caulking gun with needle nozzle ?

orlandoclippertim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am removing corrosion on my aluminum orlando clipper. Where the hull plates come together they have an outside cap strip about 2 inches wise and 2 double rows of rivets. You can see some type of black sealant they put between the cap strip and the hull plates. When I look inside I can not see this sealant. They have left a gap about 1/8inch between the ends of the plates. There is no black sealant showing in the gap. At som point I would like to put some kind of sealant in that gap to keep dirt out and also as a water sealant. Is there such a thing as a caulking gun that has a needle tip ( like on a grease gun) that I could lay the end of the needle in the bottom of the 1/8 gap so that I can try to avoid getting air underneath the sealant ? The gap is about 1/8 to 3/32 wide and about 3/32 deep. Also would you use the white marine sealant I see everywhere ? or a paintable silicone caulk ? ( I wonder if the acetic acis in silicone caulk might be corrosive to aluminum ? )
I have used a black areospace 2 part type sealant for setting in aircraft windshields. Can't remember the number though. Hardens in 24 hrs and is pretty firm. I'm sure that would be aluminum safe but it might be too viscus to go through a fat needle. Have not decided if I will paint the floor. It appears to have some of the oregional paint which appears to have been an odd shade of blue-green that I have seen on the insides of some other restored boats.

How come there is no subforum for aluminum hulls ?

Tim

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: caulking gun with needle nozzle ?

You can buy a Blank and put your caulk into the grease gun. Or you can try using a syringe filled with your caulk ( might be too thick for this though ).

I know that my 3m caulk gun will push some heavy stuff through it .. but those are like 50 bucks for the gun.

YD.

sje0123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How about one of the syringes they use to inject flavoring into meats?

ie
IMG_15461.jpg

orlandoclippertim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

YEAH ! I think I have seen an all stainless one at bass pro shop here . Its calles a marinading injection kit or something like that.
Great idea !
Thanks.
Tim