1968 Larson All American

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Sorry for your loss. Those pics will serve as a Great Memorial for you!!! Thoughts and Prayers to you and yours!!!!

Last edited:

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
well, i been real busy with home repairs and have not done any work on the transom yet, but that's about to change. kinda excited ordered 10 gallons of seacast from ecowolf and just placed an order with iboats for drain tubes, so i will soon be doing some chainsaw work:D

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
thanks, at least its not the floor and stringers this time. i can see the darkness through the inner skin around the drain and lower motor bolts, guess i didnt seal them good. the rest is still dry and solid, will probably be a bear to remove, last time it was all mulch, easy to scoop out. the seacast was expensive but is supposed to be waterproof.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Make sure ya get all the wood out and clean ,clean ,clean the best ya can .. Give it multiple acetone baths before the pour ... The best way would be to remove the inside skin and grind it clean but you may not want to go to that length... Make sure that you mix the product just how the instructions say .. Ya have more working time than you might think .. ;)

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
the seacast arrived today:joyous:. i went out after work and pulled the evinrude off the transom. just need to remove the trim pieces and cut the top off so i can start boring holes.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Make sure ya get all the wood out and clean ,clean ,clean the best ya can .. Give it multiple acetone baths before the pour ... The best way would be to remove the inside skin and grind it clean but you may not want to go to that length... Make sure that you mix the product just how the instructions say .. Ya have more working time than you might think .. ;)

after spending all day trying to dig out the damp wood with a chainsaw i have decided it will be easier to remove the inner skin. this way i can also fix the outer skin where the motor mounts started tearing through, from the inside. i have determined it will be worth the extra glass work, plus the inner skin has buldged out from the wood swelling and is now more like 2" gap and my seacast was calculated to fill 1 1/2" . i bought some of the spacers, and will use them as a guide when glassing the inner skin back.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
i have most of the wood out, have been sick:sick: so progress is slow. whats left is the ends and the wood is solid and stuck to the outer skin very well. has me quite exhausted:faint2:, wishing it had rotted more at this point:rolleyes:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
after spending all day trying to dig out the damp wood with a chainsaw i have decided it will be easier to remove the inner skin. .

A little extra work but well worth the effort . Now you know you'll have good clean glass to stick to ....
Hope ya start feeling better !

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
at about 10pm i plucked the last splinter of wood from the transom. now i got to get some fiberglass supplies, and a drill to mix the seacast. talked to a guy earlier who has a 1/2 inch dewalt on craigslist, he didn't know if it was 6 amps, and was out running errands, so he will call when he gets home to let me know if its big enough

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
the drill was 7.2 amps, so i went and picked it up for $30. the instructions to the seacast say 6 amp or larger, so it should work.:D now i have to buy a mixing paddle and some fg supplies and i will be able to get back on the river:fish2::whoo:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Make sure you grind all the old residue down to clean glass and wipe with acetone really well ...
Pics ?

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Make sure you grind all the old residue down to clean glass and wipe with acetone really well ...
Pics ?

i have been taking some pics but i cant find my adapter to transfer them to the puter so i can upload:noidea:. i am going to search for it later, hope i can find it. i want to show my progress

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

found my adapter:D

Attachments

• photo219677.jpg
    photo219677.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo219678.jpg
    photo219678.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo219679.jpg