Epoxy putty OR 1.5oz csm mat w/poly resin to secure transom?

derek23

Cadet
Getting ready to assemble this project and faced with indecision. 1977 starcraft stinger 19' fiberglass/175 johnson ob. your advice pros/cons are great!
My plan is after I sandwich my 2 transom plys together is to encapsulate them with 1.5 oz CSM and poly resin then let cure. I've learned that epoxy resin will make a better bond to poly resined glass after it has cured,sanded/prepped properly than a poly to poly bond.
So my question is when I go to place my transom to my inside hull skin(sanded/prepped accordingly) considering the back face of my sandwiched transom piece already has a layer of 1.5 oz csm,should I;

A. apply an epoxy putty(epoxy resin/chopped strand/little wood flour) to both the hull skin and opposing face of transom and then clamp it. Then filet the edges of course using the same type epoxy putty. So the transom would be encapsulated in poly,but set in place with epoxy.

Or;

B.apply a layer of 1.5oz csm to the inside hull skin using poly resin,wet out and attach my transom. This will ultimately give me 2 layers of csm between my transom and hull skin.

If I choose B, should I cut the mat to fit the hull skin or should it overlap on to the hull side walls? AND when it dries I think I should use an epoxy putty to filet the transom edges vs. a poly putty. My top layers will be epoxy/1708.
Thanks!

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Epoxy putty OR 1.5oz csm mat w/poly resin to secure transom?

HOWDY! Welcome it iboats!
My method was similar to your 'plan B.' I think I left some extra mat to wrap around to the hull. Then I filled the gaps with PB. I didn't use the wood flour, just chopped up CSM, cabosil, and poly resin. Then I used heavy woven roven and tied it all to the hull, then more CSM. Use as many clamps as you can to bond your transom to your hull.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah,Just take care not to squeeze the s#@ out of it,as soon as the adhesive starts coming out,stop.
Good luck. Island mike

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Using epoxy or poly IMO does not matter in a trans replacement ( I only use poly and VE resins ).

Its all in the application.

A poly only application done correctly is better then a top of the line west system application done incorrectly.

I see no extreme gain using epoxy for any rebuild unless its a wood build. A good poly rebuild ( Good poly resin not that cheap crap you pick up in hardware stores ) is probably going to be better then OEM because we are so anal about our rebuilds making the Wrongs Rights sorta speak.

Do your resto in the shade and keep the resin as cool as possible before you use it ( I know guys that Craigs a free or $50 semi working fridge to keep there resins in until they are ready to mix ). ;)

I keep all of my gels and resins in a locked fridge at the shop.

Move fast, have all of your glass cut and have a helper when doing larger projects like this.

Protection protection protection .. EYES especially .. One wrong stir/pour and your semi transom install can come to a curing stand still because you cant see from one single drop of resin .. HINT.

Good luck and snap some pics :) .

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Getting ready to assemble this project and faced with indecision. 1977 starcraft stinger 19' fiberglass/175 johnson ob. your advice pros/cons are great!
My plan is after I sandwich my 2 transom plys together is to encapsulate them with 1.5 oz CSM and poly resin then let cure. I've learned that epoxy resin will make a better bond to poly resined glass after it has cured,sanded/prepped properly than a poly to poly bond.
So my question is when I go to place my transom to my inside hull skin(sanded/prepped accordingly) considering the back face of my sandwiched transom piece already has a layer of 1.5 oz csm,should I;

A. apply an epoxy putty(epoxy resin/chopped strand/little wood flour) to both the hull skin and opposing face of transom and then clamp it. Then filet the edges of course using the same type epoxy putty. So the transom would be encapsulated in poly,but set in place with epoxy.

Or;

B.apply a layer of 1.5oz csm to the inside hull skin using poly resin,wet out and attach my transom. This will ultimately give me 2 layers of csm between my transom and hull skin.

If I choose B, should I cut the mat to fit the hull skin or should it overlap on to the hull side walls? AND when it dries I think I should use an epoxy putty to filet the transom edges vs. a poly putty. My top layers will be epoxy/1708.
Thanks!

Well I have attached a drawing of how I recommend doing transoms. Epoxy is not necessary for Glass boats but you can use if if you want. Using thickend Poly resin works great and the bond will be permanent. Not saying your method won't work just showing you how I recommend doing it.

(Click the pic to Enlarge)

TransomBuild.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

I can vouch for what YD says about resin in the eyes. It HURTS!!!!!!! It actually went under my safety goggles.

Poly is fine.