1968 Starcraft Sea Scamp 12 - Paint and Power (advice?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nervous Ned

Cadet
A great weekend -- just came home with a 12-foot 1968 Starcraft for fishing the back coves. It's exactly what I've been looking for, even if it's a little rough.

So here are my first questions:
When I put the Sea Scamp into the water I didn't notice any leaks, and the previous owner said he's never had any issues. So the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes to mind. And I actually like the existing color scheme. But I wouldn't mind painting the bottom hull and sides, and treating the interior seams / rivets with Gluvit as a precaution since I'd like to keep it in the water at the dock all summer.

• Is there any potential harm I could do by stripping / sanding / repainting that could cause a problem that doesn't currently exist?

• If I do decide to repaint, do I need to strip down to bare aluminum, or can I sand down to smooth it out and then paint over the existing paint?

I've been reading through several Starcraft renovation threads and know there's lots of wisdom and expertise in the forum, so I'd appreciate any feedback or comments...

starcraft_0029.jpg

The bottom is painted white -- stained a greenish tint by light coating of algae:

starcraft_0040.jpg

Interior has a few light coatings of light blue paint:

starcraft_0020.jpg

starcraft_0047.jpg

starcraft_0002.jpg

Nervous Ned

Cadet
Re: 1968 Starcraft Sea Scamp 12 - Paint and Power (advice?)

Also, there's a single small hole on a channel that runs down the bottom center of the boat. Should it be there as a drain hole?

starcraft_0041.jpg

Nervous Ned

Cadet

A question about power:
I'm now looking for a 8hp-10hp outboard for the boat. I need to decide between buying a new motor or going used.

I've been researching the Tohatsu / Nissan 8hp and 9.9hp new as well as the Mercury, but it seems odd to put a new (expensive) motor on a very inexpensive boat. But, used outboards in this small size range seem to be harder and harder to find in my area.

I did find a 1966 Evinrude Outboard 9.5 hp short shaft tiller (see pics below):

Here's the description from the seller:
Never seen salt water.
Had this outboard on a 12 foot row boat.
Used it for two seasons on Budd Lake.
Very reliable outboard, never had a problem with it.
I purchased this outboard from the original owner who used it on Lake Michigan. I upgraded to a larger motor three years ago and this outboard has been in my basement ever since.
Started the motor on 4/5/2011. It started right up in three pulls.

Is going with a 40+ year motor a bad idea if it seems to run?
Compression test, water flow - anything else to look for?
Suggestions????

Also, let me know if you have any feedback on paint / stripping in the posts above....

3nc3k73l25Y25Z25R6b4h16047029d7511a52.jpg

3mc3p03lb5Y35T45W4b4hc219a34ec2e91c3e.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice find there. I would powerwash it, rough sand it so the new paint has something to grip to, hit any bare aluminum spots with etching primer, then prime and paint it with Rustoleum. That hole in your keel is fine. That's not a water-tight piece. For a motor, any Johnson/Evinrude/Mercury 4-10HP will be great and $300-800 should get you a nice motor. Check the compression before buying and replace the water pump impeller after buying before you hit the water and you'll be good to go. We have a similar little 14' Alumacraft that we power with a little Evinrude 4HP and while it obviously won't plane, it still moves along really well and even with 3 adults in it we can cover a lot of area in an outing with that little motor. Here's ours: http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/DSCF2577.jpg

Nervous Ned

Cadet

Thanks for the tips - I should be able to knock out the painting over the next two weekends. And I'll keep looking for a motor - one should turn up around here soon.

We have a similar little 14' Alumacraft that we power with a little Evinrude 4HP and while it obviously won't plane, it still moves along really well and even with 3 adults in it we can cover a lot of area in an outing with that little motor. Here's ours: http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/DSCF2577.jpg

The Alumacraft you showed in the photobucket looks identical to the one we used to go fishing as a kid with my Grandfather in the 1970's -- and that's the reason I bought this boat. I have an 18 foot Chaparral that's great for water sports or cruising the main lake, but there's nothing like an aluminum boat for fishing and the feel of being close to the water and exploring the more shallow coves.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Same for us. We got it to take to places we're afraid to take my 18'. Also good for a local HP restricted lake. Better yet, I got my old man to buy it :D

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

We have a similar little 14' Alumacraft that we power with a little Evinrude 4HP and while it obviously won't plane, it still moves along really well and even with 3 adults in it we can cover a lot of area in an outing with that little motor.

I'd like to see you show up at a tournament with a 4....geeeeez ;) :p ;)

ljc1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you have any mechanical skills? Even if you don't, those old outboards are easy to work on and parts are easy to get. Don't let the age scare you. Have the owner start it and, if it runs good and the price is right, buy it. From the pics it looks good.

Nervous Ned

Cadet

Mechanical skills = moderate. I grew up with a 1973 115hp Johnson outboard so I've been around them my whole life. Getting parts for anything older than 15 years (esp. OMC) was my biggest concern, but it sounds like it's not a big deal to find impellers, etc. I really like the looks of the older motors with the older boat.

Now I want to enter a fishing tournament! I thought you'd get disqualified if you show up with anything under 225hp.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice Sea Scamp you've got there, welcome to the Starcraft fleet:)

That's almost identical to my AeroCraft, fun little boats for sure. The 565lb weight rating is easy to break so I try to keep everything lightweight when possible.

A 7.5-10hp will do well on that boat, I have run a '55 5.5hp Johnson and a little more hp would be nice sometimes:D

Nervous Ned

Cadet

Over the weekend, I've been stripping the paint and primer (original from the 1960s) from the interior hull seams / rivets and ordered a jug of Gluvit through the local marine shop. Next step is to prep the raw aluminum, etch primer, Gluvit, sand the rest of the hull, primer, then paint!

Recommendations on etch primer? Do most people use the Rustoleum spray I saw at Home Depot?

Do you have any mechanical skills? Even if you don't, those old outboards are easy to work on and parts are easy to get. Don't let the age scare you. Have the owner start it and, if it runs good and the price is right, buy it. From the pics it looks good.

A question about outboards from prior to 1985....

Does the change in fuel from leaded (1950s-70s) to unleaded / ethanol E-10 have any impact in the looking for an outboard or are people running older outboards doing ok with "modern" gasoline? I'm finding a few interesting older models out there from the 1960s-80s, but didn't know if I need to worry about the actual gasoline and its impact on performance.

I'm tempted by a brand new Mercury 9.9 on sale at the local dealership...
Something in my gut is telling me to go with a new outboard 4-stroke, but part of me wants to keep looking for an older one.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Recommendations on etch primer? Do most people use the Rustoleum spray I saw at Home Depot?

Duplicolor from Pep-Boys http://www.duplicolor.com/products/selfEtchingPrimer/ a light dusting is all that's needed.

Does the change in fuel from leaded (1950s-70s) to unleaded / ethanol E-10 have any impact in the looking for an outboard or are people running older outboards doing ok with "modern" gasoline?

I wouldn't worry about it. A change in fuel lines and not hanging on to stored fuel as long is about all that's needed.

Nervous Ned

Cadet

After stripping paint away from the rivets and seams last weekend, I put the boat back in the lake and sat for an hour to see where any leaks might be forming... There was only one spot that leaked - the seam where the bow forms.

starcraft_leaking_seam1.jpg

The seam was fllled with a rubbery waterproofing material that I assume was a patch by the previous owner. I pulled out the material.

starcraft_rubber_0064.jpg

I bought a quart of Gluvit that I will use to seal all the rivets and seams throughout the interior of the boat.

So here's my next question:
After applying the Gluvit, do I need to fill in this area with an epoxy or just prime and paint?

starcraft_leaking_seam2.jpg

bananaboater

Ensign

Hi Ned, I just discovered your thread. Welcome to SC Fleet. The rubber stuff you pulled out is original to the SC fabrication. We all have dealt with it. Before Gluvit I would try to clean up the rivets and seams a bit more with medium to fine wire brush, by hand or power. The Gluvit will etch itself into the clean aluminum and run into the seams. No need to fill the gap. Looking forward to seeing progress.

Nervous Ned

Cadet

Thanks Bananaboater! I'm already keeping my eye out for a Starcraft runabout, these little aluminum boats are amazing...

Good to know that the Gluvit works directly on the raw aluminum. Yeah, I still have a lot more work on the rivets; that old paint / primer is stubborn. I bought a few wire brushes and a brush attachment for the drill if I need some extra help or lose patience.

UPDATE:
I just had a chance to take the Scamp out for my first powered ride this afternoon with a 1972 7.5 hp Mercury 2-stroke! It was great to get out on the water and zoom around. It handles great and will be perfect for exploring the fishing coves.

starcraft_mercury_0052.jpg

A local marina had it stored in the back of their garage and it started right up and runs like new. New impeller and sparks, and loaded up with some Valvtect marine fuel (non-ethanol). The 7.5 seems slightly underpowered (couldn't quite make it to a plane) but it's a nice little motor to start off with and it plows along quickly. Will try to move the gas tank even further towards the bow to see if that helps.

starcraft_mercury_0053.jpg

Here's another question:
The marina owner told me to make sure to lock down the outboard, that even a 40 year old motor could walk away.

Any suggestions for outboard locks?

I'll hunt around the forum and online as I'm sure there are some good options, but would appreciate any ideas.

Neeco

Seaman Apprentice

Bringing back an old thread to say, Nice boat! I just picked one up for myself. Very similar to yours! Any updates??

oldman Jlo

Recruit

Hi Ned,

I just found your post and will be doing the same myself. I got my '65 Sea Scamp from a non-profit in WI, and from the looks of it, it was outside during the winter so I have lots of clean up to do. The wood is all gone including the transom so as soon as I get the Mahogany from a speciality store, I'll start cutting and preserving.

I saw your posting about the etching primer, so I'll add that to my supply list. I plan on sanding the inside and outside, and have started looking into the paint. I found the current paint had a lot of chalk, so I need to do a lot of preping. What else did you find you needed in preping for painting? Have you completed the painting?

It sounds like I am about six months behind you, but since we don't do much outside during the summer, like you guys in the winter, I am right in the middle of our season for outside projects like this one.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Jlo

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the forum oldman Jlo. This poster hasn't been back to the site in months and I doubt he'll return. Please start your own thread for the best advice. We've got lots of experienced aluminum painters here.

Status
Not open for further replies.