1985 Peterborough Ski Sport Tri Hull Rebuild

tallcanadian

Captain
Well, it's official... I am insane. And I am back with a new to me boat. It's a 1985 Peterborough tri hull. And it needs help, along with me. It's worn out, rotten, beat up, but I love it. It has a 50hp Johnson outboard, not sure of the year yet, that I will be discarding. It's a short shaft motor on a long shaft boat. So you know what the previous owner did, right. Yes, he cut the transom to dog doo doo. What a mess. The pics will make you laugh. I bought it site unseen for 700 bucks, boat, motor and trailer. The trailer is decent, I just repacked the so so bearings to get me through my 4 hour drive. I was expecting the worse from this package, and I was not disappointed.

4983gd6_20.jpg

While I am here I wanted to thank those who inquired about my whereabouts for the last few months. Let's just say that my marital status changed and my boat had to be sold as part of the properties. I moved to a new province and got a new job. I'm doing what i did before, alarm and video tech but my salary has almost doubled. I was only out of work for 4 days. I wish I made the change years ago. I had to step back and catch my breath and start again. All is good and I am back, and life is great.

Anyway, here are a few pics of what I have to work with.

Yes, that is a rubbermaid dish pan tarred in for the new splash area.
100_3729.jpg

This is the cut down transom. Hard to see here.
100_3771.jpg

Ever see fiberglass bend? I'm scared to see what's underneath this.
100_3777.jpg

tallcanadian

Captain
Re: 1985 Peterborough Ski Sport Tri Hull Rebuild

A few more pics.

100_3775.jpg

100_3784.jpg

100_3778.jpg

100_3780.jpg

Notice the odd offset drain hole. Weird.
100_3768.jpg

100_3731.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Good to hear from you TC, looks like you have a project there! Looking forward to seeing your progress! I need my head examined.....I'm actually looking around for another boat.....Keep us posted!

tallcanadian

Captain

Thanks Arch. I have no timline for this boat. It won't be done this year but I do want to dismantle, replace the stringers, transom and deck this summer. Then I can plan colours, interior, etc. And I think sometimes we all need our heads examined...lol.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I had mine examined but they couldn't find a thing...literally.:D

That's certainly a project for sure...I love the rubbermaid tub, it's a classic...lol.

When you rework her are you going to repair the transom back to the original height?

God luck with her and let us know where we can help.

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice to hear from ya TC! Glad to have you back!

tallcanadian

Captain

I had mine examined but they couldn't find a thing...literally.:D

That's certainly a project for sure...I love the rubbermaid tub, it's a classic...lol.

When you rework her are you going to repair the transom back to the original height?

God luck with her and let us know where we can help.

Yes cadwelder, I'm going back to the original 20" transom. It will be easier to find a long shaft outboard. Not sure yet, what to put on. Something around 50 or 60hp. It's rated for 60. See what happens. I will keep a look out for something in good condition.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's a roomy hull. Will be nice when fixed up. I like the somewhat pointed bow. It won't look as dated as some other tri-hulls. That's a '73 Johnson.

goboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The road to recovery is to admit you have a problem. The fix is then to go out and get a diamond in the rough to take it all out on. A really,really, rough one...like that one! Now don't you feel better already! The boat is not as bad as some of the other projects I see hauled back home.

tallcanadian

Captain

That's a roomy hull. Will be nice when fixed up. I like the somewhat pointed bow. It won't look as dated as some other tri-hulls. That's a '73 Johnson.

Yeah EZ, it is a 73. Apparently it's a salt water model. Not sure, but I'll be ditching it anyway. This boat is actually a tad smaller than my last one, but i hope to have some fun in building it back to normal.

tallcanadian

Captain

The road to recovery is to admit you have a problem. The fix is then to go out and get a diamond in the rough to take it all out on. A really,really, rough one...like that one! Now don't you feel better already! The boat is not as bad as some of the other projects I see hauled back home.

Hey GB, this is a rough one for sure. I just can't see it thrown away. lol. Not sure of all my plans but just going to worry about the stock appearance for now.

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi there , glad you are doing well. I lived in NS for several years in the Valley, loved the weather...it`s much better than here on the Rock! You`re missing a big weekend .....KISS is here for the Salmon Festival.....Grand Falls is blocked and people are even renting out their yards for the campers . Good luck on your new project. I`m having great fun with my old Valiant...and the merc runs like a top.....gets better milage than my 30 suzuki ever did .

All the best.....Bill