Good Old 80's Cajun Espire.. Deck Repair

joshvette001

Cadet
Hey Guy's... Long time lurker first time to sign up and post. I admire some of the great work alot of you have done on your boats and some of the restorations you guy's have done they are amazing. I am 19 and I inherited this boat from my grandpa when he passed away... I have alot of memories on it with him and he loved the boat... That being said I wanted to get some more experienced advice before I go ripping the deck apart. If you take a look at the attached pictures the first one is the hole that is in the corner of the deck... this prompted me to pull off the bench of chairs to take a look under it... IT appears that water is pooled there with dirt. You can see that in the pictures also... My first question is obviously the whole deck should be replaced... When your replacing a deck do you fiberglass over it? What I a seeing is a thin layer of glass that is soaking wet and just pealing off the wood... I a betting there is water pooled underneath here and I want to make sure that I do this properlly.. I am not looking for the cheap way out... I want some advice, first off what is the best way to tear this out? Does this deck go under the whole top portion of the fiberglass in this 87 Espire Cajun? Or does it go flush with it? It appears it goes a tiny bit under it from when I was digging and pushing... Its obvious it has the blown in foam type insulation that will need to be replaced with either pour in foam or the same equivalent... I just want to see where you guy's would start with this boat and what you would do first? Obviously tear the deck out but question is do I peal the Fiberglass layer off first? .... Its a very small shapped inside area and so I want to make sure I dont **** anything up... I am not retarded and I have plenty of handyman skills just dont know a boat as well as I would like to yet.

I look forward to any replies or advice on what you see in these pictures etc or if you need me to take more detailed photos... Thank you in advance for your time and kindness. photo3.jpgphoto2.jpgphoto.jpgIMG_7671.jpg

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Good Old 80's Cajun Espire.. Deck Repair

Welcome to iboats Dry Dock,

Yes your deck is fully under everything. You'll need to pop the top cap to replace deck and stringers.

You won't need to remove the fiberglass from the deck, just cut it loose and take the glass and wood out together.

If you happened to get super lucky and the foam isn't waterlogged you can leave it.

Post some more detailed pictures as you go....good luck.

joshvette001

Cadet

photo.jpg

This is a picture of the boat... Thank you for your reply... I do see that a few people have posted about removing the top cap... I am wondering what does it entail on this boat can you tell at all from this picture I mean where do I start? I am assuming to remove the top cap I need to remove the Engine completely :/ If thats the case obviously I must first build a engine stand.... Just making sure I understand what it is I really need to do... Do you have a reference as to which thread is the best for a reference on removing top caps on boats?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

View attachment 94842

This is a picture of the boat... Thank you for your reply... I do see that a few people have posted about removing the top cap... I am wondering what does it entail on this boat can you tell at all from this picture I mean where do I start? I am assuming to remove the top cap I need to remove the Engine completely :/ If thats the case obviously I must first build a engine stand.... Just making sure I understand what it is I really need to do... Do you have a reference as to which thread is the best for a reference on removing top caps on boats?

There are several threads about this.

1st....you'll need the engine removed.
2nd ...remove the rub rail (the rubber strip around the joint of the hull and cap) It might have screws or it may have rivets.

3rd...locate all the areas that the cap is tabbed to the decking and cut it loose there (look under consoles, in side strorage bins, inside the bildge, etc for tabbing places.)

4th. Disconnect all hoses from livewells, drains, etc.

I've done a Cajun in the past and removin the cap wasn't too bad (at least better than some)

Here's a picture of the engine stand I made.....

Attachments

• DSC_0044.jpg
    DSC_0044.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 0

joshvette001

Cadet

Cad or anyone else with some experience in this. I took a few more pictures and wanted another opinion.BoatOuterEdge.JPGTransoom2.JPGTransoom.JPGBackofBoat.JPG

As you can see in the following pictures I took two pics of the transom I wanted some opinions on if you see anything major going from them. I tapped on the Transom and I noticed a hollow sound all the way at the top but the further you went down it became a very noticeable that you where tapping wood... I am curious if it is starting to pull away or what? I see no spider patterns or other signs of issues in the paint so that's why I am curious. Also i attached a pic of the rub rail will i need to drill out every rivet? Also attached is a back of the drains to see if you guys see any signs of issues with the transom I am trying to figure out the best way of going at this because removing the top cap by myself is really going to be impossible. I appreciate any and all replies :)

joshvette001

Cadet

Alright guys this is kind of a mini bump? I posted this when the forum seemed to be having some serious issues with the server or something... Anyways I have a few updates. I have pulled the rub rail rubber out and have begun drilling the rivets. I have realized this is some serious back breaking work and I am only 19... Being partially bent over hammering the Other ends of the rivets through the glass is taking quite a bit of time. I am about to run and rent a Engine hoist to get this beast engine off the back because one guy lifting a 75hp engine is just not happening. From the test cuts I have made in the rotting floor it appears so far that the Transom and other parts may be perfectly fine... Once I remove the top cap I plan to take some better pictures to get a recommendation. I would love any comments on the above pictures on what you see or dont see etc... looking at the back of this it appears the original drain hole someone assumed was to high so they drilled another hole below i and than took a epoxy and caulk combination to seal the old one... Bad idea in my eyes and wondering what I should do to fix that... This was my grandfathers boat he bought it brand new so it has a sentimental value to me because of him passing last year and I am determined to restore this boat and get many years out of it like he would of loved to see happen.

joshvette001

Cadet

Alright guys I Have made some progress the engine is off I built the stand that is found in the References threads on here but than I also built my own addition to it because I am one guy trying to remove a engine. I built a kinda gantry type thing that I attached a puller to to lift the engine off the back, worked like a charm...

The issue I am now having is first off looking at the transom picture attached here its obvious mine is rotting. The second issue I am having is I Have the top cap completely separated at the front etc but at the back I am getting alot of resistance... my question is do they normally fuse the top cap to the bottom hull with a fiberglass layer? If so obviously I need to grind it and cut it but I don't wanna go grinding and cutting blind.... Anyone have any experience on these boats or know what I should look for?OutBoard Stand.jpgtransoomtopview.JPG

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That engine stand/lift is sweet!

They don't "normally" fuse the cap but with bass boats all bets seem to be off.

joshvette001

Cadet

Thanks for the reply man. yea I agree I really am proud of my stand haha I am 19 but I think I did a pretty good job coming up with that idea... My dad got home from work and was laughing his *** off that I actually got the engine off. Anyways attached are some more photos I Just tried grinding through some of the fiber glass. I am noticing that it seems like it goes all the way down until that little area ends... If thats the case cutting between the two is going to be a ***** and I honestly doubt possible... Does anyone else see from these pictures what would be a easier way to get this thing unstuck? I have to complete this job by the end of winter and its already falling behind because its taken me a week just to free the whole top cap except the back. BackofBoat1.jpgboat transomm1.jpgBoatTransom11.jpg

If you look in these pictures you can see what im referring to as the fiber glass holding it basically... Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello Josh :) ..

Im wondering why you havent gotten more attention myself .. sorry you had to wait so long

As far as the deck being "stuck" in the back .. your just have to look and see if they tabbed it in somewhere.

Did you get your hull/deck joint loose from the caulk ?

Also ( Im not a big fan of it..but because of your situation it may be the best viable option with your flake coat ) have you looked into a pourable transom ?

I guess chain saws are the preferred method used for the removal of the wood..then just pour it in.

YD.

PS. Ill mini bump you again too if needed ;) .

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Oh yea..were in MI are ya .. I might be close to come take a looksies :) ( Im Rosevilleish area ) .

YD.

joshvette001

Cadet

Hey Yacht... Thanks a bundle for replying lol I have been posting and realized so many other threads get all of these replies and I haven't gotten very much at all... I just kept posting to keep updates in hopes that someone would see... I live in Troy so Roseville isn't to far away... I actually drive by roseville quite a bit because of things I do for work. I am right in troy off exit 69 on I75. This is obviously my first boat restore I am young and don't know much about them but I am a pretty quick learner... Was able to rebuild the whole 75hp engine during the winter by only using the Service manual and forums and the puppy fires right up... Anyways attached are some picture of the underside which is where I am guessing the boat is connecting at and not letting it pop off... The other issue is the reason I opted for pulling the top off is because the whole deck needs to be replaced. The boat needs to be completely re wired because back when my grandfather had it a uncle decided to sabotage the boat and coat a bunch of wires etc and when we put the wires back together it didn't work fully 100 percent anyway. If you see these pictures I am sure you will see what I mean... I am unsure what to do at this point because either way the tops gotta come off I think. I Have gotten the floor separated from the actual glass... there wasn't caulk they actually fiberglassed the floor up onto the sides of the inside of the seats etc going around which I Had to use a dremel and go through and under all the way across... It really has been a ***** lol the red circle where I beleive it is stuck at... If you look the thing that is hanging is the underside of the drip area where oil and extra water drips out of in the back (im not sure the official name but its in my last pictures where I have all of the tools.)

As my dad has no idea about boats at all any help would be appreciated lol normally I would go to my father but... yea haha hes about useless on this one.

Thank You once again :)photo 3.JPG

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry, been busy lately and haven't had much time for the forum....I responed to your PM but will answer here as well.

When you asked about the top cap being bonded to the transom, I assume you mean at the splashwell correct? This can be the tuffest part of bass boats to remove and the deeper the splashwell the tuffer it is.

#1 You'll have to get a hole down from the top of the transom (at an angle) to where you are clear in the blige area.

#2 Work your sawzall blade (long and thinnest you can find) thru the hole you made and cut thru the plywood at the same angle as your transom. This can be a bit tricky but just take your time and you'll be fine. I usually have some one watch the inside for me and holler if I'm getting to close to anything. It will be slow cutting but there is only about 30" or less of that area so you'll get it.

#3 Once you've got it cut through it should seperate okay. You'll have to grind off the glass and wood that is still attached to the top cap before you reassemble it of course, but it's easy to do once it's seperated.

If this isn't what you're refferring too post a picture of the overall view of the transom and splashwell so I can take a closer look at what you've got. But the couple of Ragin Canjun's I've done have been this way.

Hope this helps and sorry again for not seeing this sooner.

CW

joshvette001

Cadet

Hey Cad,

Sorry about the PM but I figured that would be the best way to get ahold of ya. Completely understand you have been busy and I do really appreciate your time and help on any of this. I have taken a look out there and tried to drill a hole down in between the outer layer and into through the back but because of how Deep the splash well is I don't beelive being able to cut with a sawzaw there is going to be possible... The splashwell is about 6 or so inches deep I Know my sawzaw blades go about 8-10 in's but I can't get the angle I would need to be able to even do it... maybe I am not fully understanding you or I am just stupid but I tried drilling through down there and the issue is not having a very good angle because of the outer shell.

Any Ideas?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

For me, posting a pic of the Rear of your boat standing on top looking down at the splashwell area would give a much better perspective of the issue a a possible solution.

joshvette001

Cadet

Hey thanks for the advice attached are a few more pictures... I went and snapped them real fast after I saw your reply to try and get a better view. Tell me if you need other picture's or angles etc... I am just trying to figure out the best way to do this without ruining the boat and also creating more of a mess for me to try and fix. Also wanted to restate for new readers the reason why I am having to remove the top cap is because the Floor was rotting through and then I had suspicious from tapping on the inside of the transom that it may be rotted... Suspicion confirmed :/ TopViewSplashWell.JPGUnderSplashWell.JPGundersplash2.JPG

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Hey thanks for the advice attached are a few more pictures... I went and snapped them real fast after I saw your reply to try and get a better view. Tell me if you need other picture's or angles etc... I am just trying to figure out the best way to do this without ruining the boat and also creating more of a mess for me to try and fix. Also wanted to restate for new readers the reason why I am having to remove the top cap is because the Floor was rotting through and then I had suspicious from tapping on the inside of the transom that it may be rotted... Suspicion confirmed :/ View attachment 99301View attachment 99302View attachment 99303

You have exactly what I'm thinking. You can buy blades that are 18" long, and you'll just have to work a starting hole in there somehow, I know it's tuff somtimes. I've spend as long getting the splash well loose as I have the whole cap.

What part of the world are you located in?

joshvette001

Cadet

I am in Michigan :) and I will have to try... I just honestly don't wanna damage the boat but I also don't want this project to take until I turn 20 haha... In michigan you only have so long to work I am sure you know that and I don't wanna end up running out of time at the end of summer because the top cap took me a month to get off lol... I am already going on 2 weeks because I can't always work at it. I am just trying to figoure out how the hell I am going to drill that hole... I am thinking i will need to go buy a longer thicker drill bit.... I have a **** load of drill bits but nothing that long or thick.
Also so I can start ordering the supplies I will need to redo the transom etc I have read some of the fiberglass threads etc... was curious what do you think the best place to buy fiberglass supplies online is?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I am in Michigan :) and I will have to try... I just honestly don't wanna damage the boat but I also don't want this project to take until I turn 20 haha... In michigan you only have so long to work I am sure you know that and I don't wanna end up running out of time at the end of summer because the top cap took me a month to get off lol... I am already going on 2 weeks because I can't always work at it. I am just trying to figoure out how the hell I am going to drill that hole... I am thinking i will need to go buy a longer thicker drill bit.... I have a **** load of drill bits but nothing that long or thick.
Also so I can start ordering the supplies I will need to redo the transom etc I have read some of the fiberglass threads etc... was curious what do you think the best place to buy fiberglass supplies online is?

http://www.uscomposites.com/ This site is the most popular here.

I see Yacht Dr. thought he might could swing by an take a look see for you. I'm in Charlotte so a bit far away for me. I'd come by and help out if I could.

joshvette001

Cadet

Cad,

Thanks for the offer... Its always the thought that counts haha. I will check that site out... I am trying to decide if I should go with 1.5 or 2 thick mat for the transom? I am assuming the new floor I can just use 1.5 because obviously there is more support to it. Will the 1.5 be good for doing the transom? I am sure people have used both just wanted more of a personal opinion... and yea it would be cool if Yacht comes by I looked at alot of his posts and that guy is pretty damn good at what he does.

Edit:

Oh ya I am also going to run to Home Depot and see if I can get a drill bit that will be long and thick enough to start my blade and I also need to get a longer blade because I don't having anything quite that long.