Official Business of the 3V Club ( aka tri hull club )

Woodwrkr

Recruit
Hi all. I have a 1968 Fabuglas Trident 146 in decent shape. I had planned to keep fixing it up, but it just doesn't fit the new reality of my life/family/house/job. I tried selling for three months on iboats, but got no response. I think I'll need to get to people who appreciate these old trihulls. I've had ladies at the dock say the boat is pretty, but their husbands dragged them off when I said it was for sale.... Any contacts that you know who can help get it sold to a good home, or websites with trihull enthusiasts?

Thanks,
Chuck
Peoria, IL

darknightusa

Recruit
Ok. I am finally able to post on this site. It took me a while. I am applying to join the official Tri-Hull club. I am the new owner of a 1973 starcraft Capri 20' 888 powertrain. For being an old boat I bought for $500 is great! It needs a little tlc, but I can't complain.

zekemsu

Recruit
Inherited from my parents when they moved to FL permanently 1976 Starcraft Capri 17 I/O with 120 Mercruiser. All original! Interior finally showing some wear from my family. Has been a great boat and get many compliments about how they don't make them like that anymore.

redfury

Commander
With a dinged up 15p, I've seen 38mph,but a consistent 34. I think I would need a 17p to see better speed and economy, but I think I like it. I can get the big motor to troll down to 2mph. I'm still adding weight to the boat, so we will see where the final numbers are.

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Heres a rare one A glastron V196 trihull I bought this a year ago I have since done a complete rebuild (Glastron V196 restoration) Will this qualify for the club?

Attachments

• photo280444.jpg
    photo280444.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Jeff Fro

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does this count as a tri-hull? Yukon Delta/Brougham Bridger 24' boat. This seems to be a rare model, can't find another one like it on the WWW.

Attachments

• photo284135.jpg
    photo284135.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo284348.jpg
    photo284348.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 3

southkogs

Staff member
Technically, I think they'd call that a cathedral hull - - but as far as I'm concerned: You're in! :D

Jeff Fro

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cathedral hull? Hmm, didn't know that. Just starting to get into the bigger boats. And learning a lot. Found out today that it has two 18 gallon fuel tanks. I would've thought it would have a cope of 30-40 gallon tabs on it having been on lake Michigan.

southkogs

Staff member
Not really unique to larger boats - the idea of the tri-hull was to increase plane and stability. What you sacrifice is the ability to knock down chop easily - and thus can take a beating in rougher water. The cathedral hull took the deep V idea, and pushed the center sponson deeper. In theory, the hull will beat through chop a little better than a true tri-hull will.

One of my old boats was used heavily on lake Huron by the previous owner. 65HP and 2 six gallon cans. - - boats that size, you really want to be careful on going too far out from shore. She's not mean to bunker up for a run across the lake, y'know?

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Another application for the chipped tooth club;)
1974 Duo Vagabond (Starcraft Capri) 17foot Mercruiser 140
likely a restoration project but so far looks very solid and original.

Attachments

• photo284634.jpg
    photo284634.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 4
  • photo284635.jpg
    photo284635.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 4

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks, I hope it turns out well.
bought it from the 3rd owner, all records and receipts since new including original bill of sale.
has apparently been mostly a day use boat and indoor stored all of its life.
Go it for a very good price not running. Previous owner dropped the flame arrestor hold down nut down the carb. Could not fish it out, pulled the manifold and still could not retrieve it. Not a handy guy and not willing to go any deeper. Life was changing, 2 kids grown and both getting married this year. Decided to let it go. Is loss is my gain I hope.
i am an outdo mechanic by trade, I got the head off before the snow started to fly, no damage😎 Going to freshen it up over the winter and give the rest of it a good going over. I have 1 questionable spot just starboard of the gimbal housing .... SoftπŸ€”Better look when the weather gets better.

redfury

Commander
Spring thread revival! I hope everyone's winter was a good one, even if it was extended by a few weeks. Here in MN and WI, the question is...will there be open water for fishing opener?! I've heard reports of 3 feet of ice in northern MN yet, so the race is on. Personally, I'm trying to figure out/repair my outboard that started to sputter on me after warming up. Rebuilt the fuel pump as it had ruptured and Cylinder #3 decided to flame out a starter piston like explosion through my bellow and blew that up...hasn't run the same since. Currently replacing the head gasket to rule that out, and rebuilt my carbs over winter. Hopefully that's all I'll need to do...it's definitely a fuel/mechanical issue, not spark. Oh, you pesky marine engines!

Looks like we got a few new applicants to the club, welcome! Good looking boats everyone! Get that Gel coat polished, those seats clean and that battery charged for the 2018 boating season, and good luck to everyone! May your motors stay running, your lines stay wet, and your teeth stay in place!

Ricky B

Cadet
A Cobia sixteen foot something-or-other that was born in either 1960 or 1968-----depending on which piece of paper you believe. So far we're into her about $88.00 and three cases of Tecate. Gonna be absolutely frickin useless running out in the Pacific here in Baja, but should make for a bitchin estuary boat, here in our back bay.

THullGroenie

Cadet
Hi,

My brother recently purchased a boat here in Michigan. I am trying to find out more about the boat that he bought. As best I can find it is a 1975 Cruisers Mirro Marine possibly a Marlin Model. I can only find 2 boats like it. One is a 1971 and the other is a 1972. The boat has all original dials, upholstery, and wooden doors/hatches. I was hoping I would be able to find out more of what it is worth and if it is worth restoring or turning it int a fishing boat. It has a Ford 302 188HP Motor that runs great.

Thank You.

Left%20Side%20Exterior%20View.jpeg

Cockpit%20View%20Center.jpeg

​​​​​​
Engine%20View%201.jpeg

​​​​​​
Top%20View%20From%20Cabin.jpeg

​​​​​​
Cruisers%20Decal.jpeg

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
THullGroenie - welcome aboard: very few boats have ever been or will ever be "worth" restoring from a financial position. There are some rare boats, but it doesn't work like it does with cars (in terms of value). Restorations for boats have to be because you want to, have time to and/or have an emotional connection to.

Many (most?) will tell you that Ford power is a negative for marine engines. What drive is attached to it?

redfury

Commander
I can tell you this, that hull isn't going to be nice in rough water, you'll feel it absorb the waves instead of just push them aside. The size of the hull will help negate that effect to some degree, so it depends on the body of water you plan to use it on and sea conditions. Also, if it's anything like my Glastron, it turns very flat, so expect slot car like performance on the water...no leaning like a V hull unless you are at slower speeds. The nice thing though, is that they pop up on plane quick.