re-welding cuts - having trouble with jon boat transom replacement

jonboat2

Seaman Apprentice
i need to replace the transom. Can i use alumiweld on this.

DSC00928.jpg

DSC00929.jpg

Or is it too much of a structural piece of transom.

If i cant how much would it cost to tig weld it?

I wonder if the guy assembling the boat said, "I feel sorry for whoever wants to change the transom."

5oldjohnsons

Cadet
Re: re-welding cuts

Do you just want to replace that top triangle shaped corner of the transom? Why does it need to be replaced?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I see some rivets, I would drill them first and see if you can get the new wood in that way, I can't imagine that they welded all the bracing after the transom wood was in.

You absolutely DO NOT want to cut that piece out it is a major tructural member of the boat and would need to be welded back in by a real welder, Alumiwaled-JB weld would never hold that, Alumiweld is an epoxy that sits on top of the part and I am certain that it would break the first time you took the boat out.

I am a master level aluminum tig welder and would never ever consider cutting that out and rewelding it, there has to be another way to get it, as I said rivets are easy to replace and I am sure that is the answer to replacing the wood.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I agree with 5150.

What brand/model of boat is this? Can you post more pics of the inside and outside of the transom? There's gotta be another way.

It looks like that is gonna be a royal PITA to change. You may want to contact your manufacturer about this.

jonboat2

Seaman Apprentice

1984 flat bottom starcraft. i'll post more pics tommorow.

jonboat2

Seaman Apprentice

DSC00930.jpg

This is why i didnt drill the rivets.
DSC00931.jpg

Only solid looking part of wood the rest thats off to the sides is dust.
DSC00932.jpg

Kinda looks like a tracker huh?
DSC00934.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

WTH dude! That's totally screwed up!!! They turned a fairly simple job into a major undertaking!

Now I'm not saying you should do this, but if that was my boat I'd very carefully take a grinder to those welds and then rivet those gussets back in place with 1/4" steel mandrel closed end blind rivets so I could get back in there again if I needed to... or sell the dang thing and buy one that was easier to work on.

jonboat2

Seaman Apprentice

How should i bend the lip backward so the new wood can slide in.

If yall can see the lip.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Don't bend the lip!

Remove your splashwell thru drain and slide the inside piece of sheet metal down to remove it. Then carefully pry the wood out at the bottom and let it drop down to remove it all in one piece.

Edited to say: If the bottom of the ply is being held by a "Z" channel (it's hard to tell by the pic) remove the "Z" channel to let the plywood drop down for removal.

jonboat2

Seaman Apprentice

I took that pic 2 days ago. I dont't have a camera ready to take another pic. I already took off the thru drain, sheet metal, took out all the wood, and vacumed it.

Yes it is a "Z" channel. So should i take off the z channel put the new wood in and then put the channel back on? Thanks for the help jigngrub.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Yes, remove the Z and install the wood... then reinstall the "Z".

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner.

jonboat2

Seaman Apprentice

Update: Finally finished!!!!!

DSC00878.jpg

The "Z" channel was corroded from the saltwater soaked foam in the corners.
Alluminum+SS+saltwater = not good. So i had a shop make another. (thats whats shiny in the middle)

Taking it out on the water tommorow to test it out. woot woot!!!!!!