• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Project log : Runabout to Fishing machine

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Project log : Runabout to Fishing machine

Moving forward....

Now that I could sit on the seat and determine how much leg room I needed to be comfortable, I was build to build the middle floor section. construction is the same as the rear deck. With 2 holes that will be covered by drain grates. These will allow and splash and rainwater (Sometimes it rains on the only day you can get out and fish) to drain into the bilge and get pumped out. I also left a gap on each side for wiring to run through. The two dark strips are thin shims so the deck can sit flat on all 3 stringers. The center one is raised just slightly, I believe even the original floor had a slight crown in it.

Last edited by Sleeper-6; April 1st, 2013, 12:12 PM. Reason: Fixing Pictures
    Big dreams, No cash, but a whole lot of creativity mixed with a little bit of stupidity!

Comment

Now with the middle floor settled I could move forward with the front casting deck. this section will house a foam insulated livewell in the center with a deep cycle trolling battery flanking it on each side. between the live well and bow will be a storage area.

I considered many ideas for a livewell, but eventually decided to do what I've been doing. it's framed in 3/8 ply and coated with a layer of CSM on the outside and 3 layers on the inside to keep it water tight. This assembly will drop into the center of the bulkheads and be glassed in. then I will flip the assembly over and use 2-part expanding foam to fill the gap between the two walls. This should lock them together for strength, as well as insulate the livewell that will also double as a cooler on non-fishing excursions.

So far I have built, tabbed, and wrapped in CSM the main bulkhead structure and the outside live well bucket section. Hopefully this weekend I will glass them together and see how it works out. Here's where I'm at so far.

It's really starting to look like a boat again.

Last edited by Sleeper-6; April 1st, 2013, 12:35 PM. Reason: Fixling Pictures
      Big dreams, No cash, but a whole lot of creativity mixed with a little bit of stupidity!

Comment

what... no questions??

j/k lookin good bro... keep it up... what are you doin for deck paint? gel coat? surely not carpet

Comment

Thanks!

No questions that haven't been answered my MANY hours of sponging info off the forums and heavy use of the search button.

I'm thinking Durabak in a light gray for the decks. Plenty of grip and easy cleanup for the win.

Comment

Excellent looking work, I like your foam design.

What size motor you gonna put on her?... I'm thinking 150!
            I consider overkill a job well done... plus a little extra.

There's as many ways to do something as there is people to tell you how to do it... but not all of them are the right way.

The drinking and debauchery will continue until morale improves... and maybe for a little while after.

Comment

A 150 would be a somewhere between way too much fun and crapping my pants.

I do have a 74 Merc 500 (50hp) that is awaiting it's turn to be worked on. I have already torn it down and started powder coating parts and rebuilding the carbs, but it's on hold until I finish something to bolt it to. With the raised transom, I think that works out about right using the USCG formula for max HP.

Anybody know how fast these hulls typically go? I'm thinking 30-35 MPH, but that's nothing more than a guess.

With the additional weight on board, I'm keeping my seating capacity down to 2 compared to the usual 4 these would have held when new. We'll see how she rides eventually.

Comment

OK, I'm not done yet and am considering making a change already.

Sitting in the seat where it is now, it feels too high. The gunwales are about mid thigh. I'm thinking about making a step in the front edge of the rear deck and dropping it down about 6 inches. It currently sits about 10 inches off of the floor. I would loose my storage compartment, But I think it would give a more comfortable feeling of sitting in the boat rather than on top of it.

Your thoughts?

Comment

HI sleeper-6. making great progress. I was sorta thinking the same thing while looking at your pics. I suppose it's a matter of personal preference, but I prefer to sit a bit lower in the boat too. I think it helps with the center of gravity and adds to the stability a bit. I have a runabout turned fishing boat very similar to yours, and it works fine, but it was built to have a fair amount of weight bow-forward, whereas I now have most of the weight in the rear. I think it affects the performance a bit (little harder to get on plane). Weight distribution and placement is important, and generally speaking a lower, more even distribution of weight is best. If you did a second seat next to your own, you would have sort of a Bass boat set up, with decks for and aft and a sunken midsection for the helm and seating. Good luck!

Comment

That's what I'm aiming for, a single console baby bass boat.

I have been trying to distribute the weight forward where I can. The fuel tank is a good 3ft from the transom now, starting battery is just behind that. The trolling batteries will be flanking the livewell, just in front of the sunken floor area. Hopefully that will help.

Comment

I'm really enjoying this build. Great work!
                      1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
                      Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767
                      1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
                      Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338633 sold

Comment

Awesome build I will be following closely, I too have a runabout that is in need of some restoration.

Comment

Nice work. How much heavier do you think it will be? What are you putting on for power?
                          My 65 Johnson Tri-Hull restore. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=441929

Comment

Wi
                            th the additional weight on board, I'm keeping my seating capacity down to 2 compared to the usual 4 these would have held when new. We'll see how she rides eventually
                            First, I just wanted to say what a great job you've done! Second, having done something similar with a 14' Tinny, I was concerned that you had not considered the extra weight. You have. Just keep mindful of it as you start adding the finishing touches and loading the boat and you should be fine.

Comment

Sorry to leave you all hanging. It's been a nutty few weeks around here and I haven't gotten to get much work done. If you can't tell by looking at the pictures, I've been working in a bay at my firehouse. It's not the most convenient thing in the world since everything has to be cleaned up and boat put back outside before I leave, but it sure beats working in the driveway. Anyway, with the recent storm and flooding my workspace has become a parking spot for one of the township ambulances. Hopefully by this weekend things will be dried up enough for our guest rig to go back to it's usual home and I can get back to working on stuff.

For power I have a '74 Merc 500 (50 hp) that is awaiting it's turn in to be reassembled. The powerhead and lower unit are good, but the tilt and swivel points were frozen up real bad, and the shift rod is practically eaten away (down to an 1/8" in a spot). I'll make a new shaft out of stainless and press/pin the factory ends on it. I've already disassembled the bracket, cleaned up all the pivot points and powder coated it, but put it on hold until I finish up the boat. Too many projects at one time.

I'll guess I've only added about 50 extra pounds at this point. Since the original deck ran front to back anyway, the only additional structure I've put in is the bulkheads that raise up the front and rear sections (1/2" ply), livewell, and the gunwale reinforcement. The fuel load (6-12 gallons) and main battery are the same. It's still quite light at this point, I can still grab the bottom of the transom and lift the back of the boat off of the trailer if I try.

Additional weight will come from the trolling motor and 2 more batteries (about 150lbs for all 3) I'm guessing I'll be about 200-250 lbs over the original running weight when I'm all done. I know filling the livewell will add about 125 lbs of water, I kept it as low as possible and in the center 1/3 if the boat, so hopefully it will not be too big of an issue.

Comment

I was able to make more progress this weekend.

I dropped the seat mounting area down about 6 inches. It feels much more comfortable, looks better too. I lost my storage area, but it's a good trade.

I also finished making the bottom and sides of the battery boxes that will flank the livewell. While I was at it, i cut a floor for the storage area I planned in the bow. Once it was all assembles I pulled The sub assembly out and did the whole fillet and glass routine to to stiffen it up and make it waterproof. The live well is in there too. I planned on filling the gap with foam to insulate it so it can used it as a cooler for non fishing days but ran out of foam, so that was it for today.

Last edited by Sleeper-6; April 1st, 2013, 12:29 PM. Reason: Fixing pictures

Comment

Working...
                                X