• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Cost for floor (deck) repair/replacement

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost for floor (deck) repair/replacement

Hello all,
    I might have a chance to pick up a really really cheap 1989 19' Bayliner. It of course will need some work. One of the things mentioned was that it would need floor repair. I am trying to see if it would be really worth buying and fixing up. The guy is wanting $500 for the boat and trailer and says that the motor just needs a starter, interior needs work, and the floor needs some repairs. So the main question I have is can anyone give me just a rough estimate on how much it would take to do floor repairs or a complete floor replacement?

Thanks!
    sigpic
    1997 17' Dynasty Elanti
    3.0 Mercruiser Alpha One I/O

Re: Cost for floor (deck) repair/replacement

First, If the floor has rot 90% of the time the transom and stringers are bad also.
    Second, I would tell him to buy a starter and put it on, Take it out for a test run and see how see does.
    I would say a deck,if you did it 500$.

If the transom and stringers and foam are shot 3 to 5 grand.
    SMOKIN BOAT [not cause she looks good]
    88 Mach 1 Challenger,v6 205hp
    Resto http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=456745
    Gauge panel http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=495963
    Swimplatform http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....d+swimplatform

Comment

total on the hull is 2k....deck is 5k

EDIT.......THESE NUMBERS ARE WRONG.......CORRECT ANSWER A FEW POSTS LATER
      \

the thing that bothers me.......is.....the motor justs need a starter.....lol....heard that one before.
      Last edited by oops!; August 19th, 2011, 04:06 PM. Reason: i had the wrong information
      The Hull Extension Thread
      great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
      November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

If it just needs a starter he would instal and ask $1000.00!! And so would you

Plan on more repairs to the motor, double the cost at least, and if all it needs is a starter, you win.

The rotted floor, as stated above is never just "a rotted floor", plan on full deck, stringers, and transom. Read a few of the transon topics right here to get an idea.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Yea I figured on putting some money into it and possibly having some other engine issues. I didn't think about the transom and stringers though. Also didn't know the floor (deck) would cost up to $5K. I figured I could put a couple grand into it and either sell it or keep it. But if it will cost over $5K to fix I would just go find a good deal on one in decent shape.
          sigpic
          1997 17' Dynasty Elanti

Comment

So anyone think it would be worth buying and restoring?
            sigpic
            1997 17' Dynasty Elanti

Comment

If you have the money and need something to do to keep you out of the go-go bars and off the streets and water go for it... but you'll never get your money back on resale.
              I consider overkill a job well done... plus a little extra.

There's as many ways to do something as there is people to tell you how to do it... but not all of them are the right way.

The drinking and debauchery will continue until morale improves... and maybe for a little while after.

Comment

Go Price a New boat of similar size and features. Now, figure your time and effort + 2-3K in costs for the rebuild. If you think its WORTH it to have a boat that you know everything about, know that it will last for 20 years because YOU built it the right way, then Yep I'd say buy it and go to work.

We'll be here to help you all along the way.
                1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
                Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
                Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint

Comment

Just did an 87 Sea Ray 17 footer. Cost was around the 2500 mark. Used epoxy resin (polyester would be my choice on the next boat) fiberglass from uscomosites.com, along with 2 part expandible foam. plywood was external grade plywood.

I did mine in two years, but can be done much quicker if you have the time,place, funds available.

Now I know mine has new wood, sealed, and know the in/outs down to the bare hull.

If you have some basic skills and the engine/outdrive are good, go for it.

If the deck is soft, offer 500 and go from there, only if the engine and outdrive are good, if not look for another project.

Good luck my friend
                  87 Sea Ray Seville Restore(Splashed)
                  http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357364

Life's to short to worry about tomorrow. Dive in and take today by the horns.
                  Bust Out Another Thousand
                  Don't foget the plug!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oops! View Post
                    total on the hull is 2k....deck is 5k

the thing that bothers me.......is.....the motor justs need a starter.....lol....heard that one before.
                    sorry....this is incorrect......total for the full hull is 2k including deck...possibly as much as 2500 depending on how you do it.

with the motor done...it will cost 5k....so hull 2k motor 3k hull and motor 5k.

the boat is worth 3500

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up oops, I know I've never had 5K even in a FULL restore from the ground up.
                      A good brand of engine is one that runs

Comment

Originally posted by Cadwelder View Post
                        Thanks for clearing that up oops, I know I've never had 5K even in a FULL restore from the ground up.
                        lol....i was re reading the post and i caught that.....i guess im trying to answer too many threads at the same time and typing too fast.....lol....at 5k hull.....no one would want to restore boats !

November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Thanks for everyone's replies. Something else fishy must be going on with the boat because the guy never has shown me more pics.
                          sigpic
                          1997 17' Dynasty Elanti

Comment

Working...
                          X