100% acrylic latex paints

mmaggard

Recruit
im new to this site and i hear ppl talking about using 100% acrylic latex paints to paint their entire boat can you do this or not a good idea i dont leave my boat in the water or anything like that

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 100% acrylic latex paints

Welcome to iBoats!

Yep, I recommend Rustoleum Professional Oil Based, with Valspar Hardener. My recipe is 1 qt Paint, 1 1/4 cup Acetone, 2oz of Hardener. HINT: Using the Gloss white as a Base you can use Artist Acrylic Oil Paint to Tint the paint to ANY color you want. Thin it with the Acetone and then mix it with the white to get the tint you want. I use a Harbor Freight HVLP Spray Gun with a 1.8mm tip to spray the Paint but you can use the Roll n' Roll method to apply it too!

mmaggard

Recruit

have you ever heard anyone using the valspar exterior latex paint its for fiberglass and vinal siding stuff like that.. if not where do you get the valspar hardner never used it before

mmaggard

Recruit

ok thanks alot where do you get your paint from

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

All Lowe's and Home Depot's Carry Rustoleum Professional Oil Based Paint. So does Ace Hardware. Tractor Supply Carries Valspar Oil Based Acrylic Enamel Paint That they use for Restoring Antique Tractors. It is Really Good stuff as well.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

im new to this site and i hear ppl talking about using 100% acrylic latex paints to paint their entire boat can you do this or not a good idea i dont leave my boat in the water or anything like that

What boat do you want to paint ? .. I dont know many members using latex to paint there boats :) .

Got pics ?

Yd.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Latex paint has No place on a boat...

rdevoto

Cadet

Ayuh,... Latex paint has No place on a boat...

Read this article. I have a fiberglass boat painted for 3 years now and holds great !!! The hull is impecable.

If you want to stick to oil based, up to you. It's your money.
Good sanding, good priming and a 100% acrylic Latex paint will do the job and will hold for many years. I have tried it with a pop-up trailer also and very happy with the results. I'm a happy camper since 2001.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer

Ive had very good luck w/ Rustoleum Oil Based

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Read this article. I have a fiberglass boat painted for 3 years now and holds great !!! The hull is impecable.

If you want to stick to oil based, up to you. It's your money.
Good sanding, good priming and a 100% acrylic Latex paint will do the job and will hold for many years. I have tried it with a pop-up trailer also and very happy with the results. I'm a happy camper since 2001.

Ive had very good luck w/ Rustoleum Oil Based

Gentlemen,

This thread is almost 3 years old. We ask (by the positioning of a HUGE RED banner along the bottom of the screen when accessing threads more than 90 days old), not to post to them unless you are the OP with an update. We have very active forums here and re-activating old threads adds considerable confusion to them.

Should you have a question, please post a NEW thread. If you need to reference and old thread, do just that, put a link to it in the opening post... Please read the forum rules, specifically rule #12.

iboats mod team.