I got a (new)question for you Starcraft guys, Officially a Project

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I got a (new)question for you Starcraft guys, Officially a Project

Well that doesn't sound like anything good, bummer.

Though maybe you could justify a ne Etech otta the deal?

Funny you say that while not new I have found myself Ebay dreaming for one.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Knock the dust off this thread cause here we go,

The Jet has been down at the family lake house in southern Iowa where it got plenty of use up until I changed jobs a year ago. Obviously everything got hectic and we didn't make it down there again until I went on vacation back in July. The new bigger (water ready)18SS went south to it's permanent home and with the Aerocraft gone the Jet came back home with me for use up here.

My first order of business was to correct this

Ok so maybe that's an after the fact recreation but you get the point. I didn't get any pics but I spent half a day to cut and prep the tongue and while I was at it cut off the old beat coupler for replacement. I can weld but for something of this magnitude that involved the lives of the general public I wanted to really trust it, so I called in my uncle who is a 35yr welder by trade. with it all prepped it took him about 45 minutes to get it all welded up and left me with this

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Oops clicked the post button prematurely where was I?

So the trailer got a swing tongue which makes it fit straight in the garage and will greatly reduce the time it takes get the boat out/in and will hopefully make it easier to work on. While I was trailer tinkering it also got new lights (LED :)), completedly rewired, and I swapped in two self centering rollers.

Another little project was to add a tell-tale to the motor which got accomplished today.

With reading about running on a hose and it pushing the water up I wondered if it would pee just from the hose pressure but it didn't so now I know I'll know that it's pumping no matter how I'm running it. It even worked with no leaks first try

It could be because the fitting I ended up with was an 1/8"NPT fitting which as I later read has a tapered thread/shank and thus I needed about 5/8" from the top surface for the tap to make a threaded hole that the fitting would fit in. This gave me fits since from the top of the block (through the drilled hole) to the cylinder is only about 1/4". To solve this I carefully started the tap and worked it until it contacted the cylinder then I ground the tap down some.:rolleyes: A few rounds of that and I had the hole tapped.

Now I think I'm done with little stuff and it's time to get a serious restoration going. I don't want to tear it completely apart just yet as there's still time for a few more outtings but I am planning on floors and paint (boat and trailer) to get done between this winter and next spring.

Some other ideas I toss around for it are a bow mounted trolling motor converted for transom use and repowering to a newer motor. The first may fall into the budget the second most likely won't but I can dream.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well TDF you beat me to it!!! Did you remove the Head?? It works Great!!! Hope mine does as well as yours!! Gunna try and do it this weekend. Had to get the house painted last weekend and never made it to the lake. I'm off this Friday so hope to get the boat work done on Friday and to the lake on Saturday. We'll see.

Last edited:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks JB and Wood,

I left the head on and other than the trouble with the tap length was an easy job. If you go into the top instead of the boss you might try a test tap in some aluminum to see if you'll run into the same tap length issue.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah well I have not doubt I will have the same problem since I DON'T have the Boss. Thanks for the Heads Up. I'll be doing the same thing you did probably.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
The plug you have may be different or perhaps I used the wrong style of tap either may save the tap grind hassle and could be worth looking at before you start the project.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Wonder why it calls for a 1/8 npt pipe tap for a 3/8" hole. Kinda confusing. I almost messed up and bout the wrong tap being and Old Dumb Okie. Glad I checked about Pipe taps!!!:facepalm:

Last edited:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
I could be wrong but I think the 1/8" comes from the ID of the fitting. Might double check your fitting and tap size as 1/8 npt calls for 11/32 (little bit of an oddball) starter hole. In AL and sometimes steel tapping if you don't have the recommended size drill bit (like me) you can go down a size (I used a 5/16). If you start w/ a 3/8 hole you may end up short on material to get good threads.

Might even be worth the time to do a test hole in some scrap material.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Oh No I realize I need to use a 11/32 bit and then the tap will make it actually a 3/8" hole but still don't understand the 1/8:noidea:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
I started thinking add two 1/8" pipe walls to the 1/8" inner diameter and you have a 3/8 hole but that doesn't hold true through pipe spectrum.

I guess for me it's just like the imperial system all together, they told me the gospel of it and I've just gotten so used to using it I don't even question it anymore..

Last edited:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Anyone wanna weigh in on how much of a gamble this would be for a repower?

CL linky dinky
[h=2]Envirude 0utboard 50 hp - $400[/h] OMC Mod # VE50TLETF Ser #03240346

Sell complete engine for $400 or parting out because broken piston. This June (2015) prior to brake down on the water in July the motor was completely tuned by Dave's Boats on 2nd Ave, DSM. Included in the tune up: carburetors were re built, new power packs, new plugs, new water pump and new stainless prop(11.75 X17). Lower unit and all parts guaranteed. Excellent appearance and no damage.

Cables and control box included.

The '72 is manual tilt and electric shift but I have it dead reliable. If I read the #s right that should be a '93 50hp w/ TT.

At worst powerhead listed on iboats for $1699.

64osby

Admiral
New prop and a parts motor until it is repaired. $250 at very most to me.

Once you tear it down you may find more than a bad piston.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks osby, I guess someone wanted it more than I did it apparently sold for asking price.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
I was waiting and hoping to get this girl out one more time but it's becoming evident that with the kids in school it's not going to happen, soooooo..........

I decided no better time to start than now, fogged the motor,

Pulled it - I was leery about how the rope would work but it never even groaned, slipped, or any kind of excitement.

And got it on the stand

I was a little disheartened when I saw the lower bolts

Four years and they are already corroding, when I put it back together I gooped the holes w/ 5200 but think I should have tried to force some in from the outside. I didn't spend a lot of time surveying the condition but the wood still looks light and dry from the inside so hopefully the 5200 sealed it well enough to keep the moisture out and it just got to the bolts. I'll be looking harder from the outside as I progress.

I then commenced to stripping all the bolt-ons. End of the day I've still got a bit more to get taken off, but a good days progress in my book.

Last edited:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Boring stuff but progress none the less.

Got rubrails and all the cockpit trim off. Then pulled the bow deck off. It's going back on but I want to rework the wood framing so it can be walked on by more than a child. Also made it easier to work on the floor and make for easier planning for a bow fuel tank.

Crappy pic sorry

Also got the floor and foam out and vacuumed up all the styro dingle berries, mouse nests and last 45yrs worth of gunk. No treasuses found. :lol:

Only a few things to strip off the outside of the transom and the lower side rub rails. Get those out of the way and its on to the prep for gluvit and interior paint.

Blank slate

Not seen in the pic but it does have the center Z brace and I plan on going back with a flat floor. From looking at some of the other SC (ok I looked at the pictures) restores any thoughts on possible weight savings gained by adding some cross bracing from the rib ends to the Z and going back with 1/2" ply VS. just using the 3/4"?

sprintst

Commander
It's good to see another cool old boat get another life. Keep plugging along as all the work is worth it in the end.

I'll still be watching the forums to find another sucker for punishment as I'd like to see someone restore that old Battlestar Galactaca looking cruiser.

Re: I got a (new) question for you Starcraft guys

So worse than a fiberglass itch I got the itch to be boating. Found a guy with a bunch of boats through CL. Talked and got pics from him of a few get me on the water quick projects. What do ya think of these?

68? 15' w/ running 70's 50hp Johnson. $500 needs a transom floors are usable.

photobucket-2374-1310610304402.jpg

photobucket-2993-1310610410953.jpg

18.5' I/O 4cylinder not running not locked up needs lower unit that he has. $650

photobucket-2752-1310610809482.jpg

photobucket-3320-1310610825208.jpg

I'd like the bigger boat but I'm leaning towords the 15' as it seems to be a quicker boat fix to get me by.

And just cause I thought it was cool an aluminum cruiser

photobucket-2998-1310611034332.jpg

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Oh I know it'll be worth it this has been such a good little boat that I can't wait to get her all polished up and looking good, and I know what you mean from time to time I wonder if he still has it.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Update - Outside is stripped and ready for paint stripping.

Question - 5200 at the SW seam took some wood with it so I need to fill this

Since I'm going to be ordering 635 epoxy in the near future is there something I can order along with it to make a filler? Any better options?