1987 Chris Craft Amerosport 284 Recondition Thread

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum. I have posted up in a few others areas but I figured I would start a "recondition" thread. The boat is nice and in great shape but needs to be updated a lot. Motors are sound w/ Twin 305s and OMC Outdrives that were just rebuilt in 2004-2005.

I am looking at replacing the carpet downstairs and re-doing all the decals on the outside of the boat along with a good buffing and wax.

One problem I am facing is that all four windows on the boat leak, not horribly, and there is no damage as of yet. But the windows are cracked straight the glass and into the window frame. Is there a way to get replacement windows or would I have to fabricate a window mold and then have glass installed?? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks iBoat!! You guys rock!

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1987 Chris Craft Amerosport 284 Recondition Thread

I should mention that they have been caulked so many times that it looks like the windows are black caulk.....

skim61

Seaman Apprentice

I'm in the process of purchasing a 1988 Amerosport 284 and will definitely benefit from any posts on this thread, and post anything I encounter.View attachment 111374

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Absolutely- I will make sure to keep this thread updated. I am in the process of installing new windows, new pin striping, and new carpeting in the cabin. This winter, I am going to focus on re-doing all of the vinyl seats.. I have thought about purchasing Pontoon boat seats for some extra storage and replacing the back ones that just sit on a wooden board Like these:
http://pontoonstuff.com/pontoon-boat/211-28-quot-pontoon-seat-pontoon-bench.asp

Or doing one long bench seat across the back but then it may be an issue when trying to get in and out of the boat and when you need to access the engine bays:
http://pontoonstuff.com/pontoon-boat/11-50-quot-pontoon-boat-seats-designer.asp

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm in the process of purchasing a 1988 Amerosport 284 and will definitely benefit from any posts on this thread, and post anything I encounter.View attachment 111374

One thing that I could use some help on and maybe you would know it how to gain access to the forward bilge pump and shower sump pump... Any ideas? The shower keeps bringing water back up and the sump does not kick on.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi.....welcome to iboats

the windows can be replaced totally.....check e-bay...and in a second im gonna check iboats for you.
if you cant find the same size or shape...get justa little bigger.

as far as the shower pump....these type of pumps are never where you cannot get into them....look under the stairs...there MUST be an acess hatch for them.
if you cant find it.....call the manufacturer.
i have called many companies.....and they love to talk boats...just keep your questions to the point...they are on the clock...forget the e-mail thing...call them.
searay, regal and bluewater were especially helpful. and since you have a chris craft....(a really amazing boat) it should be no problem.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

link to chris craft......i didnt see a list of past boats....but if you log on you might find one.
watch out.....even tho they might have a forum of there own...they wont have the expertise that iboats will....they will be very brand specific...however, knowledge on basic concepts like gellcoat repair and fiberglassing might be lacking.

http://www.chriscraft.com/index.php?submenu=Home&src=

this is the iboats chris craft forum. these brans specific forums move a lot slower than the main forums.....if you post a question there.. some of the larger companys forums might move a bit faster than others....it might take a while

http://forums.iboats.com/Chris_Craft

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Holy Crap!!! You guys are awesome!!

Thank you for all of the information!! I will definitely give Chris Craft a call. I am ordering the factory OMC service, owner, and part manuals for the boat right now- Looks like it's going to take three weeks to get here but I am sure it will be worth the wait.

Thanks guys and iBoats!! I'm going to go investigate the shower tonight as well as the forward bilge pump- I want those fixed!

Bruno1950

Cadet

I just bought a 1988 284 Amerosport and was wondering where you are ordering the manuals from. I went to Chris Craft's site but didn't see anything there.

skim61

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, me too! Where are you getting these manuals?

Bruno--I am still in the process of buying the same boat you just bought and would like to correspond with you about your purchase process, boat condition, price, insurance, etc. As well as definitely keep in touch as we both discover our boats!

Bruno1950

Cadet

That would be great. The guy I bought mine from really took the time to tell me everything about the boat. The only problem I have so far is remembering it all. That's why I come to these forums. You can learn more from these guys than you can from a manual. Just got the boat 2 days ago and since it is parked in my front yard, I climb aboard regularly and search every nook and cranny. Hopefully someone comes across with a manual specific to what we have. I did order Mercruiser Stern Drives 1964 - 1991 (Seloc Marine Tune-Up and Repair Manuals) Mercruiser Stern Drives 1964 - 1991 (Seloc Marine Tune-Up and Repair Manuals)
Seloc from Amazon so that's a start.

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Guys,

Depends on what types of Factory manuals you are looking for.

For me, I have OMC engines and stern drives- so I ordered factory OMC manuals from here:
http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/index.html

If you want MerCruiser factory manuals, you will need to order them from here.
https://webapps.brunswick.com/litre...6da7a2fa1e09d68a.e34RbxaPa3qNaO0LaNiOahaObx10

Let me know if this helps you guys out.. IMHO factory manuals are the best but I did pick up a copy of Seloc as well to compare the two.

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Guys,

Alright so I have new window frames, new windows ordered from the body shop. I picked up a new stereo system to replace the casette player with... Kenwood Marine Unit (KMR-700U), Kenwood Remote (KCA-RC107MR), 4 Kicker Speakers (2 for the deck, 2 for the cabin), One Alpine 10' subwoofer with Marine Amp. Also, the entire boat will be getting new colors, everything is being repainted except for the white.

My question is that I need to replace the carpet downstairs because it's extremely old and smells a lot. What kind of carpet should I replace it with and also I noticed that when I picked up the carpet on one of the storage compartments where the dining table seat is, the plywood looks like water was in it but there is no water in the very bottom of the boat. I believe this tells me that the windows have been leaking onto that seat... What can I do about this/replace?

Thanks!

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a 1987 Amerosport 283. No Mid-Cabin as the engines are straight inboard Crusader 4.3L V-6's. The former owner had all the original manuals for the boat, engines and equipment. I'll scan them and share them if anyone is interested.

We've begun restoration too and replaced carpet, removed drapes, and generally deep cleaned. Great boat! Windshield wiper motors are toast though. Anyone know where to pick up new motors?

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Kyle,
My layout is a little different, but I found the shower sump through a cut out in the wall of a storage closet in the Head. The secondary bilge pump was accessed by lifting up the bottom step coming into the cabin. My steps are centered as I don't have a mid-cabin so yours should be different. I also found a cut-out in the cabin floor as you approach the V-berth. Nothing there, but it looks like it was designed to provide access to something. Maybe your pump is there.

BTW. Quite an honor, Kyle, to have oops! weigh in on your thread. oops!, you are a legend and are responsible for allowing me to think I could actually tackle another boat project!

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a 1987 Amerosport 283. No Mid-Cabin as the engines are straight inboard Crusader 4.3L V-6's. The former owner had all the original manuals for the boat, engines and equipment. I'll scan them and share them if anyone is interested.

We've begun restoration too and replaced carpet, removed drapes, and generally deep cleaned. Great boat! Windshield wiper motors are toast though. Anyone know where to pick up new motors?

Congrats on the boat BSnB!! Definitely upload some picture of it, I would love to see it!!

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Kyle,
My layout is a little different, but I found the shower sump through a cut out in the wall of a storage closet in the Head. The secondary bilge pump was accessed by lifting up the bottom step coming into the cabin. My steps are centered as I don't have a mid-cabin so yours should be different. I also found a cut-out in the cabin floor as you approach the V-berth. Nothing there, but it looks like it was designed to provide access to something. Maybe your pump is there.

BTW. Quite an honor, Kyle, to have oops! weigh in on your thread. oops!, you are a legend and are responsible for allowing me to think I could actually tackle another boat project!

Thanks man! I'll check those places- The boat is in the repair shop for some bodywork right now. The rivers are horrible up here so we decided to pull it out and get it ready for winter already. I am having the body guys do new pin striping and some body work with the fiberglass. Then when I get it back, I'm going to do the windows, hatches, carpet, and all the bilge pumps before winter...!

Absolutely, I agree about the honor!!! oops! is a great guy and extremely knowledgeable. I have read a lot of threads on here that he has posted on, all I can say is unbelievable!

Upload some pics BSnB!! I'll upload some as soon as I get it back from the body shop too.

skim61

Seaman Apprentice

Great info on the shower sump and bilge. I will be looking for mine next weekend when I get down to the boat again.

FYI - I have sent you all friend requests since we have similar boats. Thought it will be good to keep in contact. I don't know what happened to the other photos in my last post, but I'll try to post them here again.

Tell me if you think $6K was a good price with dual Merc 5.7L's, one with 2 hours and one with 200 hours, no invertor or generator, and no trailer.http://forums.iboats.com/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

IMAG0216.jpgIMAG0234.jpgIMAG0210.jpgIMAG0236.jpg20110507-boat-6.jpg