1984 Chris Craft Scorpion 186 Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, first thread on this awesome forum. I have used them as a resource for a few years now, and hopefully now I can contribute some information by documenting my attempt at a restoration.

I have had my Chris Craft for a few years now. When I first picked it up, the interior was trashed but it seemed mechanically solid. A couple weekends of work and I had recovered the panels and laid down some new carpet. I picked up a wake pylon and used it every weekend at the lake.

After that first summer, the boat sat for a year because I wasn't living near a lake so I only used it once or twice a year.

I knew that the floor/transom would need to be redone at some point but didn't realize that the rot was as bad as it is. When I first replace the carpet, I found a couple soft spots but was more concerned with getting on the water at that point.

Fast forward to today. I was recently re-inspired to start working on the boat when I picked up a brand new teak swim deck for $50 at a yard sale last weekend. I spent Sunday gutting the boat and am now ready to get to work.

Plans are:

*Replace deck, stringers, foam
*Repower with a 350 (305 currently)
*Redo the interior configuration to include a sun deck/bench seat
*Paint

I am fairly new to boats, so advice is appreciated and please feel free to point out mistakes.

To get this thread started, here are some before pictures after I first did the carpet.

IMG_9302.jpg

IMG_9301.jpg

IMG_9304.jpg

IMG_9305.jpg

892_0394.jpg

892_0391.jpg

Re: 1984 Chris Craft Scorpion 186 Restoration

Picture of the new swim deck. I only have the swim step on one side right now and am really looking forward to seeing this on the back.

503251151_photobucket_64992_.jpg

Bulkhead in front of the gas tank. I was exploring with a hammer last night after I ripped out the carpet.

503251151_photobucket_64994_.jpg

Deck

503251151_photobucket_64993_.jpg

503251151_photobucket_64995_.jpg

If I get some time today i am going to start cutting the deck away from the hull and hopefully get it all pulled up.

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice boat! I know how you feel as I am in the same "boat" as you. Need to redo the floor, but would rather enjoy the boat.
Good luck on the resto!

Got some more work done.

All wiring and controls are disconnected from the motor. I am hoping to pull it this weekend.

Few pictures of the tear down;

DSC01868.jpg

DSC01867.jpg

DSC01869.jpg

DSC01873.jpg

DSC01874.jpg

DSC01877.jpg

DSC01878.jpg

Deck came out a lot easier then I thought. Used a cutoff wheel on a angle grinder. Most of the foam is dry, but near the transom it was wet.

I think I need to get the motor out before I rip into it anymore. I don't have a engine hoist, but I have a unfinished car port :D It was here when i bought the house and I was told I couldn't roof it because it didn't meet code. I am going to use it as a gantry. Plan is to back the boat up so the motor is under the beam, lift it out with a couple come-alongs, pull the trailer forward and lower the motor onto a pallet.

DSC01880.jpg

Any tips on pulling the motor?

Nice boat! I know how you feel as I am in the same "boat" as you. Need to redo the floor, but would rather enjoy the boat.
Good luck on the resto!

Thanks!

When I look back, I had the time then to go to the lake all the time so I am glad I enjoyed it as much as I could. Being at the lake this 4th really lit the fire to get this done. I see no reason I can't be back in the water with it next season.

Where I stopped for the day:

DSC01881.jpg

DSC01882.jpg

DSC01883.jpg

DSC01884.jpg

DSC01885.jpg

DSC01886.jpg

There was way more moister on the starboard side near the back. The deck basically crumbled as I pulled it apart. The deck is more solid as I move towards the front and I tore a few chunks of foam out and they were dry also.

If I have time tomorrow I am going to get the rest of the deck and ski locker cut out so I can see all the stringers. Once I pull the foam, I am going to make templates of the old stringers while they are in place.

Anthenium

Cadet

WOW! I just went to a buddies house who lives on a lake, and he picked up an '89 Scorpion 186. He's looking to sell it pretty cheap. After reading your story I'm considering picking it up, and enjoying it while I fix her up! She has some rotten wood along the top of the boat, but the floors are solid, and the engine runs strong. It's show 605 hours on the clock. The interior is in Less -Than- Fair condition, but still usable. It has a big wooden platform at the rear of the bot that is quite solid. The hull could use a good rub-out, but is in Great Condition. Perhaps I'll start my own Thread on the progress of my new Money Pit!

Had to search for my thread and reset my iboats PW lol, been awhile.

This project isn't dead, got side tracked with a few of my other projects but am now starting back up on the boat. I will get some more recent pictures. A majority of the foam is out.

Currently deciding on what route I would like to go with to replace the stringers. They are rotten but the glass is very solid. Anybody have experience with a poor in composite to replace rotten stringers? Obviously wood would be removed and the old glass prepped before pouring. Just wondering if in the long run it's a better route to go? The transome will be replaced with wood.

Flysfloatsor

Banned

Check out pick of my 85 cc Scorpion on my profile!
Ill be following your restoration.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Glad you back... Keep posting... The boat looks good.... Your stringers don't look so bad... Were they all rotten?

Getting the engine out is not bad at all if you haven't got that far... You can use a gantry, cherry picker, chain lift, or (as I did) a tractor...

Check in on the Chris Craft owners/projects thread (link is in my sig...).

Have a good one..

~rpm

Glad you back... Keep posting... The boat looks good.... Your stringers don't look so bad... Were they all rotten?

Getting the engine out is not bad at all if you haven't got that far... You can use a gantry, cherry picker, chain lift, or (as I did) a tractor...

Check in on the Chris Craft owners/projects thread (link is in my sig...).

Have a good one..

~rpm

The stringers are rotten. Sound hollow when I tap them and I punched a hole in the side of one and can dig out wood pulp.

The glass looks good still which is why I am considering pouring new ones instead of grinding everything out and starting over.

Check out pick of my 85 cc Scorpion on my profile!
Ill be following your restoration.

I have gone through it, clean boat. I should have some updates soon, once the rain is gone for good I will be uncovering it so it is easier to work on.

Flysfloatsor

Banned

I would totally ditch the 305 that came with the boat and get a healthy 350 or 383. Youll be pleased with the performance. Throwing more than 350-400hp is kind of a waste of time and money with this hull (even though its a good design, and comfortable ride IMO)- Some would argue even that much isnt worth it.

I would totally ditch the 305 that came with the boat and get a healthy 350 or 383. Youll be pleased with the performance. Throwing more than 350-400hp is kind of a waste of time and money with this hull (even though its a good design, and comfortable ride IMO)- Some would argue even that much isnt worth it.

I really like the hull design and you are correct about how nice it rides. It handles the chop well which is nice for lakes like Tahoe.

Down the line a motor swap is in the plans. The 305 is a runner so my focus is getting the boat solid and I can always start building a motor on the side while enjoying the boat. I also have no concern about putting to much into the boat lol, it has more sentimental value being it was the last project my father and I had before he unexpectedly passed away.

From my research, I thought the outdrive was only good for around 300hp? Any issues with yours or did you change the outdrive when you swapped the 383?

Flysfloatsor

Banned

The Alpha is good. 300hp is the commonly known limit, but there are a bunch of guys out there sending much higher hp through them (400-500). Just follow some Alpha babying basics like, dont full throttle take offs, and dont let the boat get airborn, and youll be ok... Otherwise - Sterndrive engineering make a nice replacement for $1300.

Just follow some Alpha babying basics like, dont full throttle take offs, and dont let the boat get airborn

I feel like that is taking the fun out of it :D

I have been working on the side yard the boat is in preparing for the project. Should be in the 80's this weekend so I will have an update by then. Goal is to get the rest of the deck/foam out. All that is left is from the front of the gas tank forward. I think that most difficult area will be the part under the bow seating due to accessibility.

Went and snapped some current pictures. The foam is a pain to pull out and takes up lots of room in the trash. Don't mind the blue hue, I made a tent over it with some tarps to keep it dry this winter.

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

Punched a hole in one of the stringers, no doubt that they are all like this.

IMG_0530.jpg

Looking inside the ski locker towards the back. You can see the gas tank through the hole I punched in the rot.

IMG_0532.jpg

I was very surprised that staples were used to attach the deck to the stringers.

IMG_0531.jpg

Pulled the outdrive,I have a pallet to store it on with the motor just need to grab some 2'x4's and build the stand.

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

I have seen complete rebuild kits from west marine but I am wondering if it would be cheaper to piece it together? Any recommendations on a parts source?

Plan is to pull the motor this weekend, going to use the frame of what was a carport. The issue is the joist is couple feet behind the motor. I think with some chain and a couple come-a-longs I can lift it it with one, pull it forward using the 2nd attached to the opposite side at the same time, and then once it is high enough swing it back over the boat then lower it onto the pallet. Worst case I can move the boat but it would be a pain to get the tow rig to it.

IMG_0542.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.