• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Boat Seat Repair/Fastening to Fiberglass Floor

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat Seat Repair/Fastening to Fiberglass Floor

I currently own a 17' 1972 Lightning Tri-Hull Bowrider Runabout. The boat has back-to-back seating on the drivers and passengers side. The vinyl seats/frames are still in usable condition, however the seat bases (essentially a wooden foundation box creating room for stowable items under each of the seats) are pretty much rotted out and unusable. I have hardly any boat repair knowledge, but I would like to attempt a do-it-yourself fix for the boat seat bases. I don't want to spend that much money, but I am handy with tools/repair projects. My biggest question is, what is the best way to secure a constructed seat base to the floor of the boat? I would also like to know what the best type of material would be to construct the seat bases out ot (treated wood vs. plastic of some kind). Can anyone help me out with some information? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

Re: Boat Seat Repair/Fastening to Fiberglass Floor

Welcome to iBoats!

A few questions.

What is the height of the existing bases?
    Do you want to maintain this same height?
    How are the bases currently attached?

Materials would be 3/4" Ext. Grade Plywood
    Coat with Epoxy or Poly Resin and Mat
    Sand and Paint or Gelcoat for final appearance.

Your answers will give me more details with which I can give you some ideas on how to build and attach.

Click image for larger version

Name:	da15ff456fdbd55d2058f1171ead8022.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	92819
    1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
    Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
    Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint

Comment

Re: Boat Seat Repair/Fastening to Fiberglass Floor

Originally posted by Woodonglass View Post
      Materials would be 3/4" Ext. Grade Plywood
      Coat with Epoxy or Poly Resin and Mat
      Sand and Paint or Gelcoat for final appearance.
      Good advice from Woodonglass and this is the proper way to do it. Just be careful in your DIY that you don't exceed the price of these with your materials and supplies http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wise-Ski-B...-Navy/15135493 cuz that would just be silly
      1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
      Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767
      1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
      Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338633 sold

Comment

Working...
      X