Smoothing out fiberglass deck prior to repair and refinish.

hollenhund

Cadet
This is my first foray into total repair/recondition of a glassed boat, a 1970 14" mod v-hull SurBass that came with the 1968 40 HP Big Twin Evinrude.
So I rip out the carpet and the custom job of a deck and find enough 2 x 4's, plywood and deck straps that probably added a cool 80 or 90 pounds of weight, not to mention most of it it in some stage of rot or rust. Being the minimalist that I am my plans are to bring the boat to the bare essentials.
Then add a bench or seats fore and aft and other utilitarian components. I figured Marine or High Grade PT Ply will do for the main floor then lay
fiberglass for added strength. Instead of carpeting I will be spraying a bedliner type finish, but here is my problem: The forward part of the deck was not finished from the manufacturer and has visible waves and clumps and its extremely rough overall, I can grind down some of the sharp edges but I would like to use some kind of filler leveler that can give me somewhat of a smoother finish. Any suggestions?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Smoothing out fiberglass deck prior to repair and refinish.

hi....welcome to iboats.......lets see the rough spots. post pics.

lost of types of fillers you can add

hollenhund

Cadet

BTW My apologies to Fleet Admiral oops! Permission to come aboard Sir! I've forgotten my naval etiquette here. Thanks to all of you that share great information and sound experience. I hope to learn a lot and share my own little bit of knowledge as well.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

BTW My apologies to Fleet Admiral oops! Permission to come aboard Sir!

LOL .. that was a good one HH :) :D .. I mean .. yes its nice that new comers at least say Hello before a barrage of questions :D .

Welcome to Iboats as well m8 ..

Pics are not working ..

After the pics come in I MIGHT have a resin leveling system that might work for ya ;) ;) .. shhh.. its a secret ..

YD.

hollenhund

Cadet

I have the feeling the pics are still not working, and I've tweaked the settings on my profile. Any suggestions?

hollenhund

Cadet

SDC10337.jpgSDC10338.jpgSDC10353.jpgSDC10355.jpgSDC10356.jpgNow I have figured out. The mess up against the fence was the old add on deck, the boards sticking out were support purposes as well as the ingeniously mounted slats on the inside railing.

Last edited: