Steering Clamp Block

crvantreese

Cadet
Hey Guys, This is my first post here although I have rebuilt most of my boat from reading post on this forum, and yes one of the first things I did was get a service manual. I am having a hard time finding a steering clamp block for my boat (please see photos). I am able to find the clamp itself and it appers to be a Teleflex clamp, although I cannot find the mount. The clamp and the mount can be reused if I can find ball nut that has broken. If someone can point me in the right direction I am ready to click the add to cart button.

Thanks for all the help you have already given me,
Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0572.jpg
    IMG_0572.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0573.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 0

crvantreese

Cadet
Re: Steering Clamp Block

Thanks ezmobee, I have looked at that clamp but I was trying to avoid having to pulg the 3 holes that are already there and drilling 4 new ones. I would have never guessed that I have the only mount of this kind ever made.

crvantreese

Cadet
Re: Steering Clamp Block

OK, I will put this thread to bed and provide my fabricated solution with photos. First see Pic1, notice the broken ball bolt with the ball rust welded in the body of the clamp. I could not find this clamp anywhere, the only one I could that came close include the mount that had 4 holes instead of three and about $116.00. I did not want to fill the existing holes and drill 4 more so I went to a local marine salvage yard and after digging around for about an hour and a half I found a clamp Pic2. The only difference was it was slightly bigger and instead of having a ball bolt it had a ball nut with ?? 20 threads. After removing the ball bolt from the mount I found that the threads inside the mount was also ?? 20 threads and most of the threads bolt were still inside the mount so I re-threaded it. The next challenge was to find a piece of ?? 20 stainless steel allthread approximately 2 ? ? long so I went to good ole Ace Hardware and picked up a 3? stainless steel hex bolt and threaded it all the way to the head because the bolt only had about 2 ? ? of thread. The last challenge was to keep the allthread from eventually backing out because the mount was threaded all the way through (you and see the cavity in Pic2). After thinking about it most of the day I got it. I?m not sure if it was a Evan Longoria home run against the Yankees or what but as the ball is in the air on the way to the stands it came to me, red Lock Tight, I won?t even all the complicated ideas I had before that. Anyway I hope this helps someone down the road. Oh yea one other thing ? Total Cost including the Lock Tight and a ? ? 20 tap and die $27.32.
Rob

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 0