Pontoon rebuild / redesign

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Here we go....I really didn't think I would ever have a pontoon boat, but I need something a little bigger than Miss Morgan sometimes. It looks like its going to be a while before I can get a Sleekcraft Ambassador built, so I thought this might be a good short term solution.

The more I thought about it, this might be a fun challenge. I might get into trouble here, but the 20 year old pontoon I bought, more or less looks like the same thing they are building today. For that matter mine more or less looks like the first ones they built. So instead of just rebuilding it, I want to look at some style upgrades as well as doing somethings I haven't seen before (doesn't mean that someone else might have done it).

Here is what I ended up buying an 87 Tracker 24' with a 87 Mercury 45.....motor runs, not bad for $1,100, I figure the scrap aluminum would be worth that.

IMG_2072.jpg

IMG_2071.jpg

It came with a rigid top, but its a little trashed and I'm thinking that it would be a pain.....and its not exactly sexy! I took it anyhow, I might use it if I build a sun deck....more welding....

I'm guessing the carpet won't clean up, lol!

IMG_2073.jpg

Hmm the deck looks suspect to me....think I can save it? :D

IMG_2093.jpg

The Merc is a pint sized version of Max, same year even!

IMG_2095.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2072.jpg
    IMG_2072.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 0

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: Pontoon rebuild / redesign

So far I have manage to get the rail off, it has been so hot I haven't had much time to work on it. The rail was put on with stainless steel bolts and STEEL nuts, brilliant idea! Most came off with the grinder.

IMG_2101.jpg

I'm thinking I may need a new console....:D

IMG_2103.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if you throw a rug over the deck.....you might get away with it !

what are you going to do?,,,,gonna let us in?

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seen your Ms. Morgan thread and know the barge will turn out great!
How about a Tiki hut??? Palm fronds and twinkle lights, the Sleekcraft anchored next to it?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I have been brain storming and ask a few freind for ideas on the redesign....feel free to throw any out, the more off the wall the better! I have found at work some of the most off the wall ones turn into great ideas! Here is what I have so far.
  1. Slide outs....like on an RV
  2. Grill.
  3. Generator.
  4. Bar stools that fold down into the water....swim up bar...
  5. Ice chest, can't forget that!
  6. Drop down TV and satellite antenna, for early fall OU games!
  7. Lots of speakers.
  8. Sail shade maybe?
  9. Under deck storage, seems like it would be easy to do.
  10. A hammock that swing out over the water on davits.
  11. Sun deck.
  12. I have to do something about those hideous side rails....maybe make some kind of cool shaped fiber glass rails?
  13. Fold away console? Maybe to big of a pain in the butt, hate the big boxy ones!
  14. Built in fuel tanks, might clean up the aft some.

Some of these are pretty standard, but I wanted them on the list.....I would hate to get to the party spot and figure out that I didn't have an ice chest! Have any ideas, throw them out....oh yeah I forgot the trampoline idea :D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I like the Tiki hut and palm tree idea! I need to also go pick up the other "free boat" that came with it. The hull is pretty trashed, a bass boat. But it has a late 70's tower of power hanging on it...a 90hp. It doesn't run, and he doesn't have the title. I need to check into the lost title process to see if it is worth it. It also has a nice trailer that would be easy to sell. The tower sure would move that thing around a lot better than the 45. Hopefully I can make some more progress on the demo this weekend.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey opps, what is the process for installing the rug? Coat the bottom with resin, then slap it on the deck before it fires off?:D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Hey opps, what is the process for installing the rug? Coat the bottom with resin, then slap it on the deck before it fires off?:D

no......resin coating the rug alone wont do you any good......we need to apply vasoline to the deck area...then buff that out to restore it....

then we can gellcoat the rug on....permanent...and the rug will be a snap to clean ! :eek::D

love the folding stools/swim up bar idea.....that is fantastic. easy to do as well....if i could draw on ms paint i could whip that togeather for you in such a manner that you would not have to add the side rails to one side. the whole thing would fold up and become bench seats when underway or not in use.

if you did do the tiki hut thing....you could do this boat cheeeep !

this one is gonna be a fun one folks.....grab the popcorn....and lets go !

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Opps thanks for the info on the structural rug, lol! I like the idea of the hut...but I have this habit of making things detailed and expensive :D......just ask my clients! I need to do some measuring and sketching, but I think we could make this girl look a lot more sexy! Keep the ideas coming, right now I have a 8' x 20' floating platform that needs some direction!

kfa4303

Banned

I'm down in FL. I can send you all the Palm fronds you need, if you decide to go with the Tiki theme :) Looks like you got a fun and rather large project on you hands, but it should be fun. Maybe some solar panels on the hard top roof could power all of the bar goodies. Good luck!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

arch ......are you married?......if not.....a tiki hut with a swim up bar......a stripper pole and some good tunes, parked near a good beach will do wonders for your social life :p ;)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

oh....sorry.....i forgot......depending on the drinking and boating laws in your state. build the cooler into the deck....where it cant be seen......then throw a removable rug over it when not getting cold ones. what the cops cant see....they cant take or fine you for !

lncoop

Vice Admiral

oh....sorry.....i forgot......depending on the drinking and boating laws in your state. build the cooler into the deck....where it cant be seen......then throw a removable rug over it when not getting cold ones. what the cops cant see....they cant take or fine you for !

ARE YOU KIDDING??????? HE'S IN OKLAHOMA!!!!!:p Okay arch, I've got it! Mini driving range on the front of the deck. If you can get that tower of power hung off the back that will be the way to go. Be sure and spend some time over in Pontoons for ideas on the more mundane aspects of your endeavor. There are some really neat projects documented over there.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

EZ glad you like the swim bar idea....it ties into Opps comment....and why we need the blender to make free margaritas for the ladies hanging out at the swim bar, lol! We have an area called the Cut at my lake....party area that inspired this project :D No problem on the cold ones here in OK Opps.....there would be rioting if they took our drinks away at the lake! I'm not much of a golfer Incoop, but maybe it could be dual purpose as a dance floor?

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was bored at work today so I drew up a thought for a swim up bar that would turn into bench seating when underway.
PM me your email and I will send it on Tuesday since I can't post a .dwg file on here.

jlsperko

Cadet

A guy we run into often at Two Foot (our party area) got rid of the plastic inserts in the railings and replaced them with stained vertical wood planks. It looks good. He originally replaced them with bamboo (think he may have used bamboo shades rolled out), but it didn't weather too well. The wooden planks look nice. They are probably about 18"-24" high or so. He also painted it black, which looks nice as well.

There is another "party" pontoon boat that we have seen that has shelved liquor on the back, a blender, and the tiki hut. Also looks nice and serves it's purpose. Love the hammock idea as well as the barstools.

I remember as a kid always thinking my grandparents pontoon boat was so cheesy and wondering why anyone would buy them. Now that I am older, and we go party on the lake, I look at them and think "man, those just make sense"... ha ha. A large deck, lots of space, unlimited ideas, a grill, you can't go wrong! There may be a pontoon in my future as well.

An idea we threw out there was a slip 'n' slide with a hump at the end that would launch you off the front of the boat. Could be fun, but also a nice liability!

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry I derailed your thread with the mention of a tiki hut! My cousins had a double decker barge done up as a tiki hut with their restaurant down in Rockport Texas and I loved it. But your ideas are much cooler and sound like they're designed by an architect or something. ;)
I especially like the fold down barstools and the swing out hammock!
Good luck with the "new" Merc!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

wassv197, I'm looking forward to seeing what you have drawn up. Erwinner, you didn't derail it....I like the Tiki idea, getting everyone's ideas is what this place is all about! ....jlsperko I like the slip and slide idea.....I had thought about a slide...but the slip and slide would be cool! I have some chores to do around the house, hopefully I can get some more demo done on her later today.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

So what do you guys think about using this for decking?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/honeyc1.php

At first it looks really expensive, but if you factor in glassing a decent plywood, it isn't that much more. I'm a little concerned that it won't develop a shear plane like plywood (bracing that ties the two pontoons together). I could solve that by welding a couple of aluminum straps to the bottom of the deck joist in a X shape. By the way, what do you call the "deck joist"? I'm sure there is some marine architecture term for that.