Official Business of the 3V Club ( aka tri hull club )

davelon

Recruit
dear all, this is my first post here

I'm in the process of design a new boat (20 foot) and I'm exploring to use a 3V hull, I thinking about better buoyancy when many people are all on same side, but I'm worried about planing capabilities. I also thinking at some deeper V at the transom (port and starboard side) so I'm looking for any feedback form this community that can hep me in designing the best 3V hull, or taking an informed decision in another direction.
dave

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Dave. I wouldn't worry about planing on in a tri-hull, they climb up on the water nicely. Smooth rides are the more the issue for the square jawed beasts. Some of the more "pickle forked" hull designs sound like what you're describing. Got any photos / renderings of what you're thinking?

We may want to move the conversation to another topic, but for now we can get the ball rolling here.

redfury

Commander
well, the collective experience of driving our boats here would be welcome chatter. I for one welcome our boat builder discussion. In regards to MY boat, it's Glastrons "Aqua lift 2" design. Getting on plane takes zero effort. However, the first thing I noticed was that my boat turns like a pontoon..very flat in the corners. Hitting the big waves sends a resounding "Ka'THUD" through the hull...like dropping a brick into water. Honestly though, I don't hit the high seas with my boat and I really do like the stability "at rest" . If I think of it, I should do a video of the boat during different types of water situations...

I think if I were to redesign the boat, I might bring the tri hull aspect of it back to the rear 2/3rds of the hull or even back half of it and see how it performed through the heavier waves.

I can tell you this, my neighbor had a 19ft and a 21ft Aluminum V hull and waves really weren't a burden for him on the lake during any level of waves we hit.

My hull absorbs the waves to help keep the hull up and out of the water. The problem is that wave energy is stored under the boat instead of pushed to the sides. Where does that energy go...up and down. Well, Down doesn't work that great since you are dealing with basic hydraulic theory, so the boat becomes the piston in the natural mechanism.

Tri hull- best boat for calmer waters where you plan to be at rest fishing and want a stable platform that isn't a pontoon.

jstanco

Recruit
Hey-just came across your thread and thought it would be cool to ask to join. I inherited an old '72 ( I think ) Sea Star by Glastex with a 50ho Evinrude. I am planning on making it a dual purpose fun/fishing machine. I can post a pic soon.

tallcanadian

Captain
well, the collective experience of driving our boats here would be welcome chatter. I for one welcome our boat builder discussion. In regards to MY boat, it's Glastrons "Aqua lift 2" design. Getting on plane takes zero effort. However, the first thing I noticed was that my boat turns like a pontoon..very flat in the corners. Hitting the big waves sends a resounding "Ka'THUD" through the hull...like dropping a brick into water. Honestly though, I don't hit the high seas with my boat and I really do like the stability "at rest" . If I think of it, I should do a video of the boat during different types of water situations...

I think if I were to redesign the boat, I might bring the tri hull aspect of it back to the rear 2/3rds of the hull or even back half of it and see how it performed through the heavier waves.

I can tell you this, my neighbor had a 19ft and a 21ft Aluminum V hull and waves really weren't a burden for him on the lake during any level of waves we hit.

My hull absorbs the waves to help keep the hull up and out of the water. The problem is that wave energy is stored under the boat instead of pushed to the sides. Where does that energy go...up and down. Well, Down doesn't work that great since you are dealing with basic hydraulic theory, so the boat becomes the piston in the natural mechanism.

Tri hull- best boat for calmer waters where you plan to be at rest fishing and want a stable platform that isn't a pontoon.

Well Said. I know where a lot of that energy goes, right to my fillings. But seriously I don't think that I would want a different style boat. For what I use it for, it's perfect.

brokenwrist

Seaman
Well Said. I know where a lot of that energy goes, right to my fillings. But seriously I don't think that I would want a different style boat. For what I use it for, it's perfect.

I know what you mean. I thought I was going to need new kidneys a couple of times by the time I came off the water. I use mine for fishing primarily, and with the low freeboard it makes it nice being able to wash my hands after handling a fish, and not having the boat list to one side.

Tribuild

Recruit
This is my first post here so hi to all the Tri Hull people here. I have owned several boats in the past and have boated most of my life. With one restoration under my belt about thirty years ago on a 16' fiberglass runabout I have taken on a new project. This project is a 1970 Seaswirl 16' Tri Hull needing a new transom and I'm sure more as I start cutting into it in the next few weeks.
Want to say right off thank you to everyone involved on this forum as I'm sure I will need to tap your expertise working with a Tri Hull

tallcanadian

Captain
It would be nice to see a pic of your tri hull. Go through the restoration section, you will get lots of info. Just one thing, if your transom needs to be replaced, chances are your stringers will need to be replaced too. Do it all at once and it will last you a life time.

Tribuild

Recruit
It would be nice to see a pic of your tri hull. Go through the restoration section, you will get lots of info. Just one thing, if your transom needs to be replaced, chances are your stringers will need to be replaced too. Do it all at once and it will last you a life time.
Thank you for your response. I'm sure I will need to do at least the aft 3 of 4 feet of the stringers and decking. The rest of the decking feels solid so wont know for sure until I make my first cuts.

PS: I didn't ask to join the Tri Hull group yet so here goes. May I join the group :)

Seahorse50

Cadet
No Title

I have a 1978 tri15 Hy-ryder, may I join?

Attachments

• photo252106.jpg
    photo252106.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 2

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No Title

So,

I posted elsewhere and it was "Suggested" to "Join The Club"... hehehe..

Ok, here goes... Am I in??? :)

Attachments

• photo253524.jpg
    photo253524.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1

southkogs

Staff member
Yup! The "square jaw" bow qualifies ya'! (I'm actually a guest now as I don't have my tri-hull anymore).

Brandon5778

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Me and my dad joining the club.

Coming in first my dad's 75 cobalt with a mercuiser and 351. This boat is in like mint condition
10onxq8.jpg

Annnd for $900 I found also a 75 cobalt with a mercruiser and a 302 for me to work on and restore.

2uq21s3.jpg

Sorry I don't know why the pics keep uploading sideways

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Very nice - it'll be a great help having a mint condition example to learn from.

Buickmike

Seaman Apprentice
Here's my baby....I can only see the manufacture date from behind the kicker bracket...its a 1985..16ft .from my research so far, i think it might be a Glastron T-162??
Anyone out there help with identifying it? It has solid floors and transom and a 1985 Yamaha 70 on the back:)
12f01b66-65e6-4939-bfb2-f9ba1a7acdc4_zps5cbbfgdt.jpg b460dac0-b2be-4420-83d5-e71a73a4805d_zpsd9kb2cpc.jpg IMG_0191_zpsuixev8jq.jpg

southkogs

Staff member
It does look like a Glastron. If it's an '85, there should be a HIN stamped into the back of it usually just under the rub rail. The MIC code at the front of that will tell you the manufacturer, and the number will give you the year for certain.

Buickmike

Seaman Apprentice
After doing more research, i have discovered she is a Swiftsure. Not a whole lot of info online about them tho:(