How to remove decals off the hull

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Whats the best way to remove the OEM decals off the hull of a 97 Yamaha? I usually use a razor scraper on really small decal jobs with no issues, but I think using the scraper would damage the finish.

Anybody done this?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: How to remove decals off the hull

I have used a heat gun, very carefully by the way. Just enough to weaken the glue. It really depends on how brittle the decals are and they glue they used. Sometimes the glue will come off with the sticker, other times it stays on the fiberglass.

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

from a fellow iboater smittyplugs
The name and stripes i got off with some carb cleaner on a rag blot it over the stickers let sit then do it again and rub it off works great...

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i use a heat gun and a safety razor.....then wipe with laquer thinner......the stickers come off fast......do it at least 3 times a week.

if you do dig the blade into the gellcoat.....just a light buff or even sand at 2000 grit and its fine

kgronseth

Seaman

I used a 3M eraser wheel from Advance Auto on a regular drill. It worked great.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

A hair dryer on the low setting .. peel it off very slowly.

If you have a metallic tape .. back off the hair dryer until it works better for you.

Yes I have had graphics that take me 1-2 hours to remove ( razors are good for nice and flat surfaces ..but not curved ones ).

Preheat lightly infront of your removal point.

YD.

orangeman

Seaman Apprentice

I use the erasure wheel in my 14v cordless drill. If you haven't used one you don,t know what your missing. Truly a case of the rite tool for the job. If you get one you will never use ahead gun again.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

BTW .. is this gelcoat or Paint ? PWC or Yamy boat with gel ?

Question for the decal removal wheel members .. with the wheel damage Imron Paint ( I already know it does not hurt the gel when used properly ) .. but what about Paint systems ?

YD.

alligatorgars

Seaman Apprentice

Might help posting a few pictures of the letters needing removal.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

we removed the lettering on my buddys truck. we removed the letters with fishing string. this left the sticky tape. we used zippo fluid and lots of fingernails.

chriscraft254

Commander

^Hairdryer and razor blade. Get the tape just warm enough until the blade slides under the tape. Different colors and different styles will differ in how hard it is to get off. Any residual glue, I clean off with acetone. After removal, more than likely there will be a slight color difference in the gel coat. You can wet sand this area and blend into surrounding gel coat. I used 600 grit and then 1000 wet. Then compound and wax.

orangeman

Seaman Apprentice

The yamaha wave runners are smc with an epoxy paint. The erasrers were developed for use on auto paint so no problem. Yacht doctor you really should give them a try no skill required to use one no risk of scratching the paint like a razor and faster.