Anyone have experience with Awlgrip 545 primer?

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm considering using this primer on an aluminum hull then paint over it with rustoleum. Has anyone done this yet and if so how has it held up? I plan to use a product called Prekote on the bare cleaned skuffed aluminum before the 545.

Here is info on the Prekote. Its being used on aircraft.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/preKote.php

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Anyone have experience with Awlgrip 545 primer?

Bump...Hoping for some feed back.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Yup.. I use it all the time ( 545 ).

Real good 2 part epoxy primer .

Why go High End Pimer and then put Rusto on there ? ..

I dont know anything about this prekote stuff.. I do prep/Alumiprep/alodine/ ( sometimes ZC depending ) then 545 then topcoat.

Just me..

YD.

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

isn't prekote the one part primer from interlux? if it is, this really isn't what you want to use. read up on YD's post; it's tried and true... use 545 quite a bit; really like it. I would discourage using another topcoat other than awlcraft with this (there's got to be a law against it somewhere :p) Just thinking out loud... heh heh..

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for chiming in!

YD - Local boat yard paint manager asked me the same thing. Answer...Cost. I'm kind of in a pinch as to what I can get for primer around here and $100 for a good one is acceptable if its a good tie and if I save cost by putting Rusto on it (wich lots of folks here swear by).

BWT - Pre-Kote is the Interlux primer. Prekote by Pantheon Chemicals is a different animal competing with Alodine. Lots of info on Google. No one who deals with a particular paint system will indorse a intermix of 2 diffent lines and I understand why. Reps will only talk about their products because they either don't know about others or want to avoid laibility. Paint shops will only talk about tried and true methods and can't afford the liability of mixing multiple systems. Either way its like getting a politition to give a straight answer. I've spoken with some very well educated people all around about this and the only good suggestion so far was from Rustoleum..Test it.

The short question is..Is an alkyd enamel a compatible top coat over a 2 part epoxy primer? The flavor I'm getting is that the beauty of an epoxy primer is that it is compatable with most top coats. I'm about ready to use the Pettit Aluma-Protect and cover it with Interlux bright sides (like the colors but not the primer).

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I've spoken with some very well educated people all around about this and the only good suggestion so far was from Rustoleum..Test it.

Yes you have .. right here.. on this thread ...and the ONLY Good suggestions are the ones that dont meet your answers .. .. Rusto over 545 is Insane if you ask me.

No .. Im NOT going to Test it .. I 545 / Prep / then Paint.

You want your week spending time on prep/paint/prep/paint/prep/paint etc .. .. Thats your choice ..

Dont bother with 545 primer if your going Rusto .. Too expensive and no brush is going to lay that water thin epoxy primer on..

You Spray or your NOT spray .. 545 is Spray .. topcoat is Spray I would think if your using 545 ..

Use whatever Alum prep coat you want other then what was already recommended..let us know how it turns out ..

YD.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for your straight forward advice. This a difficult topic for me as there is too much info for a novice to wade through in a short amount of time then cost / availability concerns. With that, I'm now looking into the Interlux or Pettit systems. Perhaps the resto route if I can get my hands on the right primer. I'll post updates on the resto thread.

Thanks again.
MP