1990 wellcraft eclipse stringers,deck, fiberglass

Cbro_099

Cadet
i just got a 1990 wellcraft eclipse in not horrible shape but pretty rough so i am going to be restoring it.. i have most of the deck tore out now and also the stringers... when i get it all ready to put it back together do i need to buy marine grade wood or just non treated wood and put some sort of sealer on it? and also what kind of fiberglass to use over the deck because i am wantin to paint the deck when all finished instead of carpet any help on what to use for that would be awesome to! and then one last question as of now...on the panels on the inside of the boat i was wanting to do some sort of fiberglass speaker enclosures?? anybody have information on what to use and how and or some pics?? thanks alot guys any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

Marada92

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1990 wellcraft eclipse stringers,deck, fiberglass

Welcome to iboats! You've found the right place to ask questions. As far as the marine grade vs exterior grade ply goes you can find many debates on the subject if you search on here with most people saying exterior grade will work just fine as long as it's sealed properly. You stringers will be sealed with resin and fiberglass. Go to YouTube and do a search for friscojarretts.. He is restoring a searay and has video documented the entire project. I'm knee deep in a project myself and learning as I go and his videos have taught me a ton. There are plenty of guys and threads on the resto forum that will answer everything you need to know! And don't forget the pictures! We always love something colorful to look at. Good luck with your project!

Almost forgot about the speaker enclosures.. I've looked into that also over the years. Easiest thing I've found is to build your basic shape out of wood then stretch fleece tightly over it and staple it.. This gives you your shape. Coat that in resin and let harden then start laying layers of chop strand mat(csm) and resin until you get your thickness then sand. Vague explanation but if you do a search through the internet you'll find tons of info!

Marada92

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1990 wellcraft eclipse stringers,deck, fiberglass

And check you transom! Depending on how bad you deck and stringers were... If they are rotten then there's a pretty good chance the transom has some rot also. You did take measurements before tearing everything out right?