When did fiberglass boat hulls become rot proof on 17-19ft bowriders ?

richLOW

Recruit
I am trying to deal with a problem on my 1994 Glastron SSV170. The transom and floor is rotted and estimate to repair is ~$7K. So, I am looking to replace with a newer fiberglass bowrider like a Glastron or Larson in the 17-18ft range that accepts an outboard motor (somewhat rare now). I understand some manufacturers went to a hull design which has no parts to rot at a certain year. Apparently, Glastron sometime around model year 2000. Is there any truth to this ? If I find the right boat in newer model years, will I no longer have these problems ? Can you recomend specific models and years ?
If I knew this ,I would be more confident buying a boat online and dealing with minor problems but major rot would be a huge isue again.

Thanks for help.
Rich

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: When did fiberglass boat hulls become rot proof on 17-19ft bowriders ?

I understand some manufacturers went to a hull design which has no parts to rot at a certain year.

As long as the layup is sound, fiberglass should last, barring damage. Floor and transom rot is usually caused by improper storage/operation. Example, one owner covers the hull during the off season. Another owner leaves the hull exposed to the elements with the hull plug in. Hull fills with water, floor and transom are exposed to water, wood failure.
I will go as far to say, even if you take a 2012 hull, if there is any wood in the structure, and it is exposed to water for a long enough period of time, you will have wood rot.

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My Glastron is a 2003 and has a "lifetime warranty". Is that what you are thinking of?

Has a big VEC badge on the back, which I think is their process for building this lifetime warranty boat.

But as said above, there is still some wood in the framing.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

My Glastron is a 2003 and has a "lifetime warranty". Is that what you are thinking of?

Has a big VEC badge on the back, which I think is their process for building this lifetime warranty boat.

I think that VEC is "Vinylester constructed". That just means they used VE resin instead of poly.

Slapping a lifetime warranty on the hull is a marketing thing..I will bet there are quid-pro-quos in there like " against normal use and operation of the boat ".

IF you really want a rot proof boat..go with a tinny :) . ( EZ is reading my post with a big smile right about now lol ).

YD.

scooper77515

Cool! Thanks for the info. I did not know what the VEC stood for.

emoney

Commander

Fiberglass doesn't rot, it's the wood that rots. There's a thread on here, for instance, of someone "restoring" a boat built in the 2000's because of rotted stringers/floor/transom. It's all about the previous owners, that can't be said enough. I've got a 1980 boat that was kept under cover in a garage and the floor is solid as a rock. I have a friend that has a 2002 that was kept in the water, no cover. Guess who has the nicer boat?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Cool! Thanks for the info. I did not know what the VEC stood for.

Nope !! my bad ! .. VEC is " vertual engineered composites "

Kinda interesting construction I must say :) .

YD.

scooper77515

Google is my friend!

Everything is completely integrated on the hull, including the stringer system; there are no wooden stringers to rot, no joints or seams to separate. With our Glastron boats wne?re able to achieve the same level of structural integrity with our unitized deck, which is also fabricated as a single fiberglass component. Beyond the aesthetics of the clean, seamless look, the unitized deck delivers a more stable and quieter ride.

VEC technology and unitized construction are standard on all Glastron 17, 18, 19, 20 and 22-foot bowriders and Ski & Fish models.

from http://m.boatbuys.com/view_brand.php?t=1&brid=11