1977 Sea Ray SRV 240 Sundancer Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgarner

Seaman
I'm about to bite the bullet and purchase a 1977 SeaRay SRV 240 Cabin Cruiser. Getting it very cheap. Needs an engine rebuild, and just some TLC on everything else. Hull on this is thing is super thick and very strong, I see no issues with transom, deck or hull. Just needs a shinning and cleaning. Out-drive is supposed to be in working shape but still going to pull and give it a once over. What are your guys take on this type of boat? I don't have pictures yet.

dgarner

Seaman
Re: 1977 SeaRay SRV 240 Restoration

I purchased the boat today and hauled it over to the house. It has a volvo penta outdrive, and engine. It will crank over but won't start, it's been setting for about a year so gas is pretty much useless. Going to pull motor and outdrive and give it a very good cleaning and shinning. Everything seems very solid on this old boat. So far couldn't find any rot at all. But will start digging deeper and see what might show up.

IMAG0017.jpgIMAG0011.jpgIMAG0019.jpgIMAG0022.jpg

Last edited:

dgarner

Seaman
Re: 1977 SeaRay SRV 240 Resto

Re: 1977 SeaRay SRV 240 Resto

Today going to pull out all the trash and give it a good cleaning and determine what is going to need repair and/or restored. Can teak wood be stained and a coat of poly or just some teak oil?

dgarner

Seaman
Re: 1977 Sea Ray SRV 240 Restoration

Re: 1977 Sea Ray SRV 240 Restoration

Only found one spot that had wood rot, next to the engine where you can stand to work on the engine. Looks like someone was very heavy and broke the wood and this allowed water to soak in the wood and the foam under it. Looks like the factory made a box and put foam in it doesn't seem to have any structural purpose. The deck is raised of the back engine area like 1 and 1/2 foot. So water doesn't really have a chance to soak into it.

I pulled the exhaust manifolds off to prep for complete engine removal and to inspect the exhaust manifolds for corrosion. These things look brand new inside no way they can over 30 years old, no scale rust or anything. Outdrive is going to need some work. Needs all the rubber boots and some bearings all around just seems very loose the pivot joints. That's all for now.

IMAG0117.jpgIMAG0014.jpgIMAG0010.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Cool boat. Was that one pic of an aft cabin? Good luck with it.

dgarner

Seaman

Cool boat. Was that one pic of an aft cabin? Good luck with it.

Yeah it has an area just under where the captain operates the boat.

dgarner

Seaman

I've been doing a lot to the boat lately. I'm currently in the process of removing all the foam and the wood surrounding the foam. Luckly the boats decking is raised up off the bottom so it doesn't see much water. I won't be replacing the foam in the boat, not required by law and the foam they had in there I don't think would have kept this big boat above water. I'm going to pull all the foam and wood and just do some bracing for the huge gas tank and build-up the bilge for better drainage. Also the transom has rot just one side has rot but will be replacing the whole transom.

krazy8z

Recruit

Sweet, we have the same boat sitting in our driveway...needs a bit of restoration and it's really inspiring to see that someone else is working on the same project! ;)

Here's some pics of ours...
2010 07 14_0828 (Medium).JPG2010 07 14_0832 (Medium).JPG2010 07 14_0837 (Medium).JPG2010 07 14_0827 (Medium).JPGView attachment 101487

Attachments

• 2010 07 14_0829 (Medium).JPG
    2010 07 14_0829 (Medium).JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 3

krazy8z

Recruit

More pics...

2010 07 14_0830 (Medium).JPG2010 07 14_0834 (Medium).JPG

Current project....march11 058 (Medium).jpg

gordon clemens

Recruit
Re: 1977 Sea Ray SRV 240 Sundancer Restoration

I'm about to bite the bullet and purchase a 1977 SeaRay SRV 240 Cabin Cruiser. Getting it very cheap. Needs an engine rebuild, and just some TLC on everything else. Hull on this is thing is super thick and very strong, I see no issues with transom, deck or hull. Just needs a shinning and cleaning. Out-drive is supposed to be in working shape but still going to pull and give it a once over. What are your guys take on this type of boat? I don't have pictures yet.

I have one also, so can say you made a good choice. Mine has two merc. engines 140 hp. 4 cyl. I haven't heard on another one having this combination ??. NOT sure if this was a special order ?. Enjoy yours.
Gordon

goboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My hats off to you dgarner and good luck!!! So far things look pretty good. How about under the V-berths, under the flooring? What has that foward hatch been letting in? You might wonder how bad can it get? Look for "Here I go again 1995 SeaRay" by Friscoboater. He thought he was getting the next best thing...it wasn't. He is currently making it the next best thing!!! With the videos he does he pretty much ownes YouTube. If you have ANY questions about how to redo stringers, floors, transomes and drives...he's the Man!!!!!!

goboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another good link is" 77Luhrs 28ft diesel repower-just beginning" by Luhrs28. What he ended up with is sweet!!!!! Go to the Volvo/Penta section and they can help you with answers. Teak is great for boats because all you have to do is sand it back down and varnish(?) it and it looks great for another 10 years.

g1sammons

Seaman Apprentice

dont know of your interested but i have the same boat with a top
my top is not perfect but its a great pattern it follows the sides down and closes off the back to seal off the bridge
im only going to use it for a pattern im having another made
when im done your welcome to it if yall would like

dgarner

Seaman

dont know of your interested but i have the same boat with a top
my top is not perfect but its a great pattern it follows the sides down and closes off the back to seal off the bridge
im only going to use it for a pattern im having another made
when im done your welcome to it if yall would like

Yes I would be interested in that, don't need it at this moment but once I get to the final resto stage it would be nice to have.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great looking project. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

g1sammons

Seaman Apprentice

Yuk found bouncy of rotten wood in transom
Does the boat have to be split to repair ??.
Is it even worth fixing?
Looking for input
I'm sure it's got more that I haven't found
But the transom runners on the out side edge of engine compartment
And floor in cabin also
Wondering if if the upper shel will need to be separated to repair

dgarner

Seaman

Normally if you got rot in one place there is probably rot all over. I didn't split the top from the bottom and I didn't remove the deck to repair the transom on mine.

Yuk found bouncy of rotten wood in transom
Does the boat have to be split to repair ??.
Is it even worth fixing?
Looking for input
I'm sure it's got more that I haven't found
But the transom runners on the out side edge of engine compartment
And floor in cabin also
Wondering if if the upper shel will need to be separated to repair

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: 1977 Sea Ray SRV 240 Sundancer Restoration FOR SALE

Cool boat. Make sure you check that transom good. My 95 Sea Ray was rotten to the core.

g1sammons

Seaman Apprentice

Gave up on the sea ray transom stringer ect need reworked
Motor is lock up
Just picked up a 2566 Santa Cruz carver
Looks good so far larger cabin
Transom and stringers are solid found one cover with sone rot

Status
Not open for further replies.