• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

old aluminum 14' Aqua Queen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old aluminum 14' Aqua Queen

Got an old fishing boat, that has rivets/seams that seep water in places. Have heard of using "gluvit" to help stop leaks. Will a substance called "Permaflex" work? Guess its some type of waterproofing paint? Also what would be the best paint to waterproof new plywood bench seats. It's nothing fancy, just a fishing boat. I redid all the seats and transom recently, and made the middle and rear seats with lids to store stuff inside. Also put 2 batteries up under front seat to offset weight since stern has a 25 h.p. 2 stroke, and a 24v trolling motor. Thinking of a white paint to seal the treated plywood. Thanks for any help......Ralph

Re: old aluminum 14' Aqua Queen

The work you have done looks good, but you put the cart before the horse. You should fix all of your leaks and rivets and then do your inerior work.

Permaflex and Gluvit are not the same and permaflex won't work, but Gluvit will.

If that is ASQ pressure treated plywood it is going to eat (corrode) your aluminum boat. You might be ok if you take all of your wood out and paint it so no bare wood is exposed to your aluminum. Use 2 or 3 coats of paint, the exterior porch and deck paint will work.

What do you plan on using for floatation foam and where do you plan to put it? Or are you just going to risk doing without it?

Hope this helps.
    I consider overkill a job well done... plus a little extra.

There's as many ways to do something as there is people to tell you how to do it... but not all of them are the right way.

The drinking and debauchery will continue until morale improves... and maybe for a little while after.

Comment

Yeah, that was the plan to pull it all back out and paint it. I wanted to get it all set the way I wanted it first, then when its out and being painted, I will be doing aluminum sealing. Can be killing 2 birds with one stone then. I plan on filling half of the box seats each with foam and keeping half for storage of tackle etc.

Comment

I've used Gluvit and it really works well. The quart size can will be PLENTY for your boat. Just remember that it isn't UV protected so you'll have to paint it anywhere it will be exposed to the sun.
        1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
        Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767
        1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
        Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338633 sold

Comment

Working...
        X