Classic SpeedBoat Restoration With Teak Deck

ChrisChase

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Classic SpeedBoat Restoration With Teak Deck

Started restoring the oringinal seats! Wipped off the vinyl which is in good nick, so will re-use that, and replaced all the rotton wood on the under side of the seats, which has also been painted. Fixed a 4mm ply back board onto the seats aswell, to stop the fabric from panting when re-upholstered.

Ive also started to laminate two pieces of 4mm ply around the corner of the dash board, as i am going to upholster the dash with red vinyl. Two pieces of 4mm ply where cut roughly to shape, which were then glued together and bent to fit around the dash curve! Of which on the first attempt one of the ply boards snapped! These have been held in place with clamps. Once the glue has set, the wood should hold its curve of which, will then be cut to the correct dash width.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Great looking boat, You are doing a very nice job. I would have never thought of the teak deck but it looks great. Nice choice.

LK

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Great work she's a beauty.

Really just posting so I remember to watch how the rest comes out.

ChrisChase

Seaman Apprentice

The wood panelling for the interior and dash board is now complete, it just needs foam padded and vinyl to finish it off.
Ive matched the vinyl with the original vinyl on the seats, which is Nautalix Lollipop red and purchased it and the foam from Hawke House in Gosport.

http://www.hawkehouse.co.uk/

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

very nice looking work as usual!

Bigkat650

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks fantastic!!

Question--do you think an 18hp will be enough power for it? Based on its weight, I would think an 18 horse will be enough to get it on plane, but not much more (maybe 20mph)... I would think a 40hp would be more in line, which would get it up around 30-35mph. Really depends on how fast you want to go I suppose.

kfa4303

Banned

I agree. While an 18 hp would probably get you on plane with one person, it may not with more folks on board, and that things looks like it was built for speed. Maybe a nice vintage OMC "Big Twin", or an old Mercury tower of power? Better still, matching vintage 18's. I had a '66 33 hp "Big Twin" that was a screamer. It was sort of bulky, but surprisingly light compared to modern 4-strokes of similar hp. It was also super reliable and easy to work on, essentially just a larger version of the 18 you currently have. I'm not sure how available motors are across the pond, but it may worth looking into. Great work so far! Keep us posted!

ChrisChase

Seaman Apprentice

Looks fantastic!!

Question--do you think an 18hp will be enough power for it? Based on its weight, I would think an 18 horse will be enough to get it on plane, but not much more (maybe 20mph)... I would think a 40hp would be more in line, which would get it up around 30-35mph. Really depends on how fast you want to go I suppose.

Nope, i completely agree. What i would like to do, is to keep the original 18hp for classic boat meets etc, and also buy a newish 30/35hp for everyday boating as i have added quite a bit of weight! :facepalm: Hopefully she'll still float?? :)

ChrisChase

Seaman Apprentice

I agree. While an 18 hp would probably get you on plane with one person, it may not with more folks on board, and that things looks like it was built for speed. Maybe a nice vintage OMC "Big Twin", or an old Mercury tower of power? Better still, matching vintage 18's. I had a '66 33 hp "Big Twin" that was a screamer. It was sort of bulky, but surprisingly light compared to modern 4-strokes of similar hp. It was also super reliable and easy to work on, essentially just a larger version of the 18 you currently have. I'm not sure how available motors are across the pond, but it may worth looking into. Great work so far! Keep us posted!

Yes the 18hp i have is the oringinal to the boat, it was apparently built as a ski boat, and the previous owner said it would get on the plane with three people. But with the added weight, a vintage 33hp BigTwin would be perfect!! But over here in the UK they are few and far between, but if i saw one for sale i wouldnt think twice about buying it!

ChrisChase

Seaman Apprentice

Side panels and dashboard foamed and covered in red vinyl! The seats have ben re-covered with the original vinyl. The dashboard had 8mm of foam and the side panels has 4mm.

ChrisChase

Seaman Apprentice

Picked up the engine today from the servicers- ABC marine, in Hayling Island.
Apparently its now running sweet!, all they've done is basically give it a re-tune, as i'd already done a complete lower end and gearbox overhaul!

Im going to run the engine tomorrow, and will upload a video of it running tomorrow evening!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Looks sweet. The curved dash turned out great

ChrisChase

Seaman Apprentice

Had the engine running today after coming back from its service. Its running a lot better then it was but the low speed knob needs some adjustment due to the engine cutting out if the knob is set to anything other then its highest setting.
Here's two videos of it running, its a 1970 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp, the plastics on the cowling to protect the paint as i need to give it a coat of lacquer and dont want any dirty finger prints on the white paint!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice work on the side panels & dash! Good looking deck work too.

Have a great week & this side of the big pond is anxiously waiting for the official Splash date!

ChrisChase

Seaman Apprentice

Hi guys,
Thought you may all like to see this! Got the boat out of the garden on sunday in the rain, the same way it came in! Through the gate on its side! Here's a few photos!

We modified a trolley to get the boat through and the trailer