How Good Are Ranger Bass Boats Constructed 1995 UP

jayboy76

Cadet
Just wondering about the Ranger Bass boats constructed from 1995 up. Are the stringers wood and suseptable to the rot we see on almost all brand boats in this forum? I did a search but didn't find any being restored. Thinking about looking for a reanger soon. Not too interested in a tin boat due to the rep of riding rough although do like the Lowe 175 Fishing Machine.

Thanks for you inputs.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How Good Are Ranger Bass Boats Constructed 1995 UP

Rangers are as good a bass boat as there is out there. I know for a fact they started using composites in the late 80's but can't say for sure what part of the boat. I know that from around 2001 and up they are mostly all compostie materials.

But let me add this....even Ranger themselves said in an interview once that wood is still the best material for building boats....Ranger (as well as other Bass Boats) have changed to composites simply because of public demand. Everyone wants a boat they don't have to take care of I guess.

jayboy73

Seaman Apprentice

I found some interesting videos of Ranger's site, http://www.rangerboats.com/rbtv/index.cfm?rid=6. I think I found indication that the non wood approach has been going on for some time. I did have a 1975 Ranger 175 with a 859 Mercury on it. I have no complaints with the ride and durabiility of the hull. I wish I had kept it and just re-engined it and upgraded electronics. Oh well! The composite process was very interesting. I think I will look for a good buy in the 1995 to 2000 area. I do plan on going to talk to some fiberglass and boat dealers just to continue to educate myself.

Thanks Cad for your input on my project boat (1995 Astro 2100CC Rotted) and this question. I have decided to not do the Astro restoration for several reasons. I had elaborated on the rotted thread but someway I missed getting it posted. Will try later tonight.

Thanks again Jay S

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Great boats however, even great boats can be trashed by stupid careless owner's !!!

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Great boats however, even great boats can be trashed by stupid careless owner's !!!

Oh so so so true, some people could trash a tank.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

If you're interested in an older boat, you'd be best served by purchasing the best of brands. Ranger was one of those superior boats in 1995 and still is in 2011. They'll never be an Allison in speed, but they'll get you where you want in comfort.

Note: With the world of boat company mergers, Ranger and Triton (their biggest competitor) are being made side by side in Flippen, AR. It's kind of ironic that they'd join resources.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

The year does not matter ALL wood is going to rot, if you don't take care of it, and that includes the Million Dollar and up yachts...