1972 Starcraft Nova 18'

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 Starcraft Nova 18'

Hey guys, got to meet a Starcraft bro today. That was cool!

Nate is a great guy and has a totally awesome Nova, really love those lines! I know I've said it before - if I was ever fortunate enough to own a dedicated ski/tube/cruise rig, this would be the one I would want. She is sweet:D

Unfortunately, I didn't give Nate a whole lot of good news today. Sorry buddy:(

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ugh, cracked block? That would suck.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Just look for and buy a donor motor - I am sure one can be found for around $400.

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for stopping by Jasoutside. Now I feel like I have to decide if I'm going to do the restoration now, put it off for a while, or sell the boat. I know the boat would be nice once restored. However, I have to weigh all the factors and see if I'm up to the commitment.

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess I have to do a lot more studying, because right now I'm not sure how I'd know how to tell if the donor motor is good.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for stopping by Jasoutside.

No problem, it was great to see that cool Nova;)

I know you were hoping for something closer to a gas and go boat. Bummer that Nova isn't quite there.

I guess I have to do a lot more studying, because right now I'm not sure how I'd know how to tell if the donor motor is good.

Yah, that is a trick. Cheap boats are usually that way due to neglect, which includes the engine. Cheap, with an entire driveline in good condition is a rare bird.

All the best:D

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm trying to figure this out just a little before I dive in. I know the engine/outdrive are a big what if, however, what would be an cost estimate for a total restoration? I'm not talking about an immaculate paint job etc., just a proper restoration, complete but not fancy. I think this Nova would be a rock solid boat which I could use for many years if I did the job right. However, when it comes down to it, there are other options. I could just sell this and buy something that is ready to use now. As you can tell I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I'm not ready to give up the boat, however, I do have hurdles that would prevent me from starting a restoration right now (money, work space/storage etc.).

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

what would be an cost estimate for a total restoration?

Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500 to $4000 very much dependant on your ability to spend wisely and sniff out sweet deals where available.

If you need a new (used) 120/140 that would likely be an extra $1500ish.

If you need a new (SEI) outdrive that would be an extra $1300.

I could just sell this and buy something that is ready to use now

You could probably grab a water ready (all be it not immaculate) boat for around $4000 and go boating today. Shoot, today would be an awesome day to go boating!:D

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, my Dad stopped by yesterday and wanted to mess with the boat. I guess it was good to have him providing a little motivation. We took it to the launch and got it running. I have quite a few problems; here is a few of them:

- doesn't idle almost at all
- throttle control seems way off (although I don't know exactly what a good one feels like); I have to have the handle way forward to get it to start and stay running
- fuel tank looks like it has rust spots on the inside bottom
- clanking/knocking sound when the engine was running at certain rpms
- still not sure about water in oil, but not expecting the best
- transom leaks like an sob, I could hear and see the water coming in, and it seemed like it drained for a least 5 minutes when I pulled it out of the water

On a good note, I found out the boat loads a lot straighter if I crank it up with the winch vs. trying to drive it on the trailer.

I think that is about it. I really want to get a definitive answer/status of my engine and outdrive before I commit too much to this project.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I really want to get a definitive answer/status of my engine and outdrive before I commit too much to this project.

Yah, that is pretty much the ticket right there. I'd haul it over to Pangborne Marine or Bay Outboard and have them check it. You'll probably have to cough up a couple hundred bucks but you'll have your answer and know exactly what needs to be done.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably skip that ^^^ and be looking for a rotted out fiberglass boat with a good driveline sitting in it. Best bang for the buck really.

Cheers Nate!

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jason, I was reading your Islander thread, and it looks like you did a great job of finding the fiberglass boat with the motor you wanted. I have one mechanic connection in the area that I'll probably take advantage of, and see what he thinks of the engine/outdrive. I'm not ready to give up yet on this Nova. It is a good looking boat, and the size is right. I know it would be sweet if I get it going.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I certainly wouldn't give up on the Nova. Sweet hull and well worthy of a repower.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Jason, I was reading your Islander thread, and it looks like you did a great job of finding the fiberglass boat with the motor you wanted.

Yah, that V6 mated to the Islander I think will be a very good combo. Should give me great performance and still good on fuel. I think a 4.3 V6 would be totally awesome in that Nova of yours!

Finding a donor boat with a complete driveline is really the best way to go in my opinion. You's have everything there in one spot and you know it all works together.

Yup, if I were standing in that Nova staring at that transom, I'd really want a V6 attached to it.:D

There would be some front motor mount fab work needed but not such a big deal.

I'm not ready to give up yet on this Nova. It is a good looking boat, and the size is right. I know it would be sweet if I get it going.

Agreed:)

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Jason, I was reading your Islander thread, and it looks like you did a great job of finding the fiberglass boat with the motor you wanted. I have one mechanic connection in the area that I'll probably take advantage of, and see what he thinks of the engine/outdrive. I'm not ready to give up yet on this Nova. It is a good looking boat, and the size is right. I know it would be sweet if I get it going.

I did the donor motor and outdrive - they can be found and I did it relatively economically - I just read the whole thread - my take is - and don't take this wrong - the swap out might be out of the range you can do in your garage - and if you have it done at a shop - it won't be worth it.

Sounds like you have other stuff going on too with the throttle cables....I was lucky enough to find a backyard mechanic to help me on the outdrive install - if you could find the same it might put you in a spot where you could get it going reliably - might try CL!!

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the ideas. It would be nice to find a reasonably priced backyard mechanic. It sounds like a project like this would definitively be very expensive if I had to have much of the work done by a regular marina.

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found a local mechanic and he is rebuilding my carb. If I can get the engine running smoothly it will be a big improvement, and I can go from there.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I was just wondering what you were up to on this Nova. Have ya had a chance to run a compression test yet?

Cheers!

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No not yet, maybe I can get a compression test done when we put the carb back on the engine. Man it would be sweet if the engine and outdrive are useable.

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well the engine is running again. It is running rough, however. It is burning some oil and has a noticeable ticking/clicking noise. My mechanic says it is probably a valve issue of some sort. From what he has seen so far he doesn't think the block is cracked, and thinks the engine is repairable. Obviously he has something to gain from that statement, but he has been honest so far, and with what he has charged me thus far I don't see him getting rich on the project.