pelican boat repair

hasmyone

Recruit
I have a small uerethane hulled boat called a pelican it is like a small dingy and previous owner used to drag it up and down the beach and now there is a small hole rubbed in it you can see the spray foam on the inside I need help and ideas on the proper way to patch this hole the boat still floats and doesnt seem to absorb water but still want it fixed right please help

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: pelican boat repair

I used to have a Coleman Crawdad made out of the same material and no glue I found would stick to the plastic. One thing I didn't try was 3M 5200, but you would need to scuff the plastic with a low grit sand paper to give the sealant something to bite into, it's worth a try. Apply some to an inconspicuous area of the boat and see if it sticks, if it scratches off, it won't work.

The only thing I found that would stick was asphalt based roof sealing membrane, it comes in rolls at Lowes or HomeDepot. Heat up the plastic with a hair dryer and apply a couple patches. This is asphalt based and you don't want it coming into contact with anything that will get messed up with a greasy black mark. Also, I would do and interior patch, not an exterior patch that could rip off.

Davis 103

Seaman Apprentice
Re: pelican boat repair

I have 2 of these boats with bouble hulls, a year or so ago I hit a piece of rebar just below the water line and placed a 6" gash below the water line on the port side. I contcated Pelican and they do not have a repair kit. However they did refer me to a link on their web site that sells a inexpensive repair that works great and is made for the Ram X material. it requires that you use a plastic welder with the proper rods for the Ram X material. it took 30 mintues to repair and works great. go to the Pelican web site and under the help section it will refer you to the manfacture of this product. total cost of repair was 60.00 including the shipping of the repair kit.