14 ft valco boat build

landshark23

Cadet
Hay new to the forum just picked up my second boat for 300 bucks. Best part is it came with an old mercury 110 not running but should be a easy fix. The motor has good compression and good spark lookslike it just neeeds a new water pump and fuel line. I will get some picks up for it here in a little.

My plan is to strip the boat down to bare metle and build up from there going to be redoing the transome putting in a front and rear casting decks lights, running lights

here are some pic of the boat as it sits right now. worked on the engine today and got it running like new. All it needed was a new fuel line and some spark plugs and a little carb adjustment and it seems as good a new. Its going to need a new water pump be for i test it on the lake though and after that time to sell it i already have 3 motor and cant justify a fourth.

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

landshark23

Cadet
Re: 14 ft valco boat build

ok so first i thought i would post a quick picture of me 12 footer that i finished about a year ago. it came out good but it was a little to small for me and my girlfriend to go camping in so i started looking for a new project and found the 14 footer.

file.php

I got a lot done this weekend . After power washing the boat and checking for leaks. the first part of business was taking care of transom, it looks like the pervious owner had redone it. The only problem was he did it wrong, and on top of that he had used pressure treated lumber soaked in motor oil. So i ripped it out and used it as a starting point and made it better i also got the rear deck built on saturday. the hardest part of building the new transom was getting it in. I built it in 5 peaces with two layers and two layers of fiber glass in the middle came out real strong and looks good.

here is a good shot of the transom and two of the supports for the deck
file.php

file.php

file.php

here is a few pics of the deck before I coated the top side with resin. i put a slight ark in the back deck not enough to noticed but enough for water to run to the side and out the back if i get a wave over the stern.

file.php

landshark23

Cadet

Here is my water-fuel separator. i will run lines to both tanks with shut off valves for each tank
file.php

i will be making a box to catch all water that comes over the stern on a bad day
file.php

one last one
file.php

that about as far as i got on saturday

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Keep in mind you'll need to subtact all the weight you're adding from the total weight allowed in the boat.

landshark23

Cadet

the boat is rated for 1100 lbs of gear and or up to 6 people according to the placard in the boat . so far i have weighed all the lumber i am putting in the boat and it weighs less than 150 lbs. i figure for the most part its going to be me and one other person plus gear. so we should never go over 600 pounds of gear and person leaving me 400 lbs for motor, gas, batterie, trolling motor,.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sweet, I love Valcos, they are some sharp looking aluminum hulls:)

I will be following this one, good luck to ya!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Did you coat your transom wood with epoxy resin?

landshark23

Cadet

figured i would take a brake and show u what i did on sunday. took the morning to plant my garden so i got started around 11 ish. I started working on the front casting deck. earlier in the week i took it out to a near by lake and checked for leaks i also checked stability to my surprise it was a lot more stable than my 12 footer. Which lead me to the decision to put in a raised casting deck. i am also going to put the batterie for the trolling motor in up front should help keep some of the weight out of the back of the boat.

here u can see my supports for the front casting deck
file.php

After that i made a template out of card board and cut out the front deck. for the middle bench i decided to make it into a large storage bin. so i cut a hatch into to the bench and removed all the foam what u cant see is i added some angled aluminum to the wall to add some strength back in. after that i started to carpet the back deck and middle storage compartment.

here u can see the final product. at some point i will be sealing the bottom of the compartment so it will be dry i am thinking fiber glass any ideas would be great.

file.php

file.php

file.php

finished the back casting deck and middle storage area in the dark before calling it a nite
file.php

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

the boat is rated for 1100 lbs of gear and or up to 6 people according to the placard in the boat . so far i have weighed all the lumber i am putting in the boat and it weighs less than 150 lbs. i figure for the most part its going to be me and one other person plus gear. so we should never go over 600 pounds of gear and person leaving me 400 lbs for motor, gas, batterie, trolling motor,.

You did good...many don't think about it.

landshark23

Cadet

You did good...many don't think about it.

thanks i learned a lot from the first boat i did a couple years ago and have applied a lot of that knowledge to this job. the increased weight capacity was one of the requirements for this boat i passed up several other 14 foot because they were rated for less motor and weight.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Where is the flotation???????????

landshark23

Cadet

Where is the flotation???????????

there will be pour in foam in the bow and under the back deck that will compensate for the removal of the foam from the center plus there will be sheet foam under the decking. hopefully i will never need to get wet. also there is still foam under the rear bench and front bench it should have more floatation that it did originally

landshark23

Cadet

well i did not get much done to day had class most of the day i did manage to get the two floor board cut out and coated with epoxy and then carpet. the first one was real easy and the second one was was a little harder but neither took as much time as the bow casting deck. in the end i was really happy with the way they came out, they look real sharp.

here is a pic of one of the floor boards
file.php

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

there will be pour in foam in the bow and under the back deck that will compensate for the removal of the foam from the center plus there will be sheet foam under the decking. hopefully i will never need to get wet. also there is still foam under the rear bench and front bench it should have more floatation that it did originally

Smart! Good plan. ;)

landshark23

Cadet

i got a lot done this week its been nice having the week off from work. I got a couple days of fishing in too, with my buddy during the week on our pontoon boats up at lake Sonoma. wether was nice and the fishing wasn't to bad. will get some pic of the progress in the morning but here are a few from our fishing trip
file.php

file.php

file.php

landshark23

Cadet

i have had a blast this week building on my boat. i have managed to get all the carpet done and the inside pated with dark gray hammer finish turned out real nice. i also got most of my aluminum in with brass screws locks real sharp. i am real happy with the way it is turning out. i also finished most of the wiring up in the boat i used a blue sea fuse box and ran 2 gage wire from the battery to a breaker and then to the blue sea fuse box. i also put in two pedestal seats with removable post for now i am reusing my seat out of my 12 footer to save some money for now i like the look of the seat on HennaOjisan 12 foot valco there real nice. i ended up painting the engine cover for the motor white for now as it was pretty beat up. Any one know were i can get some vinyl graphics for the cover that look like the old graphics. i also put in two sets of fishing pole holder it was a challenge to find good spots to put them and not take up too much room. i also added in foam under the decking and up in the the bow i also added in pour in foam to compensate for all the foam i removed from the center bench that i turned into a nice size storage compartment.
here u can see the front deck finished with aluminum trim on the hatches

here u can see the front deck finished with aluminum trim on the hatches.
file.php

i added two seat mount so u can drive comfortably and put it in the center to fish. the hardest part of mounting the seats was putting a large hole in my new deck.
file.php

file.php

file.php

here is the start of my switch panel and rear fish finder location. this thing took forever to make i think it turned out really well. I coated a sheet of 3/16 plywood with epoxy and then put 3 coat of white paint on it. the control panel brings all my major electrical components together into one easy accessible spot.
file.php

finished product
file.php

landshark23

Cadet

i put foam and and plastic diamond plate in the compartment and seal it as well to make a nice size dry compartment. when i sealed the compartment i made it possible for water to still move towards the back of the boat were the bilge pump is.

file.php

file.php

i did the same thing to the stern compartment but did not seal it up
file.php

here you can see the middle hatch closed, i added locks to all the hatches in the boat as well to keep out the vermin that may think of steeling 60 worth of gas and such.
file.php

her is one of the gass tanks there is one like it on the other side. i still need to paint them and clean them up a little.
file.php

i decided to put the batterie up in the bow to help spread the weight out a little should make getting on a plain easer but should have no problem with the 25hp motor.
file.php

landshark23

Cadet

one thing i decided to put in was night light so you can find you fishing stuff at night. i got these off ebay to 5 bucks they are just like the ones u can get from Cabelas for like 20 bucks. i put a switch in up on the bow so you can turn them on from up front as well as a stern switch. there is also a set back by the stern that run up towards the bow that light up the back deck and so forth. the nice thing about these is they don't take much power and are not to bright.
file.php

file.php

guitarkev77

Seaman Apprentice

Looks great! Nice work. It makes me want to redo my little lake boat in the same fashion. 25 HP should have her scooting on the water pretty well.

-Kevin