composite stringers

wilsoncops4

Cadet
I just wanted to know if anyone could tell me if they had thought about using composite lumber to make the stringers since it is used for outside decks. I do not know if the pastic would maybe deterate enclosed in the area of the hull. anyone have any knowledge of this idea......Any information would be helpfull...... I know there is a company that makes a stringer that can be glassed in and they have CSM on the sides to tab them in... The name of the company escapes me at the minute.

sdb1966

Cadet
Re: composite stringers

I thought about the same thing,even went and bought a piece to use, but I discovered that it had very little side to side strength and went with what was original in it which was wood. I would not suggest that you use it and concentrate more on doing a good job on sealing the deck and keeping water out in the first place. Thats just my personal experience.

benjh1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was thinking the same thing but ended up using Nidabond pourable material. The composite lumber is awfully heavy.

ben

chriscraft254

Commander

Composite deck material is not suppose to be used for load bearing anything. Even on a deck you will see treated lumber as your framing underneath. If you want you can use seacast or nida pour,but it is expensive. You can also use marine plywood sandwiched together and then coated with fiberglass/resin.

Hydra-sport_Road-kill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wilson, could the company you were thinking be PRISMA? I think I came across them on youtube looking for Frisco's shows. The composite material for stringers is almost as redundant as the pressure treated wood question. I'm not being tacky or negative, I just think these issues should go into a sticky with all due discussion, debate and resolution. But then, I'm just a twit.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Wilson, I agree with previous posters on not using composite. I have used it on my boat but only where strength is not a consideration. It's weak and heavy and fiberglass materials may not adhere well to it. I have wondered though about using aluminum for stringers in a fiberglass boat or is that some kinda blasphemy? Aluminum Starcrafts use a custom made Z cross-section of relatively light material for stringers. You could have it custom formed, if necessary, or maybe properly glassed in place, just a flat piece vertical might do. You could also but structural aluminum in a number of standard configurations, such as:
http://www.metalsdepot.com/Cart3/viewCart1.phtml?LimAcc=$LimAcc&aident=
Has anyone every used aluminum stringers in a fiberglass boat? - Grandad

Hydra-sport_Road-kill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Wilson, I agree with previous posters on not using composite. I have used it on my boat but only where strength is not a consideration. It's weak and heavy and fiberglass materials may not adhere well to it. I have wondered though about using aluminum for stringers in a fiberglass boat or is that some kinda blasphemy? Aluminum Starcrafts use a custom made Z cross-section of relatively light material for stringers. You could have it custom formed, if necessary, or maybe properly glassed in place, just a flat piece vertical might do. You could also but structural aluminum in a number of standard configurations, such as:
http://www.metalsdepot.com/Cart3/viewCart1.phtml?LimAcc=$LimAcc&aident=
Has anyone every used aluminum stringers in a fiberglass boat? - Grandad

G-Dad, See Jon's resto thread post #8 for pics to answer your question.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Composite deck material is not suppose to be used for load bearing anything. .

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
DO NOT use composite decking, trex or any other brand. Also, resin will not adhere to it chemically. I can snap that stuff on my knee. Use CDX, ACX, MG plywood, whatever $$ permits and encase it in glass. 2 layers 1708... alternating with 1.5 oz mat