Rebuild of Cheetah 176 Fish/Ski

TnReb

Cadet
I have begun my first big boat project and will try to share it as I go along. To give a little history, I bought this boat about 6 years ago from a friend who had a stroke and couldn't use it any more. It is a 1984 model, 17 1/2 feet with a 1985 150 horse Mercury Black Max outboard. The first time I took it out and opened it up it scared my wife it was so fast. The seats were rough from sitting outside, so after the first couple of seasons, I took them out with the idea of replacing them with some seats from Wal-Mart until I could get what I wanted. Of course, when I took them out, the floor was soft in several spots, so I decided to have a closer look.
I tore out the carpet on the deck and some of the decking and found much rotten wood and stringers. I had the motor running pretty well at the time, having replaced the stator, coil packs, wires and rebuilt all three carbs. I decided to put it in an outdoor spot at the closest storage place with the idea I would work on it later.
Right after this my son bought a restaurant in town and my wife and I found ourselves spending all of our free time trying to help him make a go of it in this economy. Trips to the lake went by the wayside, along with thoughts of working on the boat. It sat there for about 4 years.
My mother-in-law has a house on Lake Nottely in north Georgia, and while we were there this year for the 4th of July, my wife and I got to talking about how we needed a ski boat to go with the pontoon and the jet skis. After we got back from vacation, I decided to go get the boat from the storage place and see what I could do with it, with the idea that if I could fix it up I could either sell it and put the money towards a ski boat(which is what my wife wants to do) or keep it and use it.
The attached pictures were taken after I got it to the house and had pulled off the railings and some other items. As you can see, I had grass and a small tree growing in it.
Since then, I have pulled the outboard and put it on a stand I built (pictures in the next post), taken out the big mess of wiring, the gas tank, the windshield and other assorted items. I am now ready to remove the cap, check on the transom (which appears to be ok at this point), and start tearing out the rotted stringers and old foam. I will try to keep posting as I go along, especially since I have a tendency to start projects and then lose interest. Of course, any advice at any time is welcome! I have been going through the posts and videos by friscoboater and some others and I believe they are going to be a great help. Best wishes to all and as they say, "Here goes nothing!"

SNC00261.jpg SNC00253.jpg SNC00259.jpg SNC00256.jpg SNC00254.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: Rebuild of Cheetah 176 Fish/Ski

Looks like you have a project there! Trees growing in boats are a good sign, mine had one and she turned out sweet! I would check the transom closely, if there is any rot you might as well take it out while you have the hull split. And anything with a Merc on it is a keeper! Hang in there, if you get stuck we are always here to give our 50 cents worth!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My concern is that this isn't the boat you (read: wife) really want. In that case, I'd be looking for a better hull to hang that sweet Merc on.

TnReb

Cadet

Back with another report for the day. I didn't get to do anything yesterday but I took off work today and got a lot done. As you can see by the pics I have decap-itated the cheetah and now the fun really starts! I have also included a pic of the motor on my homemade stand with the gas tank. I think next I will try to get the hull off the trailer and eventually strip the trailer down and paint, rewire and rehardware it.

And ezmobee, I think I might get my wife to come around if I play my cards right. My kids and I like to fish and this boat is set up very well for that. My sons have already told me they are going to work on her! In any event, I needed to do major work on it before I could sell it to anyone in good conscience. Also, if I can't get what I want for it, that sweet merc can stay on it and I'll be happy to keep it in the family. I have been looking for hulls around here without motors, but it seems that for some reason most of them are I/O's.

SNC00266.jpg SNC00265.jpg SNC00264.jpg SNC00268.jpg SNC00263.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

You have some work to do there....just take it one step at a time! It takes a while, but its fun....but then again I'm addicted to this stuff! Let us know if you need any pointers or just a sounding board to bounce ideas off of.

TnReb

Cadet

Thanks Swire. Very informative!

TnReb

Cadet

Well more progress has been made. I am attaching photos of what I have gotten done. A few things I have learned so far: 1. Have plenty of Sawzall blades. 2. Have plenty of grinding wheels for the grinder. 3. Don't scrimp! Change the grinder wheels often. I used my first one until I thought it couldn't go anymore. When I put the new one on, I got about the same amount done in about half the time. We have a Northern Tool here and I am going to load up on grinder wheels today. Also, I found out today that if you don't change the wheel and think, "I am going to get through with this one part before I get cleaned up and go get some more wheels," you might get too agressive with the dulled out one and when it slips, you might just grind a little hole in the bottom of your boat. I am now a true believer. 4. Take the advice I read over and over on this forum: Take your time! Even when you want to get a lot done, slow and steady wins the race.

By the way, you will notice in the pics that I now have a new shelter for my work-in-progrss. Northern Tools had the canopy on sale for $99.99 and the sides, back and front for $69.99. More later. Off to the store for more supplies! Also, I know this is probably on here somewhere, but can someone tell me right quick how long I should let my wood dry out before I start working with it? Thanks!

SNC00286.jpg SNC00287.jpg SNC00289.jpg

swire

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How's the boat coming along?

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Doing a fine job on the demo, that is the hardest part. As to how long you should let the wood dry depends on where you buy it. Where I buy mine it is already stored inside and never seen the outside(as they say). So it is pretty well as dry as you are going to get it inside , but I do usually put it down stairs for a few days sitting by the dehumidifier. But really I am not getting it any drier, just a piece of mind :)

TnReb

Cadet

I have been at the lake since last Saturday, so, of course, I haven't gotten to work on the boat since then. My mother-in-law has a house on Lake Nottely in North Georgia, and we have a pontoon and some jet skis there. I can't wait to get this boat fixed up so I can take it there and try to convince my wife we need to keep it. We are headed home later today and I plan on getting back to work on the boat tomorrow. I am glad to hear that the demo is the hardest part because I have sort of been dreading the fiberglassing. I hope to be through with the demo by this weekend. I'm going to check the transom, but I keep thinking that I ought to just go ahead and replace it while I have the hull split. Oh well, more later! Thanks for the kind words and the advice!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Great looking project,.....

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Sure hope you took a lot of pictures and measurments. The bigle area can be tuff to get back exactly right (so the cap, gas tank, live wells, etc) all fit back properly. Also be very mindful of twisting the hull with it sitting on the trailer.

Just a few words of experience talking here.

TnReb

Cadet

Got some more work done today. The hull is now off the trailer and sitting on my homemade cradles. As you can see from the pics, they are nothing fancy, but they support it well and I have gotten everything straight and level. Thanks for the advice Cadwelder. I didn't know anything about twisting the hull until your post. I think that's all I will get done today since it is my mother-in-law's birthday and my wife and I are taking her out to dinner, so I am going to hit the shower. I still hope to finish the demo this weekend and I have about decided to go ahead and replace the transom while I have the chance. Later!

SNC00293.jpg SNC00294.jpg SNC00298.jpg

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

cradle looks like it should do the job, but should you not have some braces along the top of the hull so it doesn't flex out of shape. Maybe use some tie downs and ratchet it so it doesn't end up wider then the cap. Someone else will probably chime in and let you know how to do it. I would imagine you can measure your cap in places to make sure the hull does not end up wider.

TnReb

Cadet

I thought about getting the tie downs and using them to help hold the shape. I think when I finish the demo I will get them and strap them on before I start fiberglassing. Thanks again for the advice!

TnReb

Cadet

Well, I didn't get as much done as I would have liked this weekend. I did get the trailer stripped down and up on concrete blocks so I can sandblast it and repaint it. Then I am going to put new hubs on and rewire it. I am also going to put one of those breakaway tongues on it so I can get it in the garage. That's about it for now. More when I get back to working on it. I have kind of a busy week at work this week, so I may not get much done until the weekend other than piddling.

swire

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The hardest thing that I had a problem with was determining the height of the stringers and getting them cut level properly. I did all the stringer work with my boat on the trailer. I didn't have any straps pulling the sides in. I think that twisted the hull a little bit because the method of scribing the new stringers using a broom handle and pencil to trace the shape of the floor on to the new stringers ended up with some parts too high and some parts too low. The method I ended up using was to put a level where the floor would go and then move over to measure the distance between the hull and level at the spots the stringers would go. I think I took 5 measurements and thew drew the lines. Of course since I didn't have any straps on the hull the actual measurements were slightly off. Then cutting the stingers straight was another pain. I'm pretty sure my new floor is thicker or higher than my old floor because I've had to make some modifications when test fitting the boat back together.

On concern that I have with my project is that when I go to put the cap back on the hull is going to be pushed too wide and not fit. The sides of the hull flex a lot so I'm not expecting any major problems but it is a concern.

TnReb

Cadet

Well, I'm having to mothball my project for a little while. On Thursday night when I got home I had a notice from the city that I had to have a permit for my shelter and that the boat had to be moved. Went and talked to them on Friday and since I live on a corner lot, I have two front yards and would either have to move everything to the back yard or the one side yard. Since neither of these was feasible, I put the boat back on the trailer, put the cap back on it (what a pita!), loaded everything back in it and took it to my mother-in-law's to put it under a carport she was not using. Some gutless wonder around here made an anonymous complaint.

It's probably for the best anyway, cause I've got an old truck I need to get running and sold so it is out of the driveway and an old Supra sitting in the garage with a blown engine that I need to get out so I can clean out the garage. Then I can bring the boat back home and work on it this winter in the garage. I'm not giving up on it yet, and I will finally get a place where I can work on something when I get the garage cleaned out. This will also make my wife happy, and that's not a bad thing either. So I guess I will come back on with more when I get started again. Thanks for all the help so far and I'll see ya'll later.

swire

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry to hear about the permit issue. That stinks that someone did that. I started work on my boat last October through November so you still have some time this year yet. The boat is a big project so taking a break part way through is probably a good idea anyway. You can come back to it feeling fresh later.