Will a new gel coat correct the color difference after removing old graphics?

hamcomm

Recruit
I am a newb to iboats and have found an answer for nearly every question I have had. However, I cannot seem to find any information that specifically addresses the question in my post title... "Will a new gel coat fix the color difference after removing old graphics?"

I have an 87 Larson citation dc190. The boat overall is in really good shape considering her age. I am gutting this fall and kicking the lounge seats to the curb, and updating the interior design with captians chairs a bench seat and sun deck. Along with all new carpeting. So I figured while I am at it, why not give the outside a new look. I have been looking at vinyl wraps but with no ROI for pleasure, I have decided against spending 3-5k just to put a 7 year wrap on.

So that brings me to this question. I am assuming that after peeling the old Larson graphics and pen striping off there will be a much darker blue underneath. So I am trying to plan ahead and determine what I am going to need here to color match after ripping off the graphics. I plan on putting some vinyl graphics on later but want to get her naked and not have "tan lines" where the old graphics were. Make sense? Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Agin I am new to posting. If this belongs somewhere else just let me know so I can learn along with everyone here. Thx
Hamcomm

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Will a new gel coat correct the color difference after removing old graphics?

hi....welcome to iboats

and yes....you are in the right spot.....this is the dry dock.

and again....yes...new gellcoat will make the tan lines go away.

but.....you are 3-5k for new gellcoat (done pro 500 diy)

you can paint. there are some great boat paints. but you are still at the 2k pro 500 diy level.

may i suggest.....when you get to doing the boat......peel off the stickers using a heat gun and see how bad the difference is.

you might be able to re finish the gellcoat in the sticker area by sanding with 400 grit....and working back to shine at 1500. then buff.

its just elbow grease.....and you might get down below the uv fade !

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Will a new gel coat correct the color difference after removing old graphics?

Yes, a new gel-coat is just like a new paint job. It will hide any and all "tan lines" that may be there...

Most people have problems matching gel-coat repairs to old gel-coat colors, but if you are doing a complete re-coat, the you shouldn't have any problems at all...

Hope this helps...

hamcomm

Recruit

Thanks for the welcome and quick replies. If I go the route of a gel coat it would be a DIY job. I have done a few befor and have been satisfied with my own work enough not to pay a shop to do it. Plus my wife would kill me if I dropped that much on a new gel coat. ;).

I like the suggestion of peeling back and sanding down to see if I can match them up myself. This would be a much less expensive approach, minus my time that is, and would keep me in the wifes good graces. I'll give this a shot here in October after I park her for the year.

Great reply and thanks for the additional suggestion. I'll repost with my findings.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yeah....just peel it off ....then try sanding a spot.....the color is the gellcoats uv protection.....so if you can sand deeper than the uv penetration (depending on the pigment) you are good to go.....if you re gell......you have to sand to 120 grit any how, so all you have to loose is a buff at 400 grit.