Sundeck hinge replacement need drillable wood filler

dellsboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I have removed the sun-deck to put in new hinges. The hinges call for 12 screws each, 6 into the sun-deck, 6 to the boat its self. The previous owner kept drilling and adding more screws instead of fixing it right. I am going to use marine tex to fill the holes on the boat, but need advise for the sun-deck. I removed the vinyl and found from the 25 screws the owner put in, the wood is all chewed up. It is very dry and brittle. I chiseled out the area and have made a new piece to replace over the damaged area. I would like to fill in all the holes before I glue in the patch. Also want to fill in the 6 holes on the other side to give it more strength.
Now my question, what can I use to fill in the holes that will harden enough to drill and mount hinges to? I know I could use marine tex, but I just have enough for the fiberglass holes, and would like something I can get locally instead of ordering.
Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sundeck hinge replacement need drillable wood filler

If you have an Ace Hardware close by Get some PC-11 Same stuff as Marine Tex.

dellsboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Really? I looked at Ace, they had the a bad review of this product on the website stating it never will harden and does not say it is drillable. I will be putting in self taping wood screws, will it hold?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I have used This type multiple times with GREAT success!! There are different variaties it appears!!!

-knRz_pZwJNMKNBHxe96pW7ImKMFtFVgPHbTU_b_DQFUdoT-Kl35H21_tZ-HV1hRGWaPp6Rfmvo6Df4RVP8cIXsyfznVxuWnJCQbDwJS1XvcNneb_Iz5OcR_MHH-iyj9NIHJS70oBFgDNW4Q-AuMARKDyOdf_wUNaK1L6Ec9jy0wFk8u35N5KSI1Z11q3_AK7zNhtPWQ7V_nRa_zwWbhylyd4GQ

$13 online
PC-11 is a white, marine grade paste epoxy that bonds and cures, wet, dry and underwater. PC-11 is a simple 1:1 mix. PC-11 allows about 30 minutes of working time and cures for service in 12-24 hours. The epoxy can be shaped and molded and machined and painted after cured. PC-11 is your choice when extra flexibility is needed; you are bonding to a wet or underwater surface or where the white color is more advantageous. Bonds to unlike surfaces.
Add to Shopping List

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

How about some 5 minute epoxy?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Is the hatch made of wood? Why can't you just replace the wood?

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sure. I've used it a lot. If you want it bullet proof, overdrill the areas, fill the areas with resin, drill, then use t-nuts and bolts. The resin is stronger if you can mix it will various fillers (chopped or milled fibers). This isolates the wood from the screw. Is this a long hinge area?

I did something similar to mount my trip pump: http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1970&start=50

Marine-Tex may work too, but's it's pricey in quantity.

dellsboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cadweller, it is but it is custom made with rounded edges, and curves and such. I could buy a router, table saw and remove all the vinal and such, but the vinyl is in good shape, so want to try a fix first. I could always have it replaced when I have the funds, and let someone else make it for me, but am afaid it would run hundreds of dollars. We boaght this boat last fall, so would like to see if it fits our needs before I sink to much in it.

dellsboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sure. I've used it a lot. If you want it bullet proof, overdrill the areas, fill the areas with resin, drill, then use t-nuts and bolts. The resin is stronger if you can mix it will various fillers (chopped or milled fibers). This isolates the wood from the screw. Is this a long hinge area?

I did something similar to mount my trip pump: http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1970&start=50

Marine-Tex may work too, but's it's pricey in quantity.

Wow nice thread on your rebuild, quality work! Got a case on beer if you wanna stop over and help! Suppose would take at least a keg or two for you to drive from TX!
The hinge is 12 inches long, takes 2 hinges for the pad.
Anyways, not sure what a t nut is, but I can not have a bolt end sticking up as it would come through the vinyl if it was stepped on.
Went to Ace found the PC-7 its $6 for the same amount of marine tex I paid over $20!

dellsboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have used This type multiple times with GREAT success!! There are different variaties it appears!!!

-knRz_pZwJNMKNBHxe96pW7ImKMFtFVgPHbTU_b_DQFUdoT-Kl35H21_tZ-HV1hRGWaPp6Rfmvo6Df4RVP8cIXsyfznVxuWnJCQbDwJS1XvcNneb_Iz5OcR_MHH-iyj9NIHJS70oBFgDNW4Q-AuMARKDyOdf_wUNaK1L6Ec9jy0wFk8u35N5KSI1Z11q3_AK7zNhtPWQ7V_nRa_zwWbhylyd4GQ

$13 online
PC-11 is a white, marine grade paste epoxy that bonds and cures, wet, dry and underwater. PC-11 is a simple 1:1 mix. PC-11 allows about 30 minutes of working time and cures for service in 12-24 hours. The epoxy can be shaped and molded and machined and painted after cured. PC-11 is your choice when extra flexibility is needed; you are bonding to a wet or underwater surface or where the white color is more advantageous. Bonds to unlike surfaces.
Add to Shopping List

Ace has the pc-7 which the saleman says is the same stuff, only not white...true?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Cadweller, it is but it is custom made with rounded edges, and curves and such. I could buy a router, table saw and remove all the vinal and such, but the vinyl is in good shape, so want to try a fix first. I could always have it replaced when I have the funds, and let someone else make it for me, but am afaid it would run hundreds of dollars. We boaght this boat last fall, so would like to see if it fits our needs before I sink to much in it.

Reason for asking is I've made several, but I have all the tools needed at hand. I understand. What part of the world are you in?

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. I have the same issue with my sundeck. Right now it has 3 home made hinges and the mounting areas are a mess from all the screw holes. I haven't used the PC stuff (plan to get some though), but I've marine tex. It?s pretty thick, but you may be able to us a syringe to fill those holes with whatever you use.

I used some of this last weekend to fill some holes. It has 2 syringe tips. Picked up at the hardware store.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epxy_1min/overview/Loctite-Epoxy-Instant-Mix-1-Minute.htm

As a nice alternative, I?ve been looking at these hinges.
http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=11877&c=27
I figure it would easier to remove the hinge bolt rather than the mounting screws each time. Maybe even replace the bolts with pins. They?re not cheap though.

dellsboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Reason for asking is I've made several, but I have all the tools needed at hand. I understand. What part of the world are you in?

Wisconsin. Wanna come visit? Bring your tools!

dellsboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I have the same issue with my sundeck. Right now it has 3 home made hinges and the mounting areas are a mess from all the screw holes. I haven't used the PC stuff (plan to get some though), but I've marine tex. It?s pretty thick, but you may be able to us a syringe to fill those holes with whatever you use.

I used some of this last weekend to fill some holes. It has 2 syringe tips. Picked up at the hardware store.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epxy_1min/overview/Loctite-Epoxy-Instant-Mix-1-Minute.htm

As a nice alternative, I?ve been looking at these hinges.
http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=11877&c=27
I figure it would easier to remove the hinge bolt rather than the mounting screws each time. Maybe even replace the bolts with pins. They?re not cheap though.

Nice, I would need at least four of them. Would be harder to to remove and line up the sunpad....

dellsboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update:
I used Marine tex on the pad and on the fiberglass. The original design had a piece of vinyl between the hinge and the transom area behind the hinge. It folded over the top of the hinge to hide it. I did not put it back on, and the hinge fit very tight into the marine tex once drilled. The hinges are alum, so I think I will leave the vinyl cover off the hinge. It did cause the bottom of the pad to collect water and rot out the sun deck where the hinge mounted. I used a product called wood petrified on the deck, really made the wood firm. I then chiseled out the bad wood, re coated the area, filled the holes with PC11 like Marine tex, but as suggested above, available at Ace hardware. It looks and feels just like marine tex, but comes in an easier to mix design. Am mounting the deck tonight.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Wisconsin. Wanna come visit? Bring your tools!

Well, thanks for the offer, but I'll extend it the other way.....bring the old hatches down here and I'll cut ya out some that you can't tell from factory, it'll only cost you the beer we drink while making them.

dellsboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe this winter when it will nicer down there then here, by the way how much can you drink!

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe this winter when it will nicer down there then here, by the way how much can you drink!

Oh depends on how much cutting we have to do.....LOL