Saturated rudder repair

Life In Balance

Recruit
A minor grounding damaged the bottom edge of the rudder on my Beneteau Oceanis 370. The rudder is fiberglass with a wood core. When I attempted to repair the damage with fiberglass, I noticed a very slow drip of water coming from the rudder. I probably would not have noticed it if I hadn't run my hand over the damaged area. I assume the water is rainwater entering the rudder from the top where the rudder post enters the rudder body. I'm concerned about the condition of the wood core. It is a 20-year old boat which I have owned for the past 3 years, so I have no idea how long the leak has existed. The rudder seems solid, but I am still considering injecting some Git.Rot into it. I'd appreciate any input anyone may have.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Saturated rudder repair

Git Rot will do nothing to help the situation.

For any repair to work the wood needs to be throughly dry and then seal all possible leak sites. If the wood is wet when you seal it up it will rot in about the same amount of time as if you do nothing at all.

You may be able to draw a vacuum on the rudder and with some heat it may dry out, but it will take some time.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Saturated rudder repair

Git Rot will do nothing to help the situation.

For any repair to work the wood needs to be throughly dry and then seal all possible leak sites. If the wood is wet when you seal it up it rot in about the same amount of time as if you do nothing at all.
You may be able to draw a vacuum on the rudder and with some heat it may dry out, but it will take some time.

Ayuh,... I agree, Completely...

How big is it,..??
Will it fit in your Oven,..??
A day at low temps(200?/ 300?) will do wonders, at dryin' it out...