• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

trying to replace wood trim on topside of boat

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying to replace wood trim on topside of boat

so i never really worked with wood but need to replace the trim on my 14 ft fishing boat the teak thats on it is destroyed so i need 5/8 by 2 by 14 call home depot they say they dont have anything that narrow except in plywood i dont want to spend a fortune on trim what do i need to do exactly on this boat to get some trim on it

Re: trying to replace wood trim on topside of boat

Call up your local lumber yard ? Get some mohog or some other hardwood.

The dimentions might kill you when you want something so small and they have to cut lumber 2" wide.

The length is not really an issue .. its the 2" wide that will.

Hard to come by 2"x 14' ( I am assuming 14' and not 14" please correct me if I'm wrong ).

Scrap yards have Plenty of teak swim platforms that they are parting out .. might check into that.

YD.
    Iboats Helper

Comment

Go buy some redwood at HD and some sealer. Cut it and seal it and screw it, Use ss screws.
      SMOKIN BOAT [not cause she looks good]
      88 Mach 1 Challenger,v6 205hp
      Resto http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=456745
      Gauge panel http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=495963
      Swimplatform http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....d+swimplatform

Comment

you can always buy the plywood and rip the pcs 2" wide your self
        New to the boating world!!! Loving learning, and restoring

Comment

yes 14 ft sorry and plywood im gonna say would look pretty nasty on the side

Comment

Originally posted by brianis View Post
            yes 14 ft sorry and plywood im gonna say would look pretty nasty on the side
            If you get the finished grade plywood and sand it it will look nice. Have seen and made alot of custom cabinets with it. Plus alot of people wrap the wood with vinyl anyway.
            New to the boating world!!! Loving learning, and restoring

Comment

You should try a speciality woods shop or cabinet shop, they can make what ever you need since you don't have the tools to do it yourself.

You may also be able to find something in the wood mouldings section of HD or Lowes. You don't have to match exactly what was on your boat, use your imagination.
              I consider overkill a job well done... plus a little extra.

There's as many ways to do something as there is people to tell you how to do it... but not all of them are the right way.

The drinking and debauchery will continue until morale improves... and maybe for a little while after.

Comment

You can PM me. I do all exotics. Shipping to the left coast may be cost prohibitive. I import a ton of Mahogany if you like red. 14' no problem
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X