epoxy or spar varnish for new plywood transom on tinny?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: epoxy or spar varnish for new plywood transom on tinny?

Depends! Epoxy will need Marine Varnish Regardless due to the fact it has No UV inhibitors. It does have more inherent strength. Personally, if you can get to the wood in an easy fashion then I would apply 4-5 coats of a good Spar Varnish with lots of UV inhibitors and call it good. Pay close attention to the edges of the wood cuz that's the most like area for water penetration. I really like Epihanes Spar Varnish for Marine use.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=SyGOTozJBMmNsAKbhuS6AQ&ved=0CGQQ8wIwAg#

Not cheap, about $30 a quart, but some of the best made IMHO.

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

Epoxy will need Marine Varnish Regardless due to the fact it has No UV inhibitors.

Would that still be the case since he is doing the transom and it will not be exposed to uv rays?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This is a "Tinny" and it will be exposed to the sun, unless it is completely covered an aluminum plate which I doubt, but it could be.

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class

The wood is very exposed in this boat. I will just do the spar varnish...thanks!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I would use Epoxy ..

As soon as you screw your OB on there your going to pop the varnish.

Top coat with a few layers of UV clear coat of whatever .. but your initial coats should be epoxy.

I would suggest you do not apply varnish where the mounts/bolts are going to be.

YD.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Epoxy @ 3-4 coats then paint:)