First Boat; 1960 Duracraft Jon Restoration

bendellee

Cadet
Never thought of restoring a boat, I just liked to fish out of them. But, back in '09 I didn't have one, and was saving for a house in advance of my second child's arrival, so when my dad said I could have the old boat sitting out by the scrap metal pile--I took it.

14' 1960 Duracraft - light and narrow
1970 Evinrude 6 hp.

My grandpa owned it and sold it to my dad who fished it for a little while, and then returned to his larger procraft. My brother used it duck hunting just long enough to nearly destroy it, and then it sat in the yard for 5 years and was eventually moved to the "haul off" pile.

I hadn't yet discovered this site until well into the project, so I learned a lot restoring this boat--the hard way. For starters, if the guy at the paint store says, "If you use the right primer (aluminum self etching), you can put a latex enamel over it and it will work," that is false. Yes, it will adhere, until it spends some time in the water. Thus, I painted the thing twice. In fact, the project was two stages. Fix it up, fish out of it and decide what you don't like, and re-fix it up (including stripping and repainting it).

I recently inherited a TX-17, which is in progress, and sold this one to another family member. In advance of my post on my latest project, I thought I'd post this one. Just remember, I was, and still am, a novice. And, I invest too much in diapers, formula, preschool, etc., to pour a whole lot into either one of these projects (<$1500). Fortunately, neither of them have required that much. I caught a lot of fish out of it in a year and a half.

Here are the pics from when I started, first phase, and finished product. Start and end of phase 1 in this post. Finished product in next post.before snap 2.jpgBefore snap 1.jpgpre-paint.jpg7.26.09.1.jpg8.16.09 p.JPG

bendellee

Cadet
Re: First Boat; 1960 Duracraft Jon Restoration

End result, kinda. Right before this I had a short in my trailer lights, so I pulled the wires and rewired it, and tested it. And then took this pic before running them back through the trailer. Also, the cord at the front is for a portable depth finder. Transducer is permanent, the unit is portable, so that I can take it out with ease, and because the portable one had a self-contained battery that eliminated another cord through the boat. Underneath the brown paint is spray on bedliner with the light coat of brown over the top, so that battery box and icechest don't rub the paint off going down the road. It's painted over so it's not so hot.

The guy that bought it has actually done some more stuff (mostly to the trailer), and caught probably near a 1000 bream out of it this summer.

sale 3 resized.jpgsalepic2.jpgsalepic1.jpg