1 layer of chopped mat enough for a deck???

rebuilt

Petty Officer 1st Class
:confused: Just finished laying up the deck with 1.5 oz chopped mat in poly resin. I had planned on top coating that with 18 oz woven roving, for strength and longevity, but the resin usage is really startin to take a financial toll. The roving is bought and paid for, months and months ago, but I'm starting to question whether it's really necessary or not. Some knowledgable feedback is needed here. Thanks in advance. Kevin

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1 layer of chopped mat enough for a deck???

there is much disagreement on how much glass to use for a deck.

some say 25 oz..(a full 1708 layup)..some say one layer. (one layer of chopped is not good enough).

what you are truing to do with the deck....is water proof it.....and add some structural stability for it....this can be acheived with as much as 8 oz of glass.
with ALL my decks....they get a full 1708 tabbing to the hull....(this is a very structural spot) but the deck it self...gets two 1.5 csm...and a final 6 oz finishing layer. all at the same time. so not much more resin us used......the final 6 oz finishing veil, does not need any resin. as it just soakes up excess resin from the csm. it allplies like a dream...and gives me a smooth finish to gellcoat or carpet.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

As you are finding out the amount of resin needed is amazing. However, if you don't want to have to do it again, OOPS is spot on.

Here's a drawing of how it should be done.

Click the pick to enlarge

Decks.jpg

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with the previous posts. In my opinion 1 layer of csm isn't enough. I used 2 layers of csm on my deck and think that would be a minimum. If you do them at the same time the second layer doesn't take as much resin as the first. I did what oops described, but I didn't do the 6 oz finishing layer. If I were to do it again, I would do it exactly like oops described.

rebuilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. I ran the csm up the sides of the hull 2" all the way around, and will layup the roving to lap that by another 2". It's not the absolute prettiest, but it's sound and tight. I will go ahead and buy the resin needed to do a roving layer. It's gonna be a small fishing, family play boat, so I'm gonna let the coarse roving double as a non skid top coat. We'll paint, not, carpet. Thanks, Kevin

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Two coats of Rustoleum Professional Oil Based Enamel with the Hardener will give you a Nice finished deck. Check out page #10 in my "My Flamingo" Thread listed below for details on how to apply.