Livingston Modification?

bluesmoker

Cadet
I recently purchased a used 12' Livingston. The bottom of the inside of the hull is interesting. I will try to describe. As you likely know this boat has a w shaped hull instead of v. Inside the boat, instead of there being two two-inch wide grooves on the inside of hull that corresponding to the bottom of the twin v's on the outside of the boat, at some point a flat piece of fiberglass (perhaps 6"x10') was fit over the top of each one. This creates a hollow cavity that runs nearly the length of the boat (this covering ends just about 10 inches shy of the transom). I don't know if this is on all Livingstons or is something a previous owner did.

My issue is that this hollow space has two vent holes near the transom and it tends to collect water that is difficult to drain. I am considering stopping up the holes with epoxy or silicone but am wondering if they are supposed to serve a purpose.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Willyclay

Captain
Re: Livingston Modification?

Livingston appears to still be in business so why not call their Warranty Department and see what they say? The link below is for their current 12 foot model so you can compare hull designs. My guess is the "hollow cavity" is full of foam to meet the USCG flotation regs and those holes are for self-bailing but I'm just guessing since I have never owned one. Maybe another Livingston owner will post in. Good luck!

http://www.livingstonboats.com/boats_12.html

Re: Livingston Modification?

Hey Bluesmoke,
Just found your thread and thought I'd throw in my two cents.... I too have a 12 foot Livingston and yeah, it has the flattened floor with the holes coming up that fill with water. Pain in the rear but it drains to the rear section and seems to work. My Livingston has a 25 horse Tohatsu and she sits low in the water, working out the logistics of raising the motor/transom height to keep some of the spray from getting in. I bought a boat bailing sponge but I'll probably end up buying the battery powered bilge pump to control the water and keep my feet drier.

Bottom line... Yeah it's designed that way. I don't plan on sealing the holes off as they do serve a purpose of keeping the back compartments from filling totally with water and then making the boat ride even LOWER in the water than she already does.