Cost for floor (deck) repair/replacement

ukneeq

Cadet
Hello all,
I might have a chance to pick up a really really cheap 1989 19' Bayliner. It of course will need some work. One of the things mentioned was that it would need floor repair. I am trying to see if it would be really worth buying and fixing up. The guy is wanting $500 for the boat and trailer and says that the motor just needs a starter, interior needs work, and the floor needs some repairs. So the main question I have is can anyone give me just a rough estimate on how much it would take to do floor repairs or a complete floor replacement?

Thanks!

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Cost for floor (deck) repair/replacement

First, If the floor has rot 90% of the time the transom and stringers are bad also.
Second, I would tell him to buy a starter and put it on, Take it out for a test run and see how see does.
I would say a deck,if you did it 500$.

If the transom and stringers and foam are shot 3 to 5 grand.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

total on the hull is 2k....deck is 5k

EDIT.......THESE NUMBERS ARE WRONG.......CORRECT ANSWER A FEW POSTS LATER
\

the thing that bothers me.......is.....the motor justs need a starter.....lol....heard that one before.

Last edited:

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

If it just needs a starter he would instal and ask $1000.00!! And so would you

Plan on more repairs to the motor, double the cost at least, and if all it needs is a starter, you win.

The rotted floor, as stated above is never just "a rotted floor", plan on full deck, stringers, and transom. Read a few of the transon topics right here to get an idea.

ukneeq

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. Yea I figured on putting some money into it and possibly having some other engine issues. I didn't think about the transom and stringers though. Also didn't know the floor (deck) would cost up to $5K. I figured I could put a couple grand into it and either sell it or keep it. But if it will cost over $5K to fix I would just go find a good deal on one in decent shape.

ukneeq

Cadet

So anyone think it would be worth buying and restoring?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

If you have the money and need something to do to keep you out of the go-go bars and off the streets and water go for it... but you'll never get your money back on resale.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Go Price a New boat of similar size and features. Now, figure your time and effort + 2-3K in costs for the rebuild. If you think its WORTH it to have a boat that you know everything about, know that it will last for 20 years because YOU built it the right way, then Yep I'd say buy it and go to work.

We'll be here to help you all along the way.;)

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

Just did an 87 Sea Ray 17 footer. Cost was around the 2500 mark. Used epoxy resin (polyester would be my choice on the next boat) fiberglass from uscomosites.com, along with 2 part expandible foam. plywood was external grade plywood.

I did mine in two years, but can be done much quicker if you have the time,place, funds available.

Now I know mine has new wood, sealed, and know the in/outs down to the bare hull.

If you have some basic skills and the engine/outdrive are good, go for it.

If the deck is soft, offer 500 and go from there, only if the engine and outdrive are good, if not look for another project.

Good luck my friend

oops!

Supreme Mariner

total on the hull is 2k....deck is 5k

the thing that bothers me.......is.....the motor justs need a starter.....lol....heard that one before.

sorry....this is incorrect......total for the full hull is 2k including deck...possibly as much as 2500 depending on how you do it.

with the motor done...it will cost 5k....so hull 2k motor 3k hull and motor 5k.

the boat is worth 3500

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for clearing that up oops, I know I've never had 5K even in a FULL restore from the ground up.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for clearing that up oops, I know I've never had 5K even in a FULL restore from the ground up.

lol....i was re reading the post and i caught that.....i guess im trying to answer too many threads at the same time and typing too fast.....lol....at 5k hull.....no one would want to restore boats !

ukneeq

Cadet

Thanks for everyone's replies. Something else fishy must be going on with the boat because the guy never has shown me more pics.