1985 Sea Sprite 185XL Rotten Deck Replacement

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: 1985 Sea Sprite 185XL Rotten Deck Replacement

That rotozip threw a ton of fiberglass dust in the air.
So will every other method you use...
Cover your self thoroughly in talcum powder, use long sleeves, protect your eyes, wear hearing protection, long pants, try to cover ANY exposed skin, or you will be itching like MAD...if you only get some goggles like I did, use a little vaseline to help seal them around the edges, otherwise get a full faceshield respirator, looks like a gas mask, but with a huge lens, they run about a hundred bucks, but their greatest advantage is they don't fog up as readily as the goggles will...
Have fun,
GT1M

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

resp17.jpg

yes... talc is great... scarf is helpful... good gloves are huge. boots...

Me1stBoat

Seaman

good gloves are huge.

Got the gloves covered. i worked in the fire svc prior to starting my own computer business. Still have some of the gear laying around. Here's a couple pics of the gloves i've been wearing. The patches on the palm and backs of the fingers is Kevlar. :D

IMG_0063.jpgIMG_0064.jpg

Me1stBoat

Seaman

Got a little work done this evening but i need a Lowes trip like i said earlier. Here are some pics with questions.

View attachment 121351

It appears my deck does not run all the way over to the sides of the hull. That bottom square box runs all the way along the side of the boat ending just past where the captains seat would be. I dug into the foam underneath it and didn't hit another stringer. Is this going to cause problems on trying to mate the deck to the hull on the sides??

This pic shows it running up the side of the boat.

View attachment 121352

Let me know what you guys think.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi bud........welcome to the dry dock. looks like you are having fun.

couple of things for you.......

i found that when i was ripping my boat apart.....that all my muscles were sore......i mean really sore. at the time, i was in pretty good shape from moving appliances and mattresses all day.
i am still sore when i do a rip and strip on customers boats. but it is a wee bit better form the first time...lol

the circ saw cut to the depth of the deck works best. you will leave a "lip" around the edge, but we can worry about that later.

i know that you want to see whats under there.....and how much you have to do......but be patient.......the circ saw will heave the deck cut in less than an hour.....and up it comes.

then you can see everything.

the little pidgeon holes in the deck were for adding foam form the factory.......i did a thread about foaming and installing a new deck.....ill give you some reading here.....it may help during the tear out.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=522237&highlight=replace+deck+foam+hull

your roto zip threw a lot of dust in the air.......well wait till you start grinding....lol

after the deck is out....one easy way to remove the wet foam is with a pick axe maul......a 3 inch wide blade on a pick axe...... it takes 1/2 hour of absolute go for it agony.....but its all out in no time. the tip of a chain saw also chews foam like soft butter.

hope this helps
cheers
oops

Me1stBoat

Seaman
the circ saw cut to the depth of the deck works best. you will leave a "lip" around the edge, but we can worry about that later.

Thanks for the reply oops!! And thnx for the reading. Was reading through the foaming part and wondered is the pool noodle/pink foam sheets for metal boats or can that be used on a fiberglass hull like mine??

The circular saw idea actually puts me at ease as I was kinda worried about going at my boat with a sawsall!! I could see me doing something stupid and adding to the repairs.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Foam is foam on any boat... even if it is a less attractive tinny ;)

I think Ezmobee used noodles on his SS

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the reply oops!! And thnx for the reading. Was reading through the foaming part and wondered is the pool noodle/pink foam sheets for metal boats or can that be used on a fiberglass hull like mine??

The circular saw idea actually puts me at ease as I was kinda worried about going at my boat with a sawsall!! I could see me doing something stupid and adding to the repairs.

noodles or another type of floatation can be used....but it depends on the hull, some hulls need foam as a structural component. some dont.....

this call we can help you make at a later stage bud.......but at least think about some type of floatataion

Me1stBoat

Seaman

this call we can help you make at a later stage bud.......but at least think about some type of floatataion

After reading your hull extension thread, somewhere around post 4158 or so, i think i'm going to "bag" the expanding foam. I love the idea of isolating anything that can retain water. Know i'm getting way ahead of myself but i was doing research, i'm also considering putting the stringers back in with SeaCast instead of wood.

Whats everyones thoughts on that??

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i was thinking today.....if you used foam.....and really glassed the shape of them......and used the glass as stringers.......you would never have to worry about rot....ever....its the glass that is the stringer.....not the foam...if the foam got wet.....who cares...it would still be light.

but seacast for stringers would be spendy

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I misread you post, my bad. I used insulation foam sheeting.. worked well and was free. If you're gonna do anything in seacast you need a mold around it like for the transom. Its very pricey stuff. I'd stick with wood and do it right and the boat willl outlast me (and im young!) I'd skip it and use exterior graade wood + glass n poly resin.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

i was thinking today.....if you used foam.....and really glassed the shape of them......and used the glass as stringers.......you would never have to worry about rot....ever....its the glass that is the stringer.....not the foam...if the foam got wet.....who cares...it would still be light.

but seacast for stringers would be spendy

Oops, there are plenty of boats like this! Produceguy's (cobia I think) boat had foam with glass around it. I think you could even use like PVC or carboard tubes... just to hold the shape.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yup....that all you need is the shape to glass over....bayliner came up with it in the late 80's

but even if you still use wood.....the boat will last another 40 years.....

JDA1975

Lieutenant

yup....that all you need is the shape to glass over....bayliner came up with it in the late 80's

but even if you still use wood.....the boat will last another 40 years.....

I was considering something similar, only hollow. I was thinking about cutting my stringers to fit, with 2 X ## lumber, but not bedding them. Then I was going to lay them out on a table and glass over them (using some form of mold release, yet to be determined) After several layers for a decent thickness/strength, take them off my "molds" and tab the stringers into the hull (could also fill with some sort of foam if wanted). what ya think oops? I know it would be a more expensive route, but I really don't like wood in boats!

Another Idea I had considered is I have a hull that needs to be cut up...If I cut the into strips and laminate them together to get 1" or so of thickness... and make my stringers out of solid glass.

how bad are these ideas...sorry for the jump in on your thread M1B, but the answers may be useful to you as well

these are just the ramblings of a mad man....you never know what I will think of next

Friscoboater

Captain

I just saw your question about what I used to cut out the deck. I started with some samll tools and then put my big boy pants on and used the big tools. I started with a circ saw set to 1/2" and then used the saw all for the rest.

Me1stBoat

Seaman
Hey guys. Wanted to update the thread real quick. Life got in the way! Wife & I were expecting our 2nd child, she decided to come early and spent a week in the ICU at Children's Hospital.

Wife and baby are now home so maybe I can get the deck at least cut out tomorrow.

I'll keep ya updated and I'm still workin on her!!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Blessings to you and your growing family.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Congrats! We've got #2 coming in January.

Me1stBoat

Seaman
Thnx guys, really appreciate it!!

Got all the old carpet torn out in between visitors today to see the new addition! Miss Aubrie Claire is eating up the attention!!

In the process of tearing out the carpet, looks like it was laid in the factory prior to the cap being put on. It extends past the windshield up under the seat boxes in the bow.

I'm going to continue on and not pop the cap until I absolutely have to. Don't know why it scares me so much but it does. Just really, really don't want to pop it unless I have to!!

Anyway, hope to have the old deck mostly cut out today. Will post pics later this evening!!