how much does a 50 hp outboard weigh

brianis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
just curious how much just a guess i need to remove it the brace on the outside of the motor is digging into the fiberglass i need to reinforce it on the inside as well as the outside and what should i use aluminum plate or will treated and poly wood work as i have plenty of that on hand. As for weight i ask because gonna use somekind of hoist system off my garage rafters of course ill reinforce them.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: how much does a 50 hp outboard weigh

They vary tremendously in weight, so with no other info on which one you're asking about there isn't an answer.
I had a 50HP Johnson that I could I just pick up off the transom and put on the rack, there is no way I could do that with a current motor.

brianis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i know the transome is good when i was putting a new floor in i cut into it from the inside but it is tearing into the glass on the outside not leaking at all but gonna reglass it and put some reinforcement on there just because

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer

shouldnt be to heavy
span a few truses, with a 6x6 or sumthing then put a chain around the 6x6 in the middle
then hoist i pulled a sbc like this
but be carefull the outboard will be top heavy...

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Mine was under 200lbs. The neighor and I easily lifted the Johnson 50hp on my StarCraft off and on when I redid the transom board.

You can try looking here @ NADA for a dry weight.