What kind of paint for Jon Boat!

MaDDMike740

Recruit
I was given a 10 ft Jon boat it in decent shape. I want to seal all rivets and suspicious areas that may be prone to leaking. I want to sand it all down and seal it then primer it and paint it OD. I want to spray the inside bottom with the spray on bedliner to reduce noise and add traction.

My question is? What should I put on the rivets to seal them? Suggestions? What is the proper primer to use on aluminum so it doesn't peal off and what is is a good paint for the top coat?

Keep in mind this jon boat is probably old as me it just needs a little love so I'm trying to do it on the cheap cuz I dont want to drop $100 dollars on this old boat maybe $50-60?

Thank You for any help,

Mike

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: What kind of paint for Jon Boat!

Gluvit to seal the rivets, BEFORE you sprayon the liner.
Rustoleum Professional Oil Based Paint thinned with acetone and add Valspar Acrylic Enamel Hardener. YOu can Roll it on with an Ulra fine Foam Roller and it will look like you sprayed it on. You MUST use Rustoleum's Self Etching Primer on an Aluminum boat. You should easily be able to paint a 10' boat with a qt of paint the Hardener is $15 bucks the Gluvit is 45bucks so yeah you should get it done for under a $100 bucks