Paint or coat porous fiberglass deck

GaryMinor

Recruit
I have an old laser sailboat with a weather worn deck. It seems to be porous, with thousands of minute cracks on the fiberglass surface. I would like to seal the surface with something that will penetrate and seal, but not necessarily build up a thick film. The original deck has a rippled surface designed to give traction and I don't want to make it slick.

I have used Imron two part paint on another boat, and have some left. Would that be a good solution? I considered spraying it on,and then wiping it off, leaving the paint in the cracks.

I have a HVLP spray system and respirator.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: Paint or coat porous fiberglass deck

I have an old laser sailboat with a weather worn deck. It seems to be porous, with thousands of minute cracks on the fiberglass surface. I would like to seal the surface with something that will penetrate and seal, but not necessarily build up a thick film. The original deck has a rippled surface designed to give traction and I don't want to make it slick.

I have used Imron two part paint on another boat, and have some left. Would that be a good solution? I considered spraying it on,and then wiping it off, leaving the paint in the cracks.

I have a HVLP spray system and respirator.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Look up KiwiGrip, This stuff was originally designed for sailboats in New Zealand. It is a roll on non-skid. It may work for your application. It is easy to use and is non skid.

You may want to post some pics to get furthur advice. Good luck.