8' Livingston Repaired & Redesigned (w/ Video)

dan the tuna

Cadet
A 7'6" Livingston isn't very interesting...only rated for 3 hp... which is a shame because all I have is this 7.5 Hp 4-stroke Longshaft Honda I use as a kicker for my 17' Four Winns. Sure, this could work... and it did :). Overpowered or underpowered? You decide.

Livingston Modifications:
cutout and re-glassed transom 12" towards the bow
added stern spray skirts
added UHMW 1/2" thick keel rub rails
added attwood stablizers to engine
painted with Rustoleum inside and out
fabricated home-made trim tabs adjustable with turnbuckle
installed Anchor-mate system
front fold-down boardrack (doubles as wind blocker)
lifejacket straps
fuel tank straps
installed electric winch in truck to make launching easy

Video of sea trials:

just recieved a 11-pitch prop yesterday, have not had the chance to test it out yet. I believe the prop I was using in the video was 9-pitch (not sure, it was original). Honda outboard is a 1982 BF75 (BF7.5) 7.5HP 4-stroke Longshaft.

86RajunCajun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 8' Livingston Repaired & Redesigned (w/ Video)

Looks like a fun and easy to use setup! congrats on making it how you like it! Cool video and neat song!

RC

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Pretty danm Cool,.... ;)

dan the tuna

Cadet

I tested the "Mini Tuna" yesterday with the 11-pitch prop.... could not get on plane, motor only at 1/3 the proper RPM. Assuming the original was a 9-pitch I think that a 10-pitch is going to be the winner. As you can see in the video (w/ 9-pitch prop), I am only able to get onto plane by "surfing" the wake Yes, I am fully aware of the ridiculousness of this project... one of the reasons why I did not post a topic when I started this,... this thing.

...I guess I'm in the wrong subforum now that I'm talking about the prop. Shoot, i guess this should have been posted in the Complete Projects subforum anyways to begin with,... sorry moderator.

@ Bond-o, thanks for the compliment. I've been lurking this forum for sometime and have always found your posts to be very helpful... and straight to the point :)