Marine Grade Mahogany needed

gofastsearay

Recruit
I have a 1957 General Marine Speedmaster 14ft runabout with a 1957 Mercury 40hp Mark 55E. I remember riding in this boat as a child and always loved this boat. When I was 18 my grandfather gave me the boat. Unfortunately at 18 I wanted a newer looking boat and since the transom had rotted out, I fiberglassed over the beautiful mahagany wood. I have been wanting to refinish this boat and reskin it with some new mahagony wood, but need a good source to purchase the wood from. The boat has been sitting for years which is a real shame since I had just rebuilt the engine shortly before I stopped using the boat, so your help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone would have any pictures of these boats or would know where to find some that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

Willyclay

Captain
Re: Marine Grade Mahogany needed

Welcome to the iboats.com forum. The members here are great and the experts can help you solve any problem. You need to know that we really like pictures especially classic old boats and motors like yours. As a grandfather, I hope one of my grandchildren will exhibit the same interest and passion in boats and motors as you. Good luck!

Try the link below for sources as well as Glen-L's website for lots of good wooden boat info.

http://danenbergboatworks.com/eve

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome! pics will be VIP, however a short and uninformed answer to the title of your post would be to check with Boulter Plywood (google it). They have true marine grade ply (some with mahogany veneer), but whether its the same flavor of mahogany to match what was on your boat originally I don't know (pics will tell). If it's solid lumber you're looking for, they'll have it. When I am looking for high quality lumber, they are the only source I trust (never been dis-appointed with their stuff in 13 years).

Looking forward to your next post. Hope this helps!

~BWT

gofastsearay

Recruit

The boat is mahagony plywood, the sides I am guessing are about 1/4" thick. I am not sure about the hull but the transom I beleive is 3/4" thick with solid 1x framing. I will get some pics posted when I can. Kinda embarassed to post the pics since I am the one guilty of fiberglassing over this wood and painting the 80s white with aqua fade on the boat. But I will get some posted, I would love to hear any suggestions on finishing this boat and dressing it up a bit.