Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Gluvet

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwagoner

Recruit
Alright heres my question after doing some researching here and online, whats your method of liking for small leaks in seams or rivets? i think i have both areas with small leaks now. about 1-2 gallons of water in a day comes in so have to get it taken care of asap. I know where i find the rivets to be leaking to get by buddy who went in 1/2 on the boat with me and hammer em down to tighten up then seal after that.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...cat104227380&destination=/checkout/basket.jsp

seems to be well liked by reviews????

THANKS for all help and advice !!!

Dabbler_E

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Aluminum leak repair - POLL

Gluvit is designed to adhere to aluminum and to creep into crevices before curing to full expoy strength. 5200 does a good job of staying where you put it and curing tough, but doesn't creep into the leak. It's best for sealing when you are adding fasteners, not when you are trying to seal fasteners that are already in. As for the boat patch sticks, I haven't used them and the price is right, but I don't imagine they have the creep ability of Gluvit.

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Aluminum leak repair - POLL

I had a few rivets that were leaking (about 20) and needed to be taken care of. What I did was drill out the rivets that were leaking and replaced them, when I replaced them I put a little 5200 around them as they were going in. I then refilled my boat with water to check for leaks, found that the seams on both sides were seeping just a little in 2 places. I then went in and put gluvit down on all seams and rivets, I did not replace one rivet on purpose. Checked again after the gluvit and had no leaks, even the one that was not replaced that did leak before. I am in agreement with Dabbler_E on that gluvit will seep into rivets and seams and the 5200 on fasteners or other things that you are installing, not for things already installed. As for the boat patch sticks, I do not have any experience with them. But reading about them I do think that it may seep into seams since you are heating it up, still not sure though.

mhdahl

Recruit
I know this is an old post, but does anyone know of a similar product to the Cabela's Aluminum Boat Patch? I used it in the past with great success, but it has been discontinued.

Status
Not open for further replies.