fiberglass floor removal

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class
What is the best way to remove the floor in my boat that appears to be fiberglassed in?
I was able to tear up around a square foot of my floor back where the bilge pump sits, and the floor was completely rotted. The floor is soft and when hit with a hammer, it sounds hollow. However most of the floor is solid, and when hit with a hammer sounds solid. So I am not sure how far back the damage goes and need to rip up the floor to see.

my options are to try and repair the boat, or to buy a boat frame that is in good condition ad jsut move my engine to the new frame. there is a glastron 16 foot boat selling for 200.00 where i live. I am just not sure what is the better route.

What is the best way to remove my flooring? can I use a circular saw set to 1/2" cutting depth? most of the fiberglass on the floor is solid so ripping it up by hand will be difficult.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: fiberglass floor removal

Yup, skil saw set to the thickness of your deck so you don't cut through anything else. You can cut it up into managable pieces.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the above is how you do it.

on the 16 footer.......you are assuming that the 16 will be in good shape......depending on the year....i can guarantee you that you might be doing the same deck /stringer /transom replacement in a few seasons.

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree, I will inspect any new boats 100% before buying.

To replace some to all flooring or stringers on a boat, what is usually the cost of materials for this job. Just need to see if it more cost effective to buy a different frame than sink money into this one.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The problem with that is any hull with some age on it will probably be in the same shape, unless it's been well taken care of. This means kept covered or indoors when not in use.

As a rule aluminum boats will be easier and cheaper to fix-up than fiberglass.