Considering restoring a wooden Chris Craft cruiser

F14CRAZY

Ensign
I'm considering taking on a big project, a 1964 (or so) Chris Craft Sea Skiff 32'. Twin 327s, I think, and lapstrake plywood planking. It's a big cruiser like a Constellation but a Sea Skiff because of its lapstrake hull. It's located at the marina my Bayliner is at (on the hard) and I can get it for next to nothing.

I know this board mostly consists of restoring fiberglass boats but after doing the stringers and all in my Bayliner I'm not convinced that fiberglass is all that trouble free anyway...

I walked around the thing with a guy I know at the marina that's fixed up his own '26 or so lapstrake Owens and he showed me that it's pretty solid but will need a transom and the gunwhale board, I'm not sure if that has a better technical term, but the wood around the boat at the rubrail. I'm not that knowledgeable in wooden boats but it seems that lapstrake designs seem fairly easy to fix. The engines and transmissions are supposed to be good though I'll have to hear them run or at least do a compression test. The interior is a bit dirty but not in bad shape. The slips and storage rates at our marina aren't bad at all either.

Have any of you guys restored such a wooden boat? I understand that boat project budgets can go waaaaay over as I found out with my Capri. I don't anticipate having it seaworthy this season, or even next season, and it'll be a long term project. But I can afford the storage and shrink wrapping. The owner of the marina (in Grand Haven on the Grand River) is pretty cool and there's no problems with me working on it there. I know it'll be a lot of work to get the plumbing back in order (thank goodness I grew up working for a family plumbing business), and I know it'll need a lot of new wiring, a lot of paint, a lot of varnish, a lot of sanding...but I can work in the time and slowly fund the project. I know the twin V8s are gonna use a lot more fuel than my 3.0L Capri and filling a 150-200 gal tank isn't cheap (though it helps that our marina has the cheapest on water gas anywhere). Before too long my current financial obligations will be complete and I'll be able to pour more into the project. If I can turn the vessel around it'll be a sweet classic that I can keep for life and hopefully be able to make a Great Loop tour with.

I picked up a $500 Bayliner with holes in the deck and rotten stringers and was able to pull through and restore it...I think I have the drive to pull through on this.

What do you guys think? Anyone with personal experience with such a vessel?

I don't have pix of it yet but it pretty much looks like this

2475.jpg

F14CRAZY

Ensign
Re: Considering restoring a wooden Chris Craft cruiser

bump...no wooden boat projects?

Friscoboater

Captain

That thing is scary big. I would love to watch that restoration

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ive always wondered how crazy it would be restoring one of those.Theres a ton in and around Seattle near me and they go pretty cheap like you found.Whats the worse that could happen? you just find out you dont want to get into what you find after you have it and then off load and lose some money.Though I think that happens at times with any hobby.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

well, at least I'd have an audience :D. I'll try joining a board more dedicated to wooden boats and see if I can gain some more insight on what it takes

rhtmarine

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm restoring a 1960 CC sportsman right now... It's only 17' and a hand full. I'm a 30 year cabinet maker, so I'm good with it. That 32 footer is a huge undertaking for one man, but what the hay, go for it! There is a lot of history there. I wouldn't want to have to turn that thing over though. Mine is upsidedown now getting a new plank bottom. have fun and get after it!
Bob

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

You need Oops or the Yacht Dr. here, as they are the big boat guy...now not sure if the wood will get them any, but they have by far the most experience of anyone here on the big boats

Hopefully they will come in here.

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

I agree................scary big!

In the 60's/70's didn't a lot of people with wooden cruisers glass over the entire bottom? I wonder how much weight that would add.

paparoof

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wow.

I doubt I can add anything helpful, but I'd sure love to watch this kind of project. When I get up to the big lake, this is the kind of boat I find myself staring at the most. Absolutely gorgeous.

Please do it and document every moment here.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Here's some actual shots of the vessel:

285537_10150261583462908_776442907_7446111_5598737_n.jpg

rotting transom:

269103_10150261584167908_776442907_7446127_6730800_n.jpg

285524_10150261584482908_776442907_7446140_3738555_n.jpg

Some separation going on on the front deck

284453_10150261613517908_776442907_7446697_1729747_n.jpg

The deck by the corner of the window is soft. The white planking is some kind of vinyl covering. The cockpit also has this

267874_10150261614002908_776442907_7446707_2489626_n.jpg

Not obvious in pix but the interior panels seem to be wavy or warped, like how a wooden table gets if you leave a sweating glass of coke on it. I like the private V berth and a head...so much more room than a Capri's cuddy

271047_10150261614077908_776442907_7446709_1788082_n.jpg

Using my knuckles to tap it seems that most of the planking is good but the hull is sagging on this block which I'm assuming it not supposed to happen. I suspect there's a broken rib here

rhtmarine

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looks alittle rough...I'm restoring a 17 footer myself and I figure to spend 8500.00 to complete the task. I see dollar signs as well a few red flags with this hull. That bottom needs some major attention. If your gonna do it, make sure that you are ready to tackle that bottom first! It has to be seaworthy. everything topside is easy to make pretty. I'd like to see it done, just use good judgement and wouldn't hurt to have a couple close friends to help out!
Bob

p.s. the flying bridge is pretty cool!!

sabrevato

Cadet

I would say to do it. I have a 1972 sabrecraft V2600 that I have been working on for probably 6 years. Motor, outdrive, tanks, wires, varnish, paint, floors, swim step, and last off all broken frames. It has been a great project that I have enjoyed every step of the way. I would say the most expensive part of it was the broken frames though. good luck and hope to see pictures.

You have an almost carbon copy of my boat! 1 have a '61, 32 ft sea skiff- clipper with a fly bridge and twin 283 engines, email me at EDIT I have some good info for you. I would like to see what you have done wit her.
Thanks,
Rob

Use the PM SYSTEM instead

Last edited by a moderator:

F14,

I know I am stating the obvious BUT, that's is going to be a HUGE undertaking. Could get overwhelming real quick. Better see your psychiatrist first for a sanity check and meds and then a banker next for the money. If you do decide to move forward with this please start a thread because I'll be your number one fan. :D

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Do you have access to 10's of thousand of dollars, thousands of man hours, a huge shop, and you are wealthy and or single or both....

I would start with something MUCH smaller...

I watched my FIL restore 4 woodies and - he started with a 14' Penn Yan and ended with a 22 SeaBird.....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You have an almost carbon copy of my boat! 1 have a '61, 32 ft sea skiff- clipper with a fly bridge and twin 283 engines, email me at EDIT I have some good info for you. I would like to see what you have done wit her.
Thanks,
Rob

Use the PM SYSTEM instead

This post is over 1 year old. Please use the PM system to contact the original poster. The original poster has not said anything about that boat since July 16 2011.

When an old post is brought up from the archives then people start to respond and it trigger's a small mess and confuses people.

Please be cognizant of the date that the Original Poster [OP] last posted.

Thank you for your contribution to the iboats forum :)

ICEFANG

Cadet

I'm considering taking on a big project, a 1964 (or so) Chris Craft Sea Skiff 32'. Twin 327s, I think, and lapstrake plywood planking. It's a big cruiser like a Constellation but a Sea Skiff because of its lapstrake hull. It's located at the marina my Bayliner is at (on the hard) and I can get it for next to nothing.

I know this board mostly consists of restoring fiberglass boats but after doing the stringers and all in my Bayliner I'm not convinced that fiberglass is all that trouble free anyway...

I walked around the thing with a guy I know at the marina that's fixed up his own '26 or so lapstrake Owens and he showed me that it's pretty solid but will need a transom and the gunwhale board, I'm not sure if that has a better technical term, but the wood around the boat at the rubrail. I'm not that knowledgeable in wooden boats but it seems that lapstrake designs seem fairly easy to fix. The engines and transmissions are supposed to be good though I'll have to hear them run or at least do a compression test. The interior is a bit dirty but not in bad shape. The slips and storage rates at our marina aren't bad at all either.

Have any of you guys restored such a wooden boat? I understand that boat project budgets can go waaaaay over as I found out with my Capri. I don't anticipate having it seaworthy this season, or even next season, and it'll be a long term project. But I can afford the storage and shrink wrapping. The owner of the marina (in Grand Haven on the Grand River) is pretty cool and there's no problems with me working on it there. I know it'll be a lot of work to get the plumbing back in order (thank goodness I grew up working for a family plumbing business), and I know it'll need a lot of new wiring, a lot of paint, a lot of varnish, a lot of sanding...but I can work in the time and slowly fund the project. I know the twin V8s are gonna use a lot more fuel than my 3.0L Capri and filling a 150-200 gal tank isn't cheap (though it helps that our marina has the cheapest on water gas anywhere). Before too long my current financial obligations will be complete and I'll be able to pour more into the project. If I can turn the vessel around it'll be a sweet classic that I can keep for life and hopefully be able to make a Great Loop tour with.

I picked up a $500 Bayliner with holes in the deck and rotten stringers and was able to pull through and restore it...I think I have the drive to pull through on this.

What do you guys think? Anyone with personal experience with such a vessel?

I don't have pix of it yet but it pretty much looks like this

2475.jpg
I'm doin same have old #7' Chriscraft constilation.going in water on tuesday.not sure what year she is am findind out slowly.icefang45@hotmail.com,,,names Brian